[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some other good albums that are just like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: Ryo-Fukui-Scenery-Jazz.jpg (252KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ryo-Fukui-Scenery-Jazz.jpg
252KB, 1024x1024px
What are some other good albums that are just like this?
>>
Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz

Its not as "happy" sounding as Scenery, though
>>
there are people on this board RIGHT NOW that have listened to le youtube japanese beardo guy, and haven't heard kind of blue yet
>>
>>72543983
Thanks anon.

>>72544008
I've listened to Kind of Blue, but I prefer Scenery because of how much piano it's got desu
>>
>>72544008
No everybody here only to Kind of Blue, Scenery and The Epic
>>
>>72544008
kind of blue is so fucking overrated
>>
File: 1473817994805.jpg (23KB, 480x542px) Image search: [Google]
1473817994805.jpg
23KB, 480x542px
>>72544008
>saxophone jazz

does a gayer instrument exist?
>>
>>72543966
people only pretend to like this album because the artwork is cool and its jazz so it's instantly "i have le good taste in musik ; )"

it's such an inoffensive jazz album
>>
>>72544535
I don't know what inoffensive jazz album means.

I like it because the piano is used a lot in the album, and I like the way it sounds mixed with jazz.
>>
>>72544126
Why do you think people talk about Kind of Blue?
>>
File: 1493298484759.jpg (25KB, 796x436px) Image search: [Google]
1493298484759.jpg
25KB, 796x436px
>>72544517
thinking Miles Davis plays the saxophone when in fact he plays the trumpet
>>
>>72544557
>I like it because the piano is used a lot in the album, and I like the way it sounds mixed with jazz.
This isn't too far off a statement like:
>I like it because the guitar is used a lot in the album, and I like the way it sounds mixed with rock.
Like, that describes every album from Loveless to Chuck Berry is on Top, or in this case, everything form Earl Hines to Craig Taborn.
>>72544657
There are twice as many saxophone players on Kind of Blue as there are trumpet players though, so he's not exactly wrong.
>>
>>72544673
>There are twice as many saxophone players on Kind of Blue as there are trumpet players

twice as much talent in each of them as well
>>
>>72544126
A love supreme is better desu
>>
>>72544687
Coltrane is literally the second coming of Christ, so I won't argue with you there, but Miles was more creative, lyrical and forward thinking than Cannonball and had a way more consistent discog.
If by talent you mean technical ability, sure maybe. Miles wasn't the most skilled player, but what he lacked in pyrotechnics, he more than made up for with one of the best ears for melody, phrasing, tone, rhythm and harmony of any musician ever.
>>
>>72544761
>Miles wasn't the most skilled player

I swear he plays badly on purpose on kind of blue

when he was in bird's group he was twice the player
>>
>>72544790
>I swear he plays badly on purpose on kind of blue
I mean...that's one way to look at it. He deffinitely wasn't over stretching his chops. Most people interpret that as Miles being more concerned with expression than musical complexity at this time of his career though. Hence the move to modal music in the first place.
I think his playing is really beautiful on KOB. It's very sensitive/passionate and the simplicity of his playing really lends itself to the emotion in his playing.
He didn't lose the ferocity of his early days in the interim. The second quintet and fusion stuff that came afterwards was the most incendiary playing of his career.
>>
>>72543966
>What are some other good albums that are just like this?

Nujabes, Hans Zimmer, Tycho, Beach House, J Cole, Teebs
>>
>>72544947
>He definitely wasn't over stretching his chops

desu on some tracks it sounds like he's barely warmed up. Very thin tone and some cracks

I agree though that his ideas on KOB are great, it would just be nice if he played properly because he could have sounded twice as good
>>
>>72544997
>Very thin tone and some cracks
Is there any places around Kind of Blue you think it's particularly glaring and doesn't lend itself to the music? To my ears, he's a player who's very conscious of his own technical deficiencies and often those little flaws and scratches are carefully fitted into the phrasing of his lines.

One of the things that came to my mind when you said that was that strained high note as he's coming out of the first b section of So What.
https://youtu.be/ylXk1LBvIqU?t=2m8s
Like, they've established themselves in that different key and they play inside it long enough for it to sound natural, but that phrase and in particular, that strained note introduces the tension that makes returning to the original key feel so much more like a release.
>>
>>72545144
>that strained note introduces the tension that makes returning to the original key feel so much more like a release

