[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitar tablature hate thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: tab.png (2KB, 343x147px) Image search: [Google]
tab.png
2KB, 343x147px
Guitar tablature hate thread
>>
I like guitar tablatures, their existence makes me feel superior for beeing able to read notes.
>>
But anon, all my favorite metal guitarists said they can only read tabs! I don't have to read music in order to become famous.
>>
is there anything actually wrong with it?
>>
I can read music just fine (sax player for 12 years) but I like tabs if i already know the rhythms
>>
>>72440211
Nope. Guitar tab with rhythmic indicators is the most logical way to write out and read guitar music.
>>
>>72439766

Op is
--------
--------
--------
--------
---0----
1----3-
>>
>>72440249
upvoting this
>>
What bothers me is the lack of tuning and rhythm indication in the OP picture. Add those and tabulature is perfect for guitar notation.
I do prefer regular notation for fingerstyle playing though.
>>
>>72440204
but u dont
u do need to get off of 4chan though
>>
>>72440226
This. Unless you're sight reading. But if you plan on learning a song and then playing from memory, tab makes sense over sheet music.
>>
Tabs are okay for beginners but that's about it.

Watch this
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7qgBVnMfY
>>
>tfw they teach you how to read music in middle school
>>
>>72441837
I've seen it, but I disagree with him somewhat. That's why I posted this >>72441797
>>
>>72441849
Oh didn't read your comment. That makes sense, agreed.
>>
>>72440249
slight keks
>>
>>72441857
What's your favorite Neally video? Mine is the Cantus Firmus one.
>>
Guitar tabs are written music no matter how much you complain.
>>
>>72440162
You are superior. By definition. I cant read music literally at all
>>
>>72441837
props on the Alan Neely vid

BUT the only situations I've needed to read sheet music is in jazz situations with lead sheets. Otherwise I would say, for more rock oriented situations, the best thing to do is learn the music by ear first, and then look up the tabs to double check if I figured everything correctly.

Tabs aren't bad, they just shouldn't be a crutch. You should be able to learn new pieces of music in multiple different ways.
>>
>>72440211
nothing. dumbass guitarists just never learn to read the same music everyone else reads and it's a fucking pain in the ass
>>
>>72440211
I have issues with timing personally- tabs should really use a different typeface/mark to differentiate lengths of notes
>>
File: Capture.png (33KB, 1142x523px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33KB, 1142x523px
i can read notes but i could never sight read music for guitar.

tabs are nice for writing stuff too
>>
>>72443626
bass is in drop d here btw
>>
>>72440249
took me a minute
>>
ear training masterrace
>>
>>72440249
Sounds good to me
>>
>>72439766
Guitarists are already spoiled by not having to learn different fingerings for different scales like other instruments and yet they still come up with a system so that they can avoid having to learn to read notation as well.
>>
>>72440249
Nice joke
>>
>>72444757
>not having to learn different fingerings for different scales
There are bunch of different ways to play the same scale, though.
>>
>>72440249
yissss
>>
>>72439766
Fuck you. I'll admit I'm too stupid to read music. Tablature is fucking great.
>>
>>72444757
any guitarist worth their salt can play a given scale anywhere on the neck. this is just retarded
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.