[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this/mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: R-421057-1346605023-4851.jpeg.jpg (87KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
R-421057-1346605023-4851.jpeg.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
Thoughts on this/mu/?
>>
It's a lot of fun. I wish The Punch Line and What Makes a Man Start Fires got more attention though.
>>
>>72570629
Thoughts on Bob dylan?
>>
Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville, welcome to Jackass.
>>
It's a masterpiece
>>72570629
These are also good
>>
Is the second half better or something? Because I've tried to get through it multiple times but had to stop because of how utter garbage it was. And I'm a big fan of punk
>>
>>72570652
He wrote propaganda songs.
>>
Wack as fuck. Boring. Uninspired. Too simple.
>>
>>72570471
Mike Watt is a genius
>>
>>72570471
shitty pop punk mixed with radio indie. dont get the hype desu
>>
>>72570944
Pop punk? Get back to me when you've actually listened to the album. Only pop-y song on it is #1 Hit Song, and that's a very obvious satire.
>>
pretty good. don't think it's on a zen arcade level
>>
>>72571922
You're right. It's above Zen Arcade level.
>>
>>72570881
Honestly for me the album is pretty consistent all the way through. I can't decide which half is better
>>
>>72570471
I think it's okay. Too scattered for me, at least on my first listen.
>>
>>72570471
I think it's one of the best punk albums ever, really worth the hype it gets. It's also the punkiest record I've managed to get normie-core friends to hear. Feels funky, even danceable.

Minutemen is one of my favourite bands ever, the guitar and bass are good, the drums are tight. As a band I think they had great chemistry and a good sense of humor.
>>
File: SST058_750x750.jpg (521KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
SST058_750x750.jpg
521KB, 750x750px
What in the fuck went wrong?
>>
one of the hallmarks of a truly great rock album, imo, is having a variety of styles and sounds from song to song, and DNOTD is a perfect example of this

one of my favorite albums
>>
>>72572106
Guy from >>72572068 here, I have no idea. It's actually the only album I never manage to hear until the end. It feels different in a way I don't like.
Kind of sad that D. died and left with that album, maybe the future wasn't looking so bright for the songwriting in the next albums.
>>
>>72572256
It's not just the songwriting in my opinion. It's also the distinctly 80s reverby production. It doesn't fit with a band as punchy as Minutemen.
>>
>>72572106
This album makes me feel less sad that D died. I can just see them trailing on forever like Guided By Voices, making bad throwback rock albums every year for decades after their peak
>>
>>72572256
At least fIREHOSE made up for it.
>>
>>72570944
What does that even mean? The fucking attempts at criticism I see here. It's almost as bad as the guy who said Spiderland sucks because it's too acoustic.
>>
>>72571922
Agreed
I wish there was a little less funk and a little more punk but that's just personal opinion. Maybe I need to give it more time
>>
>>72572988
That's what makes them interesting though. People at punk venues used to spit on them for not being punk enough.
>>
>>72571922
Zen Arcade is the single most overrated punk album ever. Of all the great punk albums in 84 it's easily the worst
>>
>>72570881
I honestly don't understand how any one can dislike this album. Make sure to at least give it one more try and if you still don't like it then, to each his own I guess
>>
>>72573134
Yea seriously. It's wicked accessible and endlessly creative, many of the songs are fun, many are clever, it's one of those albums that seems like everyone would like it. Before this thread I didn't know that people didn't.

>>72573000
This. It's what separates it and put's it above other punk albums released at the time. If you want more strictly punk though just listen to their earlier stuff.
>>
>>72572988
I was about to say that for me it's the reverse but the anons here cleared it up pretty well
The rest of Post-Hardcore and punk feels too aggressive when compared to this
It makes it so distinct I can't find a similar band with this sound
Closest I got is Fugazi and even that isn't as mild as this
>>
>>72573407
>It makes it so distinct I can't find a similar band with this sound
Check out fIREHOSE. It's literally the remaining members of Minutemen. They're really fucking good, a bit crisper and faster than Minutemen. Meat Puppets are a little bit similar (Corona was definitely influenced by them, and there's even a song on fIREHOSE's debut called Under the Influence of Meat Puppets). But if you haven't listened to fIREHOSE you need to do that ASAP
>>
>>72572878
>>72573501
Actually yes, I've never fully heard a fIREHOSE, but I have heard Under the Influence of Meat Puppets and that song could've been a Minutemen one and I wouldn't have noticed. Maybe I'll hear them later this month, thanks for the rec. (I haven't made myself a lot of time for new music this year)
>>
>>72570471
Not groundbreaking or anything but I do like Minutemen. If you think it's good definitely check out their other albums, it's similar quality.

Best song on it's their cover of Dr. Wu

>>72572068
They definitely strike me as a band that had a ton of fun making music together. As far as their contemporaries go I think Husker Du is the best of the 80's punk scene.
>>
>>72571922
Yeah, probably because of how high above Zen Arcade it is.
>>
this album is tight as fuck. songs like vietnam are fucking amazing and fun to play
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.