[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Aerosmith?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

What does /mu/ think of Aerosmith?
>>
Sweet Emotion feels like one of the longest songs ever made, even though it's only 4 minutes. It just goes on and on and on.
>>
The bad kind of dadrock
>>
>>72403534
i really like the riff in Dream On
>>
dream on is a great song, but other than that i don't care about them
>>
I liked them when I was little. I also liked Queen back then.
>>
>>72403534
I like crazy
>>
Buttiest of buttrock. May as well be assrock.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Get Your Wings [Columbia, 1974]

These prognatheous New Englanders prove the old adage that if a band is going to be dumb, it may as well be American dumb and here they provide a real treat for the hearing impaired on side one. Have a pretty good sense of humor too, assuming "Lord of the Thighs" is intended as a joke. With dumb bands, it's always hard to tell. B-

Toys in the Attic [Columbia, 1975]

These boys are learning a trade in record time--even the sludgy numbers get crazy. Too bad the two real whompers are attached to rockstar lyrics, albeit clever ones, because Steve Tyler has a gift for the dirty line as well as the dirty look--anybody who can hook a song called "Adam's Apple" around the phrase "love at first bite" deserves to rehabilitate a blue blues like "Big Ten Inch Record." B+

Rocks [Columbia, 1976]

The teen crossover of the summer has been compared in some circles to a Buick Roadmaster--sleek, powerful, yet refined. Wish I had a lyric sheet so I could figure out what the bit about J. Paul Getty's ear means. Caution to potential buyers--Led Zeppelin peaked with their fourth, so don't expect more out of this lesser group, and enjoy it while you can. A-
>>
>>72404294
wtf i love aerosmith now
>>
Draw The Line [Columbia, 1977]

The problem with the high-test riff jobs that fueled Rocks is that when it came time to follow up, the band was out of gas. Joe Perry goes nowhere near the mould-breaking "Kings and Queens", synthesized medieval pomp-rock (cf. Styx, Rush) while "Bright Light Fright", which kicks off side two, proves conclusively that they won't bite "The Hand That Feeds". We knew it all along, guys. C+

Night in the Ruts [Columbia, 1979]

This one opens promisingly with a song about the band's career titled "No Surprize". Then they inch closer to the dull tempos, flash guitar, and stupid cover versions of heavy metal orthodoxy. No surprise. C+

Done With Mirrors [Geffen, 1985]

Their knack for the small song, as well as small use for guitar hero costume drama, has always made them a hard rock band worthy of the name, not to mention being American. But with years of substance abuse and bad albums behind them, it was a long road back. And against all odds, the old farts light one up. If you can stand the crunch, the first side has more get up and go than any one of a dozen random neogarage EPs. B+
>>
>>72403534
The American Zeppelin. Nu-male repellent. The first four albums are essential hard rock

The c. 1990 renaissance ain't bad either
>>
>>72403534
70's Aerosmith was a p decent "hard rawk" band, but 80's and onwards Aerosmith is actually godawful.
>>
>>72404342
Other than a few moments on Pump, post-1985 Aerosmith is shit. It's MTV pop rock made by professional Jew song doctors for girls.
>>
>>72404342
>>72404374
This.

If I had a dollar for everytime I had to suffer through Don't Wanna Miss A Thing at work, I'd be a millionaire.
>>
>>72404342
This is objectively true.
>>
There was a SNL skit in the early 90s ridiculing Aerosmith's penchant for cookie-cutter ballads which all had some combination of the words "amazing" and "crazy" in them.

Done With Mirrors was mediocre, but at least it was the last time the band felt like themselves.
>>
>>72404074
It's not buttrock though
>>
>>72404374
Oh no doubt, but as far as radio rock goes, you can do a lot worse

>>72404384
That song just makes me think of his daughter and the unforgivable things I'd do to her
>>
>>72404414
Aerosmith are like the original buttrock band.

At least Led Zeppelin had a few folksy songs and some proto-metal/prog stuff, Aerosmith are just a shittier Van Halen with worse ballads.
>>
>>72403534
Last Child is a good song. That's about all I care for from them nowadays.
>>
>>72404426
>He doesn't know the difference between buttrock and cockrock
turbopleb
>>
>>72404449
I could listen to Last Child 20x in a row and never get tired of that riff. Spaced and SOS (Too Bad) from the second album are sick too. Don't much like Back In The Saddle though.

Say what you like about Night In The Ruts, but I love the Yardbirds cover and Bone To Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy).
>>
>>72404334
Classics Live II [Columbia, 1987]

Six of eight tracks on Corporate Revenge II were cut New Year's Eve 1984, a money gig for sure, and every one was at least eight years old at the time; a seventh previewed a song soon to appear on their Geffen debut--but recorded, heh heh, while they were still under CBS jurisdiction. And what we get is some of the toughest and least indulgent live metal ever vinylized, not quite Greatest Hits (four dupes) but way beyond Live Bootleg or Corporate Revenge I. Professionalism--who can predict it? B+

Permanent Vacation [Geffen, 1987]

Don't let the twelve tracks, blues moves, or ace Beatles cover mislead you. Horns here and here and here plus mellotron there and there plus song doctors all over the place add up to running out of gas again already. C+

