[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Nirvana Sound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 298590045454554.jpg (126KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
298590045454554.jpg
126KB, 600x455px
Today I read this on Nirvana's RYM page.

"They weren't in it for the money, just release. Kurt was transformational and every time you heard their songs played on MTV or the radio it came as some sort of sudden onset which would make you stop whatever you were doin'. I didn't always know what was comin' next but me and countless millions always wanted more, which was not to be. Additionally, [b]the Nirvana sound would never be cloned[/b], despite the tireless efforts of the Record Machine that tried to milk them for it never knew what they were worth..."

Does that mean that there aren't bands that have the same sound as Nirvana and that no one can create that sound? Now I'm curious, please share some bands that have that Nirvana sound.
>>
it's because of his voice bruh. might not be the best voice ever, but it was the most unique(whilst still being satisfying) voice.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dEfAedJpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwOMXfkh1c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwOMXfkh1c8

I always thought their guitar tone was a more polished version of the Sex Pistols, which Kurt cited as a major influence
Songwriting like Husker Du
Wavves the closest Nevermind clone sonically since Nevermind was released

No one can replicate Kurt's voice, I'll give them that and one of the best bands of the 90s even if they did have influences
>>
>>72524596
>No one can replicate Kurt's voice, I'll give them that and one of the best bands of the 90s even if they did have influences

That's why all the shitty post-grunge bands copied Eddie Vedder's voice instead. Cobain was just about impossible to accurately replicate, not because he was a great singer or had range, but due to his vocal tics and phrasing (Rape Me is probably the best example of this).
>>
nirvana was just a melvins tribute band
>>
le rip off killing joke
>>
>>72524057
>Does that mean that there aren't bands that have the same sound as Nirvana
No one will ever have the exact sound as Nirvana, no.
>>
>>72524057
Mudhoney were basically the proto-Nirvana
>>
>>72524699
He was a great singer, not in some technical aspects (clarity or range, as you said) but that's part of what gave it its character.

It was charred and passionate and cut through the mix like a buzzsaw.

Double tracking and contradictory lyrics added to this, every Nirvana song sounds like Kurt having an argument with himself reflecting an inner turmoil that a lot of people could connect with.
>>
>>72524699
And therein lies his real gift, which was his vocal expressiveness. He was fantastic at making his voice convey just what he was feeling, in the same way Hendrix had a gift for expressive guitar playing.
>>
>>72524930
Maybe the guitar tone, but Nirvana had much more melodic songwriting and were differently lyrically. Tighter and more astute.
>>
>>72524943
Most singers with tons of range have absolutely no expression (think Mariah Carey) and never transcend the purely mechanical. It's rare to have someone like Roy Orbison or Rob Halford with both enormous range and also expressiveness.
>>
>>72525100
there's also devin townsend but I get your point
>>
>>72525100
>It's rare to have someone like Roy Orbison or Rob Halford with both enormous range and also expressiveness

Funny you should mention Halford because his counterpart Bruce Dickinson also had loads of range, but he never had the same expressive ability. He's always sounded very stiff.
>>
That was where Frank Sinatra succeeded. He didn't have the best range or vocal timbre, but the guy's phrasing and expression were phenomenal. Most of his contemporaries like Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como, etc didn't have that. They were usually more interested in the mechanics of singing than actually selling the listener on the words of the song.
>>
>>72525262
what other singers have this in your opinion?
>>
>>72524943
Noko might not have the same voice as Kurt Cobain but his band(shinsei kamattechan) and a lot of their song.really great at showing and convey their emotion. But I agreed.Kurt Cobain voice is awesome. no one could clone his voice.
>>
>>72526598
Noko is a good comparison and songs like いかれたNeet from Shinsei Kamattechan's first album. I'd say he's even better live which is a huge thing when it comes to this kind of screaming.
>>
>>72526886
Ikr!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.