it's nice if you get that out of it but as a trumpet player I'm afraid it makes me uncomfortable. I just hear pinching and straining, which are the cardinal sins of good playing. It's inexplicable to me because on other albums davis' proves he's not a bad player technically
>>
>>72545246
>It's inexplicable to me because on other albums davis' proves he's not a bad player technically
So it's basically proof that it's intentional. The fact that it causes you discomfort makes sense- it's tension- it's supposed to cause a little discomfort.
>>
>>72544535
>everyone is just pretending to like it
You are a meme
>>
File: 52793-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-67od.jpg (99KB, 700x695px) Image search: [Google]
52793-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-67od.jpg
99KB, 700x695px
>>
>>72545246
>as a trumpet player I'm afraid it makes me uncomfortable
I can appreciate that. Good musicianship is kind of beat into you learning stuff like jazz or classical. I don't feel that way, but I've got friends who throw up a little in their mouths when they see stuff like prepared piano.
It's a hard bias to shake, but if it's inhibiting you from enjoying some stuff, it might be worth your while trying to shake it.
>>
File: 1380342643230s.jpg (6KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1380342643230s.jpg
6KB, 250x241px
>it's a "/mu/ cares more about the album art than the music on the album" episode
>>
John Coltrane - Ayo i play the oriental chinky music nigga
>>
>>72544535
>pretending to like music for the sake of image
LUL
>>
>>72543966
>>72544058
>>72544126
>>72544557
Honestly OP album is so fucking mediocre. I don't fucking understand why you sheep blew it up.
>>
>>72545550
IT CAME FROM JAPAN!!!!
>>
>>72545550
Maybe because it's a great starting point for jazz
You could do us and yourself a favor maybe by recommending albums you think are better, but with a similar sound/mood
>>
>>72546394
Every Bill Evans album
>>
>>72543966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGc7YvQzeM

Amazing work
>>
>>72546394
It's cocktail jazz and there are thousands of pianists who do it just as well/better than he does and even a couple of dozen who are worth listening to. I'm not sure it's worth actually recommending good artists to you cause you're aggrandizing what is at best, amature playing. Here's some piano covers of Autumn Leaves I found on Youtube. Have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmAcdHbJZ2A&ab_channel=MiquelAranaz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9Y5QxFuRE&ab_channel=DavidEscher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Kz0_S_3qM&ab_channel=JonnyMay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtdxb3zkZ4&ab_channel=Nuetful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yc4Tv9ma5g&ab_channel=TerranceShider
>>
>>72544126
Fucc you.
>>
>>72546559
okay now you're just being pretentious
>>
>>72546693
>shows how fucking clueless you are
>"p-p-p-pretentious"
>>
>>72546693
Am I? Pretty sure you're the one biging up Ryo to be better than he is.
Why don't you look at that first track there with like 150 views and compare it to Ryo's cover? Tell why his is so much better.
>>
>>72543966
listen to Bud Powell ya dingus
>>
File: o.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
o.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>72546425
No one going to point this out?
>>
>>72546773
seconded

best pianist bar maybe peterson
>>
>>72546750
That was not even my point really, the part that I found to be pretty pretentious was the "I could show you some good artist but you'd probably be too pleb for that lol" part.
Most people on /mu/ probably barely know any jazz other than the jazz on the mu essentials, so I think if you really feel like people are missing out on better jazz than ryo fukui, why not enlighten them, you know...
Also am I really biging up Ryo that much? Pretty much all I said was that he was a good starting point.
>>
keith jarrets my favorite jazz pianist.
>>
>>72547004
If this was a /jazz/, I'd probably have posted the jtg chart or something, but I like shitposting in Ryo Fukui and Kamasi generals.
Anyway, if you still think Ryo Fukui is worth hearing as a newcomer, it's really not that hard to google "jazz pianists". You won't get terribly different recommendations from here and you won't have some asshole like me telling you how shit and undiscerning your taste is.
>>
>>72546559
True
>>
>>72547077
it's almost like you're intentionally lowering the quality of discussion
>>
>>72548153
Do you really think that's a possibility? I just can't imagine anyone intentionally lowering the quality of a discussion on 4chan. Normally there's so much rich and profound discussion.
>>
>>72548277
spare me
/jazz/ is one of the better generals in terms of discussion
>>
>>72548153
By not spoonfeeding you?
Dude, I made points, they weren't refuted or engaged with and you took offense at me pointing out how much a lazy ass you are asking for jazz recs "with piano" when you've heard less than 50 jazz albums.
>>
>>72548153
No, you're just an idiot.
>>
>>72548153
>asks to be spoonfed like a newfag
>tells other people that they are lowering the quality of the board

jeaus fuck go back to your youtube recommendations list and stop posting on /mu/
>>
>>72548524
>>72548618
>>72548688
Spoonfeeding will be a problem on /mu/ for as long as people with Reddit cookies are allowed to post.
You're fighting a losing battle, sorry to say.
>>
>>72544557
>I don't know what inoffensive jazz album means.
pls
>>
>>72548810
I wasn't trying to win some battle for the future of quality of discussion on /mu/. Hell, I only come here in the first place to chat with the 6 or 7 knowledgeable guys who frequent /jazz/.
I was just in a pissy mood and felt like being pissy. I got it out of my system and went for a run. I feel better now, so I'd call that a win.
>>
>>72543966
I fucking hate people that don't know a neckbeard when they see one.
If your beard grows on your neck and not your face, fucking shave it.
>>
>>72549063
i hate YOU
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.