[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/songwriting/ general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: boobdulan.jpg (82KB, 712x726px) Image search: [Google]
boobdulan.jpg
82KB, 712x726px
Can someone give me some thoughts on a couple of melodies/chord progressions?

I feel like I tend to slip into this habit of writing really obvious contemporary pop kinda melodic turns that I'm not a fan of. It's been really bugging me lately, specifically with these two songs I'm working on, would definitely appreciate hearing if y'all are getting that too from them.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1zymLPthiuK
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0jQhvFYtdy8

Those are both very much unfinished, and pretty sloppily played, but I just wanna give y'all an idea of what I mean.

Also I tried posting this in a vocaroo thread before making my own but that thing was dead as hell.
>>
>>72356863
don't quit your day job.
>>
>>72356863

Here's a quick tutorial in songwriting f

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mU0sjsp6Y&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>72357033
Wasn't planning on it dude. I've never really deluded myself into thinking I could make money from this. It's just a hobby but I'd still like to improve.
>>
>>72357069
Is this that infamous "meme rap" I've heard so much about?
>>
>>72357098
if you weren't trying to become a professional then why even try to improve?
>>
>>72357098
Don't know what these niggas on cause you're actually really, really good. Great guitar playing / voice and I don't think your melodies are half bad. This could be great shit with some decent production.
>>
>>72357318
What kind of a question is that? Why does anybody try to improve at any hobby?

Dude I just wanted some thoughts on the songs, I even provided specifics on what I'd like to improve on. I'd be more than happy to receive harsh criticism but you gotta give me more than just "don't quit your day job." What exactly did you not like?
>>
>>72357765
Oh, well that's very nice of you to say. I have a decent recording setup that I'll use whenever I actually get around to making an album, but as of now I'm still just trying to write these songs in a way that doesn't feel too cliched to me.
>>
>>72357900
Nothing about your melodies struck me as cliche or "contemporary pop" though. They give me some heavy Elliott Smith / Nick Drake vibes.
The only criticism I have about them is that they start to feel a bit repetitive after a certain point. Writing in some choruses that use different chords could help to liven things up I think.
>>
>>72358053
Yeah I guess it's pretty obvious I'm a big fan of those two artists, if anything I should probably work on not wearing my influences so heavily on my sleeve, but that'll just take time. And as I further develop the songs I'll definitely work on adding in some variation. Thanks again for your thoughts.
>>
>>72356863
I think next time you should just upload the vocals over a simple drum beat made in Garageband so that we can actually hear the vocal melody better.

>Can someone give me some thoughts on a couple of melodies/chord progressions?

Here is a website that is slighly useful, you just place in a tempo and a key and then place in the chords you want. Its confusing at first, but if you listen to melodies from other songs on the website it makes more sense.
https://www.hooktheory.com/hookpad/new
>>
File: MUSIC-ANGEL-PICTURE.jpg (17KB, 234x333px) Image search: [Google]
MUSIC-ANGEL-PICTURE.jpg
17KB, 234x333px
>>72356863
>>
>>72358387
Thank you, I'll check this out.
>>
>>72358457
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>72356863
I want to work with you
>>
>>72356863
Just curious, did you start out by humming the melody notes?
I know that some songwriter just hum into a voice recorder when they have an idea in their head and then listen to it later to see if the melody they hummed is good enough for a song.
I think that is how Max Martin and Taylor Swift write music, and there are also demos of Michael Jackson humming out his ideas for a baseline and for the chorus on Billie Jean.
I also know that some artists will hum out the noises they heard in a dream.
>>
>>72358813
No, I've never gotten in the habit of doing that. I basically always start with guitar, and not even chords necessarily but just fingerpicked phrases. Then I'd build everything off of there. Maybe that's my problem, and I should start with the melody to make it the focal point. I'll try that out.
>>72358742
I'm incredibly lazy and do everything at a painfully slow pace, so believe me, you don't.
>>
can someone explain to me how to write songs?
>>
>>72359291
As I mentioned above, I know that people like Max Martin think that it is better to start off with a melody than going to chords.
So you either improvise by playing random notes on a piano, playing random notes on a guitar or random notes that you hum out with your voice.
I know that Taylor swift with hum things into her phone and then check back on it a while later to hear if the idea was 'good'.

You can also put up a pitch correction software and extract the Midi from the audio file you imported. It will lay down the notes from the hum or notes you made and from there you can see if the notes sound good as a synth(can use it as a bass synth, or a riff, or get the music notation).

For example, MJ hummed out the notes, and he had someone find out what notes he was singing so that it can be played for the guitar riff:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeYw1bm53Y

There is also an audio of Taylor Swift just humming out Blank Space on the deluxe version of her album 1989.
>>
>>72356863

this first song is enjoyable op, you did good. obviously it needs to be refined but fuck the haters
>>
>>72359291
step 1: cut a hole in a box
>>
>>72359459
Forgot to add, you can 'compose' melodies in a lucid dream because they do sound better than ones in real life, but you would need to know how to lucid dream and control what you dream about.

Here is another video of an artist humming out a song. It was Sia who wrote the song for Rihanna's successful song "Diamonds" and lyrics were just placed in for the hums.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_7h0t5ax4
>>
>>72359518
sing a song in that box?
>>
This is pretty good though.
I always spend weeks together trying out different chord progressions. They start out as stray but eventually materialize into songs. Lyrics come next, and finally putting the words into a tune to match the chords.
I believe that a lot of a song's innovativeness comes from the background instrumentals and not on the vocals.
>>
>>72358203
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s1zymLPthiuK
wtf you're really good
>>
Anyone have any advice on how to start songwriting?
>>
>>72362027
Just start.

You will be shit, and the songs you write will be shit. But keep writing and you should get better.

It helps if you are really good on whatever instrument you are writing with. Especially in terms of voice, because your imagination can be constrained by your skills on an instrument.
>>
>>72362169
Thanks. Do you have any advice for recording software for basic stuff?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.