[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I consider collecting vinyl?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: vinyl_image.jpg (194KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
vinyl_image.jpg
194KB, 1600x1063px
Should I consider collecting vinyl?
>>
Would it make you happy
>>
File: allthetime.jpg (47KB, 736x551px) Image search: [Google]
allthetime.jpg
47KB, 736x551px
I have exactly 45 vinyl records. I think any more than that is a little weird. You can get a lot of interesting garbage used for cheap. Newer music on brand new vinyl is more expensive. I'd avoid 180gm vinyl with only 3 songs on each side. It's a pain in the ass to constantly get up and turn the record over.

People do seem to think I'm cool for having a few records and I enjoy the old-timey charm and warm sound. It also feels much more permanent and substantial than digital music.
>>
>>72451335
>I think any more than that is a little weird

Well then goddamn call me the weirdest motherfucker on the planet. I've been collecting for 16 years now. I've got so many discs I honestly have no idea how many I actually have. Probably approaching the 1K mark.

And yes, I have listened to them all at least once.

OP, do what makes you happy. But please don't be one of these guys who only buys new releases. Mastering engineers these days who know how to mix for a vinyl release are rare. Most new LPs are shit quality as a result. That's why I stick with vintage. Boy do I love me some Hi-Fi from '50s. It's amazing what they were able to accomplish sonicly without the aid of stereo.
>>
Once you start, you don't stop.
>>
>>72451335
>I'd avoid 180gm vinyl with only 3 songs on each side

>not getting 180gm vinyl with a single song on each side

wew lad

but seriously Factory Records didn't skimp on the disc weight on their 12" singles
>>
Do songs from 'Best of' releases have the same quality as the original releases?
>>
Why?

If you're looking for physical music, CDs are superior in every way. Vinyl is only for hipster points.
>>
>>72451188
it won't fill that hole man
>>
>>72454296
CD album art: 6x5 inch
Vinyl album art: 12x12 inch

you do the math
>>
>>72454353
Album art is huge for me desu
But the ability to pop your favorite CD into you car during a warm summer drive is underrated
>>
>>72455709
But you can get the exact same experience plugging in your phone with anything from spotify to mp3's from soulseek
>>
>>72451188
Locked grooves, yes.
>>
File: disnigga.jpg (103KB, 800x1036px) Image search: [Google]
disnigga.jpg
103KB, 800x1036px
>>72454296
kek
>>
>>72455769
The same goes for vynils though
>>
Well, the upfront cost is pretty big, like Nintendo Switch and Breath of the Wild big. So consider that. After you get over the initial $500 or so investment, though, you can start spending $20 each for albums that are free on Spotify.

But it does look pretty fucking rad. And people do compliment you.
>>
>>72455894
you can't play vinyls in your car idiot
>>
>>72456122
No shit Sherlock
I think we're misunderstanding each other here lol
>>
>>72456137
I think the point is that CD are better than vinyl in terms of practicality but if you are buying a vinyl practicality is the last thing you are taking in to consideration, but if you were going for the most practical way to listen to music than digital music on your phone is a more practical way of listening to music than CDs, I think that is the point he is trying to make.
>>
>>72456200
I feel like CDs are the perfect middle point between aesthetics of vinyl and practicality of mp3 but that necessarily makes them worse than both other formats in their areas
>>
>>72451188
I collect vinyl. I told myself that if Daft Punk ever released Alive 2007 on vinyl, I'd begin collecting vinyl. So I got my first record in 2014. Didn't get a record player until a couple months ago, though. Only have about 20 albums at the moment.

It's nice having my favorite albums in physical form. There's something relaxing about the whole process of using a record player. I don't really care much about sound quality, desu. I bought an amp, but my music plays through some old computer speakers I have.

It's just neat. I don't buy movies and if all the video games I want were released on Steam then I wouldn't buy physical copies of video games, but having a physical copy of an album is neat.
>>
>>72456273
This reminds me of conversations I would have with my dad where we are saying the exact same thing but phrasing it as an argument somehow.
>>
>>72451188
I collect vinyls cassettes and CDs
>inb4 "he calls them vinyls"
it's to differentiate

Vinyls
>Pros
Big, they're fun to throw on and listen to as an experience, fun to collect, sound good (though the new wave of vinyls are way worse than old vinyls), you get to spend money on audio equipment
>Cons
Impractical, expensive, large, you need a set up

CDs
>Pros
they take up less space than vinyl, easy to rip into high quality mp3s, cheaper than vinyl, throw them in your car, easier upkeep
>Cons
small, lamer to collect, in most cases you'll just play music from an mp3 or streaming service instead
Cassettes
>Pros
Most small indie and DIY bands can only afford to make them so it's a fun way to collect and support small bands (this is my main point), i like collecting them more than CDs
>Cons
Who the fuck has a cassette player? A hi-fi cassette player is a huge luxury. Plus, they degrade more consistently than records and are super easy to break. AND they sound the shittiest, although giving interesting depth to the sound

So yeah, if you have money I'd collect. Collecting is fun and it makes supporting feel more worth while.
>>
>>72453532
From what I have heard, no.

