[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to give this a spin. What should I expect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Lou Reed--Berlin (1973).jpg (169KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Lou Reed--Berlin (1973).jpg
169KB, 1000x1000px
I'm about to give this a spin. What should I expect?
>>
>>72362248
a really depressing listen
>>
What happened when Lou was listening to Genesis while high and thought "Hey, I can do that."
>>
>>72362248
a 10/10 album
>>
>>72362248
it's great
>>
File: 127513216christgau.jpg (80KB, 970x667px) Image search: [Google]
127513216christgau.jpg
80KB, 970x667px
Berlin [RCA Victor, 1973]

I read where this song cycle about two drug addicts who fall into sadie-mazie in thrillingly decadent Berlin is a . . . what was that? artistic accomplishment, even if you don't like it much. Well, the category is real enough--it describes a lot of Ornette Coleman and even some Randy Newman, not to mention a whole lot of books--but in this case it happens to be horseshit. The story is lousy--if something similar was coughed up by some avant-garde asshole like, oh, Alfred Chester (arcane reference for all you rock folk who think you're cool cos you read half of Nova Express) everyone would be too bored to puke at it. The music is only competent--even Bob Ezrin can't manufacture a distance between the washed-up characters and their washed-out creator when the creator is actually singing. Also, what is this water-boy business? Is that a Buddhist cop? Gunga Din? Will Lou lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it? C
>>
>>72362343
Reed on Christgau: “What does Robert Christgau do in bed? You know, is he a toe-fucker?” And later: “Could you imagine working for a year and you get a B+ from some asshole in the Village Voice?” In his review, Christgau thanked Reed for pronouncing his name right and gave the album a C+.
>>
>>72362343
Of all the talented people 2016 took from us, and somehow this plebian hack is still breathing.
>>
>>72362405
His complete lack of talent saved him
>>
>>72362343
How does Christgau remain this based even when I disagree with him so much?
>>
>>72362440
IIRC the Rolling Stone Magazine review from 1973 also panned Berlin. But that's just Lou being Lou, which is to say making albums that try your sanity.
>>
>>72362266
Or more accurately, what happens when Lou tries to replicate on vinyl the experimental movie he never got to make in college.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.