[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why everyone thinks this is their best work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Wish-You-Were-Here.jpg (72KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wish-You-Were-Here.jpg
72KB, 600x400px
SOYCD and the title track are obviously amazing but Welcome to the machine and Have a cigar are below average floyd songs
>>
Everyone who says dark side isn't the best album is just trying to fit in
>>
And how exactly is Welcome to the Machine subpar? I'd rank it higher than the title track, but maybe that's just due to overexposure.
>>
>>72425936
Shit taste. This is their best record.
>>
>>72426031
I guess it's reached meme status
>>
i love this album probably not as good as dsotm but i think its their most complete piece but dsotm and the wall often just seem more exciting to me
>>
>>72427118
Good explanation bro
>>
Welcome to the Machine has always been one of my least favorite Pink Floyd song
I'm not even sure way I just never liked it.
The rest of the album is perfect though
>>
File: sigh.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>72425936
idk man, aside from it being more of an enjoyable listen to me than dark side i also think its more focused as an album. it effortlessly pulls off the intended art rock meets prog aesthetic of dark side imo :/
>>
>>72427313
The wall is literally filler
>>
>>72427315
don't call me bro you fucking kid
>>
>>72427315
>"I don't like it" is a good explaination
>>
>>72425936
I'm pretty sure Wish You Were Here is members of Pink Floyd's favorite Floyd album
So that says something
I know Rick Wright said in an interview that it's the only one he listened to for his own personal enjoyment
>>
>>72425936
It's their most well-composed album, the album that draws the separate influences and idiosyncrasies of each individual member into one cohesive whole in the best possible way, and is the most emotionally authentic and less contrived of the bunch. It is undoubtedly their masterpiece.
>>
Wish you were here and shine on you crazy diamond carry it.DSOTM is obviously their best work and Animals their next best. Wish you were here 3rd and Meddle 4th.
>>
Okay well first of all, SOYCD+WYWH make up 31 minutes of a 44-minute album. So if you're like "okay those two songs are great but the rest sucks" then you're really only criticizing less than a third of the album.

Anyway, so DSOTM, WYWH, and TW are all about Syd Barrett, right? DSOTM is kind of a loose concept album, kind of addressing mental health through the guise of all these big concepts like life and greed and loneliness, etc. The Wall, meanwhile, is almost a rock opera with Syd as the protagonist.

I like WYWH because it's more like the members doing what they like and what they're best at: long instrumental solo passages--and the themes are more limited. They're not really trying to put themselves inside Syd Barrett's head or use him as a character. They're just writing about their feelings about the whole thing and kind of keeping it there.

So it's simultaneously thematically more concise and musically more expansive than most Pink Floyd releases, which I think works for them. The album seems natural, not forced or bogged down.
>>
>>72427913
>Anyway, so DSOTM, WYWH, and TW are all about Syd Barrett, right? DSOTM is kind of a loose concept album, kind of addressing mental health through the guise of all these big concepts like life and greed and loneliness, etc. The Wall, meanwhile, is almost a rock opera with Syd as the protagonist.
None of this is accurate
>>
>>72427342
hmm no.
>>
>>72427942
yeah hes wrong on basically all of that.
>>
>>72427978
OK just half of it.
>>
>>72427942
>>72428016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon#Background

Waters' idea was for an album that dealt with things that "make people mad", focusing on the pressures faced by the band during their arduous lifestyle, and dealing with the apparent mental problems suffered by former band member Syd Barrett.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall#Concept_and_storyline

