[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greatest bassist of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: Dominic Forest lapointe.jpg (77KB, 736x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dominic Forest lapointe.jpg
77KB, 736x400px
Greatest bassist of all time?
>>
File: v79o2v.jpg (58KB, 500x639px) Image search: [Google]
v79o2v.jpg
58KB, 500x639px
>>
is this the thread where we pretend entwistle never existed?
>>
>>72550160
>john "let me ruin the songs with unnecessary fills" entwistle
>good
pick uno
>>
>>72550160
Yes. It's also the thread where we pretend Jaco never existed as well.
>>
Cliff Button
>>
File: squire.jpg (87KB, 530x644px) Image search: [Google]
squire.jpg
87KB, 530x644px
>>72550099
*blocks your path*
>>
>>72550099
John Ferarra. Way underground. But amazing dude. He played a phillip glass quartet by himself on insta. But listen to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvIzE6N_Yq8

The tightness with the drums even in tempo changes. The tapped out metal Beach Boys cover interjected in. I think he could learn anyone elses bass lines faster than they could learn his.
>>
Tony Levin
>>
>>72550213
>hear to get gud you have to play a few Who songs
>"wtf how hard can it be"
>Check tabs
>fucking fills and solos throughout the whole song
Why?
>>
>>72551858
Why not

That's what The Who were about, Townshend, Entwistle and Moon being as loud as possible
>>
>>72551997
>Entwistle also developed what he called a "typewriter" approach to playing the bass. It involved positioning his right hand over the strings so all four fingers could be used to tap percussively on the strings, causing them to strike the fretboard with a distinctive twangy sound. This gave him the ability to play three or four strings at once, or to use several fingers on a single string.

>Entwistle was notorious for the extremely high volume at which he played bass, going so far as to rig pick-ups to each string on his instruments. This led to him developing hearing loss, similar to Townshend. Although not as public about his problems as Townshend, he reputedly had to rely on lip reading to understand speech in his later years.

>Tfw I play bass and I pretty much dont play unless amp/bass are at 10 for volume and bass
Slightly worried here.
>>
>>72550683
dam i just saw this band a month ago, was totally blown the fuck away
>>
>>72552079
Remember their rigs were massive though, plus Moon's tendency to blow up his drumkit. Wear protectors and you're good.
>>
>>72550289
good list.
>>
Not the best but Eric Avery is very underrated
>>
Mike Watt, man
>>
the guy from Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna
>>
Nobody has posted Trevor Dunn so far.
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 1000x614px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 1000x614px
Name a better bassist that started in the 21st century.
>>
you all are fucking contrarian idiot. there are only 3 names: bob babbit, jamerson, pastorius
>>
Les Claypool
David Ellefson
Cliff Burton
John Entwistle
Jaco
Geddy Lee
Steve Harris
Ryan Martinie
Chris Squire
I could go all fucken day
>>
>>72550284
top de la kek de la kek de la kek
>>
>>72550289
most of those bassists are shit lmao
>>
>>72553414
Claypool, Burton and Harris are overrated as fuck, especially Claypool and Burton.. at least Harris is innovative.
The rest are great.. really really great.
>>
>>72553479
You think Claypool is overrated? Guy's a fuckin' mad man. Burton as an over all bassist is overrated, but I put him on their because he was very innovative as a soloist. But I'll give you that, I just like him personally and he is a huge influence on me. Harris is another personal favorite, he served his band by writing almost all of their songs and by being able to keep up with the guitars.
>>
>>72553479
>Steve Harris is innovative
>Les Claypool isn't
kek
>>
>>72550125
This.
>>
File: scott.jpg (32KB, 612x842px) Image search: [Google]
scott.jpg
32KB, 612x842px
The one true GOAT hasn't appeared on this thread yet.
I would say I'm dissapointed but I don't even expect the bare minimum from you guys
>>
>>72553479
>Claypool is overrated
>Harris is innovative
Are you fucking high?
>>
>>72552960
>>72553414
wild that only two of yall said pastorius

there's no other answer i dont give a single fuck what kind of argument any of you other people are throwing

it's jaco. end of discussion
>>
>>72550099
Besides a few that have already been mentioned ITT, I believe that Vern Rumsey is really underrated.
>>
>>72552097
I drove half avross the US to see them been following them about 5-6 years now youre the first ive seen on here who knows them
>>
Geezer butler. You fucking plebs.
>>
>>72552458
literally any of them dude
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.