[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alt-country

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: beingthere.gif (126KB, 504x507px) Image search: [Google]
beingthere.gif
126KB, 504x507px
I'm into Lambchop, Neko Case, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Bill Callahan, and Sturgill Simpson. I've also always loved it when Neil Young, the Stones, and the Byrds dabbled into country. Could anyone rec me some other great alt-country-ish artists/albums, especially in the vein of the artists I've mentioned?
>>
File: rdcti.jpg (64KB, 700x462px) Image search: [Google]
rdcti.jpg
64KB, 700x462px
James McMurtry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nggqe-L9ZQ8
>>
>>72476546
Not quite what I was looking for, but holy shit, Larry McMurtry has a son who makes music? As a lifelong north Texan I appreciate this, thanks for the rec.
>>
>>72476453
Magnolia electric Co
Southeastern by Jason isbell
>>
File: oldman2.jpg (103KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
oldman2.jpg
103KB, 780x780px
>>72476704
>Magnolia electric Co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iattIZ6y5PM

god damn this brought my depression back
>>
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pjrmH967c

I really love this album
shame they went to shit immediately afterwards
>>
>>72477007
Completely forgot to mention that I love Silver Jews, too, and I've heard several others on this chart, so I guess I know more about alt-country than I thought. Still a useful chart, much appreciated.
>>72476704
>>72476827
Been meaning to check out Isbell's work. Am I gonna cry a lot?
>>
>>72477273
>Am I gonna cry a lot?
god yes
>>
Hank. Fucking. 3.
>>
>>72477287
Three tracks into the "Magnolia Electric Co" album and I'm already loving this. Exactly what I was looking for.
>>72477341
I first listened to Hank III several years ago and didn't like it at all. Which songs/albums would you recommend?
>>
>>72477498
Just realized I'm retarded and got Molina and Isbell mixed up
>>
>>72477498
Any idea which albums you listened to? His first two are solid albums, but a little too traditional. Damn Right Rebel Proud through Rebel Within is pretty much considered his wheelhouse with the country/metal blend, but I’m partial to Ghost to a Ghost/Gutter Town just because he experiments with a bunch of different stuff I’d never heard before then. I will admit he’s very hard to get into
>>
>>72477748
It was way too long ago to remember and it wasn't an album, it was a handful of YouTube links someone referred me to.
>>
>>72476632
Nigger he plays shows all over Tx, on the reg
>>
>>72477901
Yeah IDK how I've never heard him before, probably because nobody I know IRL is into rootsy music
>>
>>72477748
Lovesick broke and drifting is his most "country" album but agree ghost to a ghost and straight to hell Are good and damn right and. rebel proud
>>
>>72476453
You should check out Gary Stewart
>>
Speaking of some of these guys in the last year I’ve seen Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, and the Drive-By Truckers live, and holy shit those are all must-see shows if y’all get the chance
>>
>>72476632
Levelland is his best song, especially if you're a west Texan like myself. His songs tell stories as well as his fathers novels.

>>72477341
Hank 3 is an absolute abortion. Fuck you
>>
Any alt-country with noise rock/shoegaze influences that's not Mazzy Star or Mojave 3?
>>
>>72478791
Sorry, I forgot good country is supposed to be super serious all the time
>>
File: cover-doubleroses.jpg (464KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cover-doubleroses.jpg
464KB, 1500x1500px
listen to this op
>>
>>72479006
When did I ever imply good country is supposed to be super serious. I love a goofy country guy like Ray Wylie Hubbard.

But Hank 3's overtly trashy "screamo-core" country is total garbage. Enjoy hanging out with the Whites in West Virginia tonight you hillbilly
>>
16 Horsepower
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.