Gems [Columbia, 1988]

Anybody who doubts they made a great album once (and only once) should check the title and then explain why buried gems from Rocks lead both sides of their second best-of. Because Rocks's openers got used up the first time is why. B

Pump [Geffen, 1989]

If fried brains is your idea of a rock dream, the first side will do the job at least as good as whatever raging slab is also your idea of a rock dream. For five songs, everything loud and acrid about them just keeps on coming--not even tune doctors can stave off the juggernaut. Of course, this band's idea of a rock dream is also the traditional "Young Lust" and "Love in an Elevator"--OK as far as it goes, but I could do with more "Janie's Got a Gun," in which an abused teenager offs her dad. B+
>>
>>72404515
Get a Grip [Geffen, 1993]

There are no rules. Obscene megabucks, boring rehab, song doctors, turning 40, minuscule interest in doing something new--nothing stands between the world's greatest hard rock band and their best album since Rocks. The drugs long gone, they show a strong professional commitment to rebellion and an undiminished relish for the fleshpots. If the song doctors prescribed "I'd rather be O.D.in' on the/Crack of her ass," not to mention "It's like gettin' head from a guillotine," they were worth every point. And though at first you may miss the killer cut, the "My Fist Your Face" or "Janie's Got a Gun," in fact the midtempo, classic-rock, love-as-pain "Cryin'" should prove irresistible to anyone who doesn't equate good art with doing something new. A-

Big Ones [Geffen, 1994]

"Janie's Got a Gun" yes, "My Fist Your Face" no, two expert Michael Beinhorn add-ons yes, Get a Grip no ("Janie's Got a Gun," "Blind Man") **

Nine Lives [Columbia, 1997] :(

Just Push Play [Columbia, 2001]

*choice cuts* "Jaded"
>>
>>72404515
>Six of eight tracks on Corporate Revenge II were cut New Year's Eve 1984, a money gig for sure, and every one was at least eight years old at the time; a seventh previewed a song soon to appear on their Geffen debut--but recorded, heh heh, while they were still under CBS jurisdiction.

Let The Music Do The Talking was originally from Joe Perry's solo album in 1980. He didn't know that?
>>
>>72403534
Fucking great to blast from the speakers when you're having a few beers with your friends and playing NHL17.
>>
>>72404426
Come on, they don't sound anything like Van Halen. Aerosmith are basically pub rock and firmly rooted in 70s AOR conventions, they're not the aircraft carrier rock (as Christgau put it) that Van Halen did. Van Halen were designed from the get-go as stadium rock just like Led Zeppelin.

Aerosmith's main innovations were Americanizing the Stones/Zeppelin (Black Sabbath a little bit, although "Spaced" is their only Sabbath-like song) and also inventing the power ballad. Plus Steven Tyler's vocals were something not seen in rock before.
>>
>>72404683
Joe Perry's solo career was so irrelevant I doubt Christgau even knew about it. It's not as if you could look this stuff up on Google in the 80s.
>>
>>72404515
Man, you could tell how in the late 80s, a butthurt Columbia were milking the back catalog for all it was worth to make some money off the band's career revival.
>>
>>72405164
>1989
>Columbia suits are watching the Janey's Got A Gun video on MTV

"Oy vey, Aaron. You said these guys were washed up cokeheads and cutting them from the label was a good idea."

"Fine, I was wrong. That goy Dave Geffen sure grifted us good."

"But Geffen isn't a goyim, he's one of..."

"I meant it figuratively. I'm hungry, let's go out for a knish."
>>
Absolute garbage. The lowest form of dadrock.
>>
>>72404426
Buttrock refers to post-grunge and nu metal type music from the late 90s and early 00s. Aerosmith isn't buttrock.

>>72404449
Basically my opinion.
>>
>>72403534
A lot of their earlier stuff is pretty good Hard Rock, but they've also put out an awful lot of shite
Kind of like the Stones with a weaker classic period and worse weak period
>>
>>72405933
>Buttrock refers to post-grunge and nu metal type music from the late 90s and early 00s
Used to be. Today the term "buttrock" just is used to mean "Any music I don't like".
>>
Aside from buttrock, there's buttcountry (Florida-Georgia Line, Toby Keith, Hank Williams Jr., Lonestar), buttrap (50 Cent, Kanye, Drake), buttjazz (Kenny G, Herbie Hancock), and buttblues (Stevie Ray Vaughn).
>>
File: xgau-intro.jpg (98KB, 382x400px) Image search: [Google]
xgau-intro.jpg
98KB, 382x400px
>>72404294
>>72404334
>>72404515
>>72404611

These bad boys from Boston are looking for trouble, and they know where to score some. Don't be fooled; this ain't your sister's cerebral soliloquy shit. These dirty dudes know only three things: babes, butts, and the sound of a cranking hog. And if you're not cranking your hog by the third track, then you truly don't know what it means to, as Steven Tyler puts it, "practice on a peach most every night." A-

MEANWHILE, ON A PROG ALBUM:

Rick Wakeman thinks these glastnost pleasantries pass for real rock and roll. Well Rick, they don't. D-
>>
>>72406093
If you think Drake is buttrap, then you owe Master P, the Ying Yang Twins, and Mike Jones a fucking apology.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.