[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where would rock music be without Jimi Hendrix?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: JimiPurple.jpg (100KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
JimiPurple.jpg
100KB, 500x503px
Where would rock music be without Jimi Hendrix?
>>
>>72397847
without him, rock would have been set back 10-15 years. his production techniques and contributions to metal, noise rock, and his redefinition of the role of a frontman cannot be understated.
>>
>>72397916

/thread
>>
>>72397916
>redefinition of the role of a frontman
like what? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious
>>
>>72398010
the frontman as not only the singer, but the bridge between the audience and the performers. his crowd interaction was nuts and even on the albums, he reaches out to the audience. also being the main creative force. i'm terrible at explaining this shit, but i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
>>
>>72397847
In exactly the same place, because rock music ran a mile from where Hendrix was heading while he was still alive. Rock has been a conservative form for far longer than it was radical, and that development began early. Clapton, not Hendrix, is the dominant paradigm for rock guitarists now - meaningless salaams to dead masters, adherence to idiom tradition to the point of ossification, abstraction from social context, tastefulness, costiveness of invention, self-regard above generosity, professionalism and routine above improvisation and discovery. No rock guitarist now operating has ever given himself over to music the way Hendrix did every time he played. Most of you who worship Hendrix can't even fuck with most of what he played - you value him for a few riffs and iconic value.
>>
>>72398406
>being this wrong
Hendrix wasn't just a wild man who stood on stage and fucked around with improvisation. he took time to carve out his sound. he emphasized tasteful soloing when appropriate as opposed to noodling like a moron. even his noise experimentations were to serve the performance. However, his emphasis on having the lead guitar be expressive, even if not technically graceful inspired the alternative/indie artists of the 80s in numerous ways.
>Most of you who worship Hendrix can't even fuck with most of what he played - you value him for a few riffs and iconic value.
please. get off your high horse.
>>
>>72398642
Here's the problem, you're beginning from the assumption that improvisation is a negative. That's nowhere near what I'm saying. Improvisation is preferable to "tasteful", which he certainly wasn't, ever. What he was, was inspired. Most of what you're saying is Patrick Bateman-tier phrase-juggling. Nobody who sincerely cares about what they're saying writes the way you just did. Do you even know what you mean by "his noise experimentations were to serve the performance"? Is the performance some abstract thing that exists apart from itself? "Even if not technically graceful"? Dude, you're defending Hendrix from an accusation of not being Clapton that you IMAGINED. I despise Clapton and regard most rock music as KKK garbage. The fact that you thought any comparison had to be to Hendrix's detriment even though my contempt for Clapton is so clear in the message you're replying to confirms what I was saying - rock music learned NOTHING from Hendrix, which is one reason why it's mostly worthless.

You've confirmed yourself for not actually having any idea how to deal with Hendrix's playing as opposed to his legend.
>>
>>72398864
>I despise Clapton and regard most rock music as KKK garbage
go b8 somewhere else faggot
>>
Lou Reed was a more influential guitarist than Jimi Hendrix.
>>
>>72399171
well too bad we're not talking about Lou Reed
fucking idiot
>>
>>72397847
Disraeli Gears
>>
>>72399165
I'm not baiting. If you value Clapton, you cannot get the point of Hendrix, let alone respect him.

>>72399171
This is a great point. "Influential" is a very double-edged term of praise. Hendrix was not really influential, because he was too gifted. The most influential people are people who have conceptual genius and moderate skill - they do things which fifty other people can rip off as soon as they heard it done but would never have taken the initiative to do themselves. Who sounds like Hendrix, really? Nobody.
>>
>>72397847
we would have one less whammy bar meme nigger
>>
>>72399507
He's only a meme when the internet and social media blew out of popularity, he's always been discussed and talked about in the spotlight for many years before.
>>
>>72399784
Yeah, by people who were mostly relieved he was dad. Not consciously, but if he had lived, he would have shown up the inadequacy of what rock was busy becoming even more painfully than he did.

Clapton jammed with him on stage once and was so humiliated he walked off.

You know what he did then? He got an Afro. Clapton got a white-guy Afro.

About eight years later, he did his famous on-stage rant about wanting every "wog" out of England.

Rock music comes from Clapton, not Hendrix. Stiff, paranoid, implicitly racist garbage.
>>
>>72399840
lol @ the typo, *dead, relieved he was *dead*, they weren't relieved he was dad, they were shit-scared. /Harold Bloom
>>
Who cares.
>>
>>72398406
>>72398864
These are some top notch posts.
>>
>>72398406
>Most of you who worship Hendrix can't even fuck with most of what he played

>implying i dont have 6+gb of hendrix

Most of what he played were the iconic songs. i must have at least 125 different versions of hey joe on my hard drive.

most people fuck with most of what he played, few actually dive in and find the real good stuff.
>>
>>72397847
Wouldn't be much different. He wasn't very influential
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.