>The Wall is a rock opera[26] that explores abandonment and isolation, symbolised by a metaphorical wall. The songs create an approximate storyline of events in the life of the protagonist, Pink, a character based on Syd Barrett[27] as well as Roger Waters,[28] whose father was killed during the Second World War.
>>
>>72427913
wywh is all about syd barrett ffs SOYCD an the title track are about him and have a cigar is about their hatred of the music industry and welcome to the machine is just kind of a 'rage against the system' type thing only done well. So basically by your logic 2/3 or more of the album are about Syd.
The Wall is a concept album about a man who basically loses his mind who is a rock star. The album chronicles his whole life.
DSOTM is an album about the pressures of modern life simple as that.
>>
>>72428086
Not accurate. This is the problem with wikipedia.
>and dealing with the apparent mental problems suffered by former band member Syd Barrett.[2][3]
Literally ONE song is about this. The rest of the album is not. It would be inaccurate to call Darkside a concept album about Syd, because it's not. It's about many sociological things: passage of time, human greed, war and empathy.
>Pink, a character based on Syd Barrett[27] as well as Roger Waters,[28] whose father was killed during the Second World War.
Look closer at the character. It's almost completely autobiographical--including elements of Rogers actual childhood, not to mention the genesis of this was how Roger himself reacted on-stage, spitting on his fans, effectively becoming the Pink persona.

I would recommend doing more research before blindly copypasting inaccuracy from wikipedia
>>
>>72428157
yeah I'm not mad that the album is about Syd

just, out of the three Syd albums there's:

1) A concept album about things in life that suck stung together by the general concept of insanity.
2) An album where the band jams and addresses their crazy friend pretty directly.
3) A rock opera where they make Syd a character.

>>72428192
Wrong. I mean, you're wrong. If you're not, go correct wikipedia right now. I'm not blindly copying from wikipedia. I'm saying commonly-known things about the albums that you could have discovered by the barest research at all.

Happens every time someone gets proved wrong on the internet: "yah but wikipedia is wrong and a bad source I have special knowledge that makes me right here's myself as my source to back me up."
>>
>>72428192
>Look closer at the character. It's almost completely autobiographical--including elements of Rogers actual childhood, not to mention the genesis of this was how Roger himself reacted on-stage, spitting on his fans, effectively becoming the Pink persona.
Roger has stated that Pink is influenced by Syd. He's said the scene where Pink is sitting in a recliner, smoking a cigarette in a seemingly catatonic state, not bothering to ash it is based on a real time when he went to see Syd.
>>
>>72425936
It has the coolest cover.
>>
>>72428255
>Wrong. I mean, you're wrong
[citation needed]
>go correct wikipedia right now.
Nah, I don't care enough.
>I'm not blindly copying from wikipedia.
You just did here >>72428086
>>72428288
>Roger has stated that Pink is influenced by Syd
You mean *elements* of him.
Remeber that "influenced by" =/= is about him
>He's said the scene where Pink is sitting in a recliner, smoking a cigarette in a seemingly catatonic state, not bothering to ash it is based on a real time when he went to see Syd.
That's it. That's literally one scene. The rest of the character is based on himself, his childhood, and his reactions on the Animals tour.
>>
>>72426031
I genuinely prefer Syd's era because I find the music more interesting.
>>
>>72428551
You'll come around when you graduate high school
>>
>>72428192
>Look closer at the character. It's almost completely autobiographical--including elements of Rogers actual childhood
Pink is an amalgam of Syd and Waters. The background of the character is mostly drawn from Waters' own personal experiences, but the entire process of his breakdown, his eccentrics, distancing, and even his appearance were based off of the band's experiences with Syd.
>>
ummagumma anybody?
>>
>>72428898
>Pink is an amalgam of Syd and Waters
Then it's not "about Syd" is it?
>but the entire process of his breakdown, his eccentrics, distancing, and even his appearance were based off of the band's experiences with Syd.
1) this is only one plotpoint, and is insignificant when knowing what "The Wall" actually is, because that is a psychological phenomenon from Roger's mind, not Syd's.
2) If it was only about Syd, then the album would have ended at that point, there would be no neo-nazi transformation, no trial, and no resolution. So as you can see, it cannot solely be about Syd.
>>
>>72429011
I didn't say that it was "only about Syd."
>>
>>72429131
See >>72427913
>Anyway, so DSOTM, WYWH, and TW are all about Syd Barrett, right?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.