[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I be using a VPN when using Soulseek /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
Should I be using a VPN when using Soulseek /mu/?
>>
short answer: No
Long answer: Yes
>>
You should probably have one, but I don't really recommend it
>>
Not really unless you're downloading huge albums first week of release. I don't use it much but I've never gotten a notice.
>>
pussy faggot detected. only real men don't use VPNs, and women like that
>>
>>72359564
?
>>
I still wonder why VPNs are something that's perfectly legal and commonplace when all most people use them for are pirating and making bots to flood websites with traffic. There's even an option in the settings on iPhones to add a VPN.
>>
>>72359608
short term
long term
>>
>>72359608
no is a shorter word than yes, dummy.
>>
>>72359622
Legislators don't understand tech enough to get them banned maybe? You'd think media corporations would be lobbying for that though.
>>
>>72359564
genius
>>
>>72359622
Because we still have some rights in America
>>
>>72359622
VPNs are the new honeytraps.
>>
I use it for 90% of my music downloading (which is in turn 90% of my music acquisition) and have never gotten in any trouble. Torrents, on the other hand...
>>
Off topic, I've been trying to share my files but no one downloads them because I have a 1 megabit upload speed, what can I do?
>>
>>72359838
grow a beard
>>
>>72359752
No, not really. Plenty of legitimate uses for a VPN, unis provide them for access into their internal network when you aren't there, same with corporations (who often force VPN use on phones to track usage and such, along with access to internal shit) and other entities: personally, I use a paid one to always appear from the same region when I'm traveling for work, not for Netflix or anything like that but for other services that give you shit based on region. I'd actually wager that a lot of people use VPNs without knowing it, but yeah, people who knowingly buy VPNs most likely do it for piracy and/or privacy purposes.
>>
What makes Soulseek so safe where it doesn't need a VPN but torrenting does require one?
>>
>>72359838
nothing
>>
>downloaded an obscure tape noise album off slsk
>less than an hour later hear sirens a couple miles away
>freak out and yank my computer out of the wall while hyperventilating
>tear out the hard drive and smash it with a magnetic hammer
>put the disk fragments in the microwave while I pour water all over the rest of the case
>hide under my bed until the smoke coming from the kitchen stops and can't hear the SWAT coming anymore
How close did I get to being thrown in the pokey bros?
>>
>>72359929
MPAA has gotten court orders forcing ISPs to throttle or block the major torrent sites.
>>
isnt soulseek direct peer 2 peer downloading? how would you even get caught doing this lol.
>>
>>72360182
You have a list of albums open to anyone using the software that any IP holder could access and download from to verify the IP infringement. It's very public, but if you just avoid pirating the biggest name stuff, chances are very low of anyone caring.
>>
>>72359838
who gives a shit? why do you give a shit?
>>
>>72359838
Share stuff no one else has, then they'll have to dl from you
>>
>>72359977
Get noided.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.