[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell happened? How in the world did it decay to this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

File: 51WR8T2QGGL.jpg (35KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
51WR8T2QGGL.jpg
35KB, 301x300px
What the hell happened? How in the world did it decay to this point? Is there an accepted version of events that I can read somewhere?
>>
This album is a genuine insight into how loathsome of a human being Mike Love truly is.
>>
File: 1488690687960.gif (3MB, 466x256px) Image search: [Google]
1488690687960.gif
3MB, 466x256px
The Beach Boys
They made the greatest album of all time
aaaaand perhaps the worst album of all time
>>
the whole album is a pleb filter my dude
>>
>>72515699
No, I'm not interested in memeing. Summer in Paradise is the worst thing I've ever heard and I want to know how it came to be as someone not overly knowledgeable of Beach Boys history.
>>
that whale looks so fucking cool
>>
>>72515349
Very simple really
>Brian Wilson leads Beach Boys, they make GOAT stuff like Pet Sounds and SMiLE
>Brian's mental health deteriorates
>Other members start to contribute equally to the band
>All write some good music and continue as a great band for some time
>Carl and Dennis Wilson in particular come out as great songwriters and band leaders
>Eventually begin to get worse into the 80s because what band didn't at that time?
>This is exacerbated by Brian being controlled by his psychiatrist Gene Landy who fucks him up more than he was
>Mike leads the band into making a song called Kokomo
>Amazingly becomes their biggest hit in years
>Band decide to let Mike lead the band, especially as Brian is now not able to perform due to his wife trying to get him out of Landy's clutches
>Carl is too busy helping with this to stop it
>Dennis is dead
>Al tries to stop the album but gets "suspended" from the group. Shuts up about it so he can be let back in.
>Bruce just does what he's told
>Mike decides to make an album the Mike Love way
>Doesn't write songs with other band members
>Songs are about cars, girls and surfing IN NINETEEN NINETY THREE
>Uses very, very early Protools, including the MIDI instruments
>Don't let the rest of the band contribute to the instrumentation
>This is the outcome
>>
I'm surprised no one made a vaporwave remix of this whole album yet.
>>
>>72515936
I would spend good money to download this off Bandcamp if someone did
>>
>>72515797
>Al tries to stop the album but gets "suspended" from the group.

This seriously happened? Source?
>>
>>72516378
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/low_tide_the_beach_boys_hit_rock_bottom_in_1992_with_summer_in_paradise
>Al Jardine was suspended from the band in the early stages of the recording due to a “severe attitude problem,” however he was reinstated in final weeks leading up to the completion the project.
By "stop" I meant more that he thought it was a terrible idea and was against recording it
>>
>>72516450
Based Al. Shame Carl didn't do the same.
>>
>>72515797
This is pretty accurate. How Mike Love thought surfing and cars could still be a popular theme 30 years later is beyond me.
>>
File: 1480840817787.png (72KB, 153x186px) Image search: [Google]
1480840817787.png
72KB, 153x186px
>>72516785
>you can only make music about popular things
>>
i'd rather listen to 5 hours of bootleg japanoise than sit through that piece of shit again. Holy shit, summer of love is legitimately one of the worst songs of all time
>>
Fuck Mike love
>>
>>72517167
t. brian
>>
>>72517438
t. Mike Manlet
>>
>>72517457
>Manlet
Mike Love is like 6'5" dude, he'll fuck your shit up.
>>
>>72516950
none of them even knew how to surf
>>
>>72517438

Brian's too innocent to tell other people to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>72517489
Except Dennis

