[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is MBDTF overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2989.jpg (93KB, 750x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2989.jpg
93KB, 750x749px
Do you think people overblow how good the album is or do you think the praise is justified?

Discuss.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12844091/
>>
yeah
>>
It was one of the best albums of 2010, but I don't know why people call it the "best"

probably just because of the comeback factor
>>
>>72464783
best album cover
>>
Fact: if their indie overlord and savior Shitfork didn't give this a 10, when they were still very indie and not anti-white, nobody would care 1/4 as much about this mediocre 8.5/10 at best album.
>>
>>72464959
>mediocre
>8.5/10
Hmm
>>
ages like fine wine too
>>
>>72464783
It's not even a good album let alone one of the best of the decade
>>
>>72464975
AT BEST
>>
>>72465011
So it's a 5/10 but maybe an 8.5 at a push?
>>
>>72465024
5/10 overall, 8.5/10 if you delete a lot of songs and turn it into an EP
>>
>>72464783
Blame Game is one of the few things that holds it down honestly

Also See Me Now is one of the worst bonus tracks EVER conceived
>>
I've only recently started listening to Kanye songs, and I still don't understand how he got as big as he did in the mainstream.

I really like Otis and Black Skinhead, but mostly because I think the tracks are sick.
Don't think I've even heard any of the tracks off of MBDTF other than Power and that's an ok track.
>>
>>72465263
Follow the timeline. First 2 albums grabbed the attention of the rap community, 3rd album grabbed the attention of the mainstream.
>>
>>72465263
Carefully planned marketing
>>
>>72465051
t. Scaruffi
>>
>>72464783
WARNING: This is an unfair and kinda butthurt rant on Kanye's fans and especially how much they overrate MBDTF, but I really want to discuss this. It's great copy-pasta material anyways. Some writen by myself, when we had a competition about the best album trilogy in which VU's largely superior trilogy(VU& Nico, White Light/White heat, S/T) lost to post-MBDTF Kanye, and some other shit I found in /mu/. They are a bit edited tho so it can make more sense.
MBDTF is one of the most overrated albums ever, especially here and in /mu/.
The fact that the MBDTF trilogy is prefered over the classic Velvet Underground trilogy only proves how close-minded and brainwashed Kanye fanboys are in the matter. Propably most of them haven't even heard of velvet undrground and mindlessly voted for Kanye, like they did in the previous competition with CAN.
The VU are propably the most influential band ever. Not only they achieved the ultimate psychedelic expirience, but with those three albums, they provided the ultimate documentary of the cynic urban life of the 60's and 70's, while also being aware of avant-garde movements. But it loses to a pop-rap album (that happens to be one of the best of it's kind) that simply digitaly adopts what was considered "great" or "cool" at the time. That's right an album, because everyone prefer the post-MBDTF trilogy because of MBDTF everyone knows that Yeezus and TLOP where just medicore.
I'm a music conservatory graduate. I spent years analyzing music, so when I come across something that's medicore, I know. MBDTF sonically is no more complex than a amateur soundcloud artist and it has the lyrical complexity of 15 year old ((let me remind you of these legendary lines:
>at the mall there was a seance
>just kids no paronts
>because the same people who tried to blackball me
>forgot about two things: my black balls
>have you ever has sex with a Pharoah?
>I put the pussy in a sarcophagus )).
>>
>>72466285
You propably don't care about it's thematology if you not rich or if you are not Kanye.
I understand that the complexity is not a mesurment for quality but I don't think anything this simple is worth being praised just because it's marketable.
This can be seen in the fact that Kanye analyses on /mu/ and other alt-music-media have the journalistic complexity of a huffington post article (actually less; huffpo articles seem to stick to a central argument, which seems to be absent especially here on /mu/) and the lexical complexity barely goes beyond a 3rd grade vocabulary. Not only are these analyses intended for audiences who frequent Scandinavian stamp pressing factories, but they're intended to provoke well informed people, who can differentiate real mentally stimulating™ music, from the braindead drivel that is endlessly pumped into the unwashed masses, into thinking that they're only listening to it because of how highly regarded it is in mainstream sources, in order to make them think they should listen to bandcamp musicians whose music isn't well known and is therefore not good.
Again MBDTF is just perfectly marketable. There has never been such a great production in an album, and production sells obviously but it's not the only thing that matters. The combination of rap and soul music of the era, along with the twisted thematology perfectly reflected the fantasies of it's listeners that's why it became so popular. However by now it's nothing we haven't heard before and it remains well-made but avarage. Complexity isn't a mesurment for quality but neither is popularity.
(please don't kill me)
>>
>>72465190
>See Me Now is one of the worst bonus tracks EVER conceived
THIS. It's like if you were watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and it cut to an extract of Plan 9 From Outer Space at the end.
>>
Kanye albums are made by the hype built around them, not the songs themselves. That said, MBDTF is the one Kanye album I can listen to front to back and not get bored halfway through. It is a 10/10 though because it single-handedly created the sound of hip hop and pop for this entire decade.
>>
>>72464783
power and monster are the only 2 good songs on the album.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.