/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: CircleFilledIn.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
CircleFilledIn.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
Does anyone here actually talk about music theory (real music)?
>>
>>72415321
>real music

kek
>>
how can our ears be real if music isn't real
>>
I teach theory and piano lessons
>>
I just throw minor chords at a wall and see what sticks
>>
>>72415321
>only people that talk about musi theory are teachers, students and band members (orchestra n shit)
>>
>>72415321
If I am attempting to play in A# for example, write down all the notes in A# and then begin to play various notes from the key in chords in different octaves - am i still playing these chords in the key of A#?

for example: C2 D#5 G5

is this chord in the key of A#?
>>
>>72415552
wtf are you saying. Just play that shit who gives a fuck. Loser.
>>
>>72415573
>thread about music theory
>just play that shit who gives a fuck

im just going to assume that you dont know the answer.
>>
>>72415656
lol I don't
>>
>>72415672
if im constructing phrases of my music then an understanding of the chords within a key of choice is very important, especially when working with sub/bass heavy genres.
>>
>>72415552
>A#
Call it the key of Bb instead and then tell us if you think this question still makes sense.
>>
>>72415698
lmao that sure is pussy talk
>>
>>72415734
Or you could address the body of the question?

C major.

Is the chord C2 D5 G5 in a chord in the key of C major?

Why would the name matter when we both know what I am asking.
>>
>>72415799
Or are you referring to the fact that Bb would have different notes to A#?
>>
>>72415799
It matters because the key of A# major, depending on how you wanna look at it, either doesn't exist or is a fucking nightmare of double-sharps.

The chord you're describing is a Csus2, which has very 'cadential' characteristics, so you'll probably find more functionality for it in Fmajor or G major.
>>
>>72415859
The actual notes I wrote dont matter, the point im asking is simply if i play chords, based over different octaves using semitones that are within the selected key - when combined, is the chord produced deviating from the key or not? or is this *not* a surefire way of staying "in key".

the example itself doesnt matter just the principle.
>>
>>72415916
Octave doesn't matter. The seven letter-names are that key.
>>
>>72415974
Yes, I know the octaves dont matter.

The notes in a scale, when played together as a chord, will always produce a chord in that key? Yes or no? Or is it possible that you could be playing a chord that is "out of key"?
>>
>>72415321
Jazz is real music
>>
>>72416004
Or do chords not have related Key signatures?
>>
>>72416004

If you played all white keys on the piano it would always produce a chord made of notes from C major. Nothing would be 'out of key'.

It's a lot more helpful to take this kind of stuff as a set of names for historically-liked and utilized tendencies, than a list of rules and standards.
>>
>>72416105
Except that I make modern music that is far, far simpler than the music of the past and focuses on mixing frequencies and fixing problems.

"Correct" understanding of a "list of rules and standards" makes it far easier to not have disharmony and unwanted frequencies.

In essence, all you had to reply with, "Yes".
>>
>>72416179
I hope you know, you're a piece of shit.
>>
>>72416232
Why do you think that?

You have taught me nothing and know nothing about me other than I make bass orientated music.

I would say that someone who makes that assumption based upon that is an anal bead, so we're even.
>>
>>72416268
Not him, but you did just spend the whole conversation being somewhat rude to someone who was trying to help you and also not explaining your question very clearly
>>
>>72416268
Because you asked a question you already knew the answer to. What are you expecting to learn if you just want to be told how right and how observant you are? Little fucking faggot.
>>
>>72415552
It's just a C dorian scale if you start on C
As far as chords, it would be a Cmin7 in the key of C dorian
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.