>>72517479
Except when I kick him in the dick
>>
>>72515797
>>72516785
I mean considering Mike Love will probably sell out shows forever to old farts that will dig that stuff, I'm not surprised.
>>
>>72516785
>How Mike Love thought surfing and cars could still be a popular theme 30 years later is beyond me.
YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THE FORMULA, ANONYMOUS.
>>
File: old.png (20KB, 207x172px) Image search: [Google]
old.png
20KB, 207x172px
>tfw summer of love finally clicked
>>
>>72519042
HEY NOW
>>
>>72517490
he said the version of Surf's Up with his vocals is "absolute shit" or something like that
which is actually kinda weird because he's considerably better than Carl as a lead in that song
>>
>>72515797
You forgot fucking John Stamos massacring a classic 60's Beach Boys song.
>>
Al is the most based figure in BB history
Nigga can still sing the best out of any of the living ones
>>
>>72515406
this
>>
i dont understand why summer of love gets so much hate
>>
>>72522600
This, it's goofy but in a fun way. It's like people have never heard of Snakefinger or any Devo past their first album or any other zolo music in their life.
>>
>>72515391
[spoiler]well its a love thing[/spoiler]
>>
>>72516950
you do when you're making POP MUSIC you fucking retard, you know what the POP stands for don't you?
>>
>>72522631
>doesn't use spoilers correctly
>doo doo dudududu yeeeeeeah
>>
>>72522662
nigga i did use them correctly idk why it didn't work Mike Love probably that fucking asshole
>>
File: 1493571510021.png (390KB, 507x438px) Image search: [Google]
1493571510021.png
390KB, 507x438px
>The quasi-rap number "Summer of Love" was originally intended to be a duet with Bart Simpson for a planned Simpsons movie, but the Simpsons producers turned down the offer.
>>
File: Al Jardine.jpg (21KB, 400x443px) Image search: [Google]
Al Jardine.jpg
21KB, 400x443px
>>72522405
Al is pretty much /ourguy/
>>
>>72522656
The album _was_ full of horrible early 90s cliches and they could have had even more if Summer of Love had included Mike's original idea for a duet with Bart Simpson.
>>
File: Surf's Up.jpg (123KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Surf's Up.jpg
123KB, 600x600px
What went wrong?
>>
>>72523588
Student Demonstration Time
>>
This song is really good.
https://youtu.be/Q82DvG2ICMY
>>
>>72523605
HEY NOW
>>
>>72523605
>1992
>early 80s production
>>
>>72523588
Don't Go Near the Water, Take a Load Off Your Feet, Lookin' at Tomorrow and Student Demonstration Time
>>
>>72523600
That track is great. Your reasonable but unrelated hate of Mike Love is actually skewing your perception of it.
>>
The grunge guitars make no sense either. The Beach Boys were never a hard rock act to begin with.
>>
>>72524173
The grunge guitars on what?
>>
>>72524158
It's okay but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album.
>>
File: Summer of Love.gif (4MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Summer of Love.gif
4MB, 480x360px
HEY NOW
>>
>>72523588
That's such a cool cover. Like, when I saw it all I could say was "holy fuck, that's the darkest shit ever.... And it's called 'surfs up'.... And it's a Beach Boys album"
>>
>>72524158
it's fine but the lyrics are dog shit and it doesn't fit the album at all
>>
File: Bruce Johnston.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce Johnston.gif
2MB, 480x360px
Has any classic band had a lower low-point than the Beach Boys?
>>
>>72527261
The Who
>>
>>72527261
The Clash
>>
On a slightly unrelated note, did anyone see the Brian Wilson show in Albany last week?
>>
>>72527261
Aerosmith in the early 80s.
>>
>>72527261
Late 70s Black Sabbath.
>>
>>72516549
Unfortunately Carl went pretty middle of the road in the 80s. His solo material is basically Christopher Cross type stuff. It's a shame cause his songwriting on albums like Holland and Surf's Up were fantastic and really forward thinking. But even then Summer in Paradise is far worse than anything he did solo so I'm not sure why he signed on.
>>
>>72515349
apparently Van Dyke Parks played in this album
why
>>
>>72517479
Dude even Brian beat the shit out of mike love once. And this was late 70s, horribly overweight, mentally unstable Brian.
>>
I actually like a couple of songs off this album
>>
>>72528507
>>72528454
I think these are worse because the Beach Boys were already considered music legends by the time SiP dropped, as horrible as it was, their legacy was already set in stone. Aerosmith and Sabbath hadn't yet cemented their legacy at these points, they were just a bunch of washed up drug addicts and the butt of jokes.
>>
>>72526834
This really.
It's musically cool as shit, with a particularly nice guitar tone, but the lyrics try so hard to be topical it comes across as pandering. For a protest song it just sounds like an out of touch person trying to be hip with the "activist kids". It's the musical equivalent of that tryhard Pepsi ad.
>>
>>72528581
That's more comparable to Frank Sinatra in the early 50s when he was an irrelevant washed up faggot performing at Vegas hotels in front of 20 people. Maybe also 70s Roy Orbison.
>>
>>72528607
Big deal, the SiP title track had an environmentalist message on it. Is that any more or less trying to be a protest song?
>>
>>72528682
SiP fucking sucks, that's what we're discussing.
Mike Love is a good singer but a terrible and inconsistent songwriter.
>>
>>72515797
This is actually fairly accurate.
On a slightly related note: Brian's work around those years was the best it'd been since Love You. His Self Titled and Orange Create Art are great albums. Though, the latter is more a Van Dyke Parks album with Brian as a performer.
>>
https://youtu.be/8_7iA7d8F0o

