[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: great lesser-known post-rock albums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10

File: a3368010475_10.jpg (165KB, 1200x1173px) Image search: [Google]
a3368010475_10.jpg
165KB, 1200x1173px
Been on a post-rock kick recently and wanted to find some new stuff to listen to, any suggestions? Pic absolutely related.
>>
>>72492713
Definitely, would recommend We Lost at Sea - departure songs or anything by god is an astronaut if you haven't checked them out yet.
>>
>>72492921
I've listened to All is Violent, All is Bright and really liked it, need to listen to more of their stuff.
>>
>>72492713
Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Herd of Instinct - O'Rang (They have some relation to Talk Talk)
And So I Watch You From Afar - S/T

I don't know quite how lesser known they are, but I will vouch for these three albums all being very good.
>>
>>72492713
Good shit, I've been looking for more stuff like this.
>>
>>72492713
if you like Oh Hiroshima, you should really delve into old Explosions in the Sky. Most of it is generic, repetitive and overrated, but check this album out.

Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever
>>
>>72492713
If you really want to get into post-rock, I would recommend starting from the beginning and then working your way up. Very rewarding.
>>
>>72492713
Nice YouTube recommendations core
>>
Might as well name drop a few other great albums in case you've not listened to them:

The Ascent of Everest - How Lonely Sits the City
>Nu sort of band that took the Godspeed formula and did a fairly nice job of creating some crescendo-core that was actually pretty good. Think Mono, but better.
El Ten Eleven - El Ten Eleven
>Always surprises me how good this is. Maybe it is just me, but always worth another listen to confirm.
Esmerine - If Only a Sweet Surrender to the Nights to Come Be True
>Guitar-less godspeed spin-off. Really great sound based around the cello. This album and the follow up are great. Rest of their discog not so much.
Fly Pan Am - Fly Pan Am
>Another godspeed related group that kind of got ignored. I really enjoy their sound. Different, but not too out there.
Hangedup - Hangedup
>Viola heavy, amazingly entertaining live, faster paced, no guitars.
HṚṢṬA - L'eclat Du Ciel Etait Insouten
>Really strongly recommend this band. Canadian again, but they create an engulfing sound. Different to the generic sound associated with a lot of mediocre post-rock.
Mogwai - EP+6
>easily theior strongest release. This and their "My Father My Kind" EP are must-haves.
Mono - You are There
>Essential record. Rest of their discog is average.
Mono & Worlds End Girlfriend - Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain
>Only mentioning this as the middle section of the record is amazing. Rest is ok.
Natural Snow Buildings - Ghost Folks
>Their only true post-rock record, and it is one of the best I've ever heard. They have better albums, but everything they do is near flawless.
Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder
>This and their follow up records are near perfect. Everything I love about the genre. Lot of samples and field recordings.
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms
Love this group. If you don't know them, start here. Can be a bit abrasive, but worth it. I have a soft spot for Efrim's voice...
>>
File: cover_165611762013_r.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover_165611762013_r.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
2bh
>>
File: folder.jpg (10KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
10KB, 500x477px
Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles - A Boldogság Minden Reményét Elragadták
>>
File: folder.jpg (35KB, 617x616px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
35KB, 617x616px
Zbogom, Ajda - Statika
>>
File: T O W E R by C H R I S T .jpg (120KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
T O W E R by C H R I S T .jpg
120KB, 1000x1000px
Very poorly produced, though.
>>
File: NSB - The Winter Ray.jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
NSB - The Winter Ray.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
>>72494320
>Natural snow buildings
I prefer this album to ghost folks but I guess you could call it ambient. Shadow kingdom is their best overall though.
Good taste btw
>>
File: sumo-after-chabc3b3n-1987.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sumo-after-chabc3b3n-1987.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
Sumo was the band of the great Luca Prodan, one of the great ones of argentine rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8IeLwGdbg

They developed a very post rock sound, I suppose they aren't that well known outside south america.
>>
File: 2012 - Différance.jpg (55KB, 770x770px) Image search: [Google]
2012 - Différance.jpg
55KB, 770x770px
jambinai. saw them live last week, they were fuckin great
>>
>>72492921
Mah nigga, Departure Songs is my jam. Bogatryi really gets to me, especially after reading about the story its based on.
>>
If we're talking about lesser known post-rock, the there's plenty of those.

We've got Swivel Stick, Mob, Ulan Bator, and Leech
>>
File: pacifcUV.jpg (14KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
pacifcUV.jpg
14KB, 495x495px
Here are some pretty obscure recs.

Looking for recs of post-rock stuff that uses alot of samples, stuff similar to Set Fire To Flames

PacifcUV - s/t (2003)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZsXxNvsDSI

Radian - Juxtaposition (2004)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6mZE1WkXg

Red Star Theory - Life in a Bubble Can Be Beautiful (1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3FhjunSws
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.