Usually they are from inferior sources or something along those lines.
>>
>>72456328
CDs
>Pros
You're supporting the artist. If your car is old and doesn't have bluetooth or aux inputs, you can listen to them in your car
>More Pros
Having a CD collection is almost as impressive as having a non-bluray DVD collection. It doesn't make you look as poor as collecting old magazines would. No one will insult your collection out of jealousy. If a girl pretends she's impressed by it, you know that she really likes you.
>>
>>72456452
you're also opening yourself up to the possibility of getting your CDs stolen from your car though, my whole damn squad got our CDs jacked on different occasions
it's part of the experience, but it sucks

Also
Vinyl Cons: Scratches, Warps, Dust, etc
>>
>>72451188
sounds like you're already considering it
>>
>>72456452
Just started a CD collection myself. So far I have disintegration, illmatic, kid a, paranoid, nevermind, ok computer, ride the lightning, vulgar display of power, operation heavenly, rust in peace, ten, discovery, and loveless. All original, and that cost me $55 in all. If you were buying these on vinyl you'd be spending $20 on each, and they'd be newer pressings, not og. So $260 vs $55. I think the best route is getting albums you like on CD and getting your absolute favorite albums on vinyl, you'll save a ton of cash over time.
>>
>>72455769

Yeah but CD is lossless. Shitty Spotify quality doesn't even compare.
>>
>>72456747
rip 'em in lossless, put them on phone, use AUX cable

not that difficult
>>
>>72456452
>almost as impressive as having a non-bluray DVD collection.

What's wrong with bluray?
>>
>>72456486
>my whole damn squad got our CDs jacked on different occasions
found the black man!
>>
>>72456828
>rip 'em in lossless, put them on phone, use AUX cable

Ha, good luck with that if you have an iPhone.

Even with lots of storage, having tons of music in FLAC seems like a waste of space.

Honestly though, I dont mind lossy Spotify quality for albums/songs I dont care about (which is almost everything). But I do have all my favorite albums on CD for dat lossless listening.
>>
>>72456747
Spotify Premium is 320kbps. You couldn't tell the difference between that and FLAC, honestly.
>>
>>72457002
Well, at least with a lossless source, you can convert them to any high quality lossy format (ideally ~320) and it won't even matter.

Who cares about listening to FLAC in the car or on the go anyways. Leave all the hi-fi at home.
>>
>>72451188
If you feel like it, and you have the shelf space for it, knock yourself out.
>>
It's a meme format, but if you have the money and space for a set up, it's fun as fuck. Gives you way more a sense of ownership over your music than you would otherwise.
>>
>>72451188

i lose respect for people who collect vinyls. there's not a ton of rationale behind this thinking, but i still feel that im right.
>>
File: bowie disqualified.jpg (24KB, 493x211px) Image search: [Google]
bowie disqualified.jpg
24KB, 493x211px
>>72458138
>vinyls
kys
>>
>>72458138
>there's not a ton of rationale behind this thinking, but i still feel that im right.
this should be automatically added on to the end of every post on this site
>>
>>72456584
>13 extremely popular albums for $55
breh, i guarantee you could've gotten all that for like $10 at some shitty neighborhood CD/DVD exchange. i've gotten some really good stuff for 25 cents to $1, and the average cost of one of my CDs is probably like $1.50. also i have never spent more than $10 on a record (don't see the point in buying sealed stuff), and more often than not $4 or less.

of course there are drawbacks to mostly surfing bargain bins (e.g. if you're interested in pristine sleeves), but i think it's a fun way to collect, and it shows you that music price and quality are not very closely related.
>>
>>72458109
This desu
Dont buy vinyl with the intention of it being THE way to listen to music. Vinyl as decorations is underrated for sure too.
>>
>>72454314

this is the realest comment on 4chan in awhile. it's a shame that it's being overlooked.
>>
>>72458243
who cares about pristine jewel cases all that matters is a playable disc
>>
If they aren't too expensive, records in 2017 are a fun novelty that is worth it if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Maybe it could get you laid if you're with a hipster chick.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.