I LOVE this track, groovy video too

Thanks, Mike.
>>
>>72528740
90s brian is aesthetic
>>
>>72528740
He was doing really good work with The Beach Boys in the 90s that didn't get released. Check out You're Still a Mystery and Soul Searchin if you haven't heard them. Apparently the rest of the band didn't like them so they shelved any plans of working more with him.
>>
>>72529231
Questionable. Imagination as a whole is bad. There's some good unreleased stuff from the Paley recordings and Sweet Insanity, but like all his stuff since his comeback; sometimes, it's great and sometimes he's so off the ball, it's nearly as bad as Summer in Paradise. The main difference being, Mike Love is a shit person and when he's making shit music, it's insufferable.
Brian's often unenthusiastic with the album making process and so he puts out albums masterminded and put together by producers looking to make a quick bit of cash off Brian's name. The new album should have just been called Pier Pressure instead.
>>
>>72523588
Literally nothing except for >>72523600 which isn't THAT bad. It's great album
>>
>>72517515
Don't forget all the millennials who don't realize they're not seeing the real Beach Boys.
>>
>>72529634
>Literally nothing except for >>72523600 which isn't THAT bad. It's great album
It wouldn't be that bad on a different album. It's a sore ass thumb on Surf's Up though.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Brian Wilson [Sire, 1988]

What made Brian's utopian fantasy so believable was the guileless hypocrisy of the simpletons fate and family tied him to--his shy, sincere, goofy, subtly tortured lyrics took off from the cheerful hedonism of the Beach Boys' secular chorales and white-boy soul. Solo, the pain in his voice is all too unmediated, and he isn't deep enough to make something of it--he sounds like the sincere, talented, mildly pretentious nut he is. What's more, his multiproduced million-dollar return is weighed down by a collective Phil Spector obsession--comes off incredibly labored. Of course, Smile was probably kind of overwrought too. B-

I Just Wasn't Made for These Times [MCA, 1995] :(

Imagination [Giant, 1998]

Wilson's genius has never been as indelible or universal as worshipers believe. Generating illusions of eternal sunlight or crafting frames for crackpot solipsism, he was magical; stripped by Don Was or cambered by Van Dyke Parks, he was at least interesting. Submitting to adult-contempo tycoon Joe Thomas, however, he's just what you'd fear: a middle-aged pop pro who's proud he's no longer nuts and knows even less about the world than when he was. The lead cut has a happy tune, the dark finale some dysfunctional intimations. In between, he makes too much of attendant hacks and gestures at old glories from a failing high end. C
>>
Gettin' in Over My Head [Rhino, 2004] *bomb*

SMiLE [Nonesuch, 2004]

There are many things I don't miss about the '60s, including long hair, LSD, revolutionary rhetoric, and folkies playing drums. But the affluent optimism that preceded and then secretly pervaded the decade's apocalyptic alienation is a lost treasure of a time when capitalism had so much slack in it that there was no pressing need to stop your mind from wandering. Brian Wilson grokked surfing because it embodied that optimism, and though I considered the legend of Smile hot air back then, this re-creation proves he had plenty more to make of it. The five titles played for minimalist whimsy on Smiley Smile mean even more orchestrated, and the newly released fragments are as strong as the whole songs they tie together. Smile's post-adolescent utopia isn't disfigured by Brian's thickened, soured 62-year-old voice. It's ennobled--the material limitations of its sunny artifice and pretentious tomfoolery acknowledged and joyfully engaged. This can only be tonic for Americans long since browbeaten into lowering their expectations by the rich men who are stealing their money. A+

That Lucky Old Sun [Capitol, 2008]

Born-again optimist's L.A. even has Mexicans in it ("Southern California," "Morning Beat"). *
>>
>>72516950
Mike Love was blatantly attempting to be popular, so picking such themes was a stupid decision.
>>
>>72529725
>Born-again optimist's L.A. even has Mexicans in it

Kek, christgau is a bit of a cunt and has some wacky opinions sometimes but every now and then he comes up with a pretty hilarious line.
>>
>>72516549
>>72528516
I'm pretty sure he was heavily involved with getting Brian out of the Landy contract himself, so I'm sure his focus was on that more than on what the band were doing.
>>
Is this the only patrician latter-day Beach Boys song?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAdeXsyIvE4
>>
I'm just listening this and really it's not that bad. It just sounds like something vaporwave artists would plunder to no end.
I'd probably not listen to this more than once but the people who trash this as the worst album of all time probably haven't listened to true garbage like Hello Kitty Suicide Squad or some other shit.
This just sounds like some 90s sitcom soundtrack. Beach Boy fags stay mad.
>>
File: 1426011955144.png (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1426011955144.png
23KB, 200x200px
>Summer in Paradise
>puts American flag on UK edition
>>
Is this the star wars prequels of /mu/?
>>
>>72531272
GIRL YOU KNOW I'M GONNA SAIL AWAY
>>
File: IMG_0829.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0829.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Who else here /physicalcopy/?
>>
>>72531664
you lucky piece of shit
>>
>>72531664
im actually jelly
>>
>>72531690
>>72531696
Want some exclusive inside pictures?
>>
>>72531664
Did you have to sell a kidney for that?
>>
>>72531950
yes
>>
>>72531950
sure
>>
>>72530451
There and Back Again off their last album is their best song since Love You
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.