[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genre Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: MyHeadHurtINeedToLieDown.jpg (89KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MyHeadHurtINeedToLieDown.jpg
89KB, 1080x1080px
What genre do you think gets misconstrued the most?

What genres do you not know the differences between?
>>
>>72352693
>What genre do you think gets misconstrued the most?

emo

>What genres do you not know the differences between?

EDM / IDM ;-)
>>
>>72352693
what is the difference between alternative rock and indie rock
>>
>>72352713
As much as I like the music that is referred to as "IDM", I'm not sure what constitutes it as a legitimate sub-genre.
>>
How different are breakcore and drill and bass? and is flashcore related to either because it's amazing.

Also melodic metalcore seems to have very little in common with metalcore, or my understanding of metal and hardcore punk fusions is completely inaccurate. metal + hardcore tends to confuse me in some manner
>>
dubstep and brostep
>>
>>72352754
Think it is regional more than anything. It was called alt rock in the US and indie in the UK.
>>
>>72352754
Indie rock is marketed towards teenagers
>>
Country

Screamo and everything else similar I guess
>>
>>72352754
I think

Alternative rock = a rock performance with use of instruments beyond a traditional rock setup

Indie rock = rock artists that are not signed to a major music label (still capable of being considered alternative rock if that's what they play)
>>
>>72352913
>Screamo and everything else

Usually people refer to metalcore groups as "screamo", but screamo is a completely separate genre that emerged in the 90's and tapered off in the early 00's.
>>
>>72352754
Alt rock is more dark and heavy, indie rock is more melodic and bright
>>
>>72352936
Not really. Alternative rock seems like rock merged with elements that are usually not in rock music. That's why bands like the Minutemen (includes jazz and folk influences), Sonic Youth (noise factors), and Nirvana (distortion I guess) are all considered "alternative rock" despite all having a "traditional" setup.
>>
>>72352936
>Alternative rock = a rock performance with use of instruments beyond a traditional rock setup
not at all. but i know there is a genre that's described as that, but i can't think of it at the moment.
>>
>>72352881
stop pretending to know what you're talking about
>>
>>72352693
>MyHeadHurtINeedToLieDown.jpg
What did OP mean by this?
>>
I legitimately cannot tell the difference between black metal and death metal.
>>
>>72353413
I'm Op. It's a Bones (soundcloud rapper) song. Because I can be trash sometimes.

>>72353448
(From what I've noticed) black metal is just more satanic in nature and the vocals are more screechy

death metal is much more throaty/growly vocals and the music is more punishing and rhythmic than black metal. I'm sure a /metal/ anon could clear the air on that one
>>
>>72352936
Nah. Alt rock doesn't need to use non-traditional instruments. Non-traditional guitar tones and tunings, song structures, lyrical themes, and so on can qualify.
>>
>>72352912
That or its not marketed at all
>>
what the fuck is the difference between new wave, post-punk, and synthpop?
>>
>>72353727
new-wave and post-punk are almost synonymous only post-punk is a very specific era of music '79-'82 or '83. new-wave is a catch-all term to describe all the british music acts that emerged in the 80's. and synthpop is popular music with the use of synthesizers and sometimes drum machines. It's a pretty definitive sound of the 80's.
>>
>>72352693
This bitch always looks super uncomfortable and stinky
>>
What's difference between C86, jangle pop, and twee pop?
>>
>>72352901
dubstep is a genre that developed from 2 step, uk garage, dub, and techno music
hallmarks include gritty production, use of the 3/4 times signature, and spoken word vocals in the style of rap and reggae toasting

brostep is a term used to describe electronic music that makes liberal use of low frequency oscillators to produce a wobbling bass and plenty of screeching midrange synth leads

I think the latter genre was largely developed in America based around a few British tracks that had the wobbly wub wub bass going on
>>
>>72354228
>new-wave and post-punk are almost synonymous only post-punk is a very specific era of music '79-'82 or '83
Nigga you've got it reversed
>>
File: COJZga_WoAAlwb8_1.jpg (15KB, 180x177px) Image search: [Google]
COJZga_WoAAlwb8_1.jpg
15KB, 180x177px
>>72352693
>>
>>72354314
>difference between C86 and jangle pop
None. C86 is just jangle pop with a worse sense for melody and therefore people who dislike pop music like it more

>twee pop
heinously annoying and/or extremely cutesy vocal stylings and lyrics, intentionally uncool, tends to have more hooks and is catchier
>>
>>72354404
Is post-punk not simply an era? how would you describe it?
>>
>>72352754
alt=80s-90s
indie=00s-10s
>>
>>72354438
oh also the first two are british but twee is mostly from the US
>>
>>72354314
C86 was a compilation cassette released by NME in 1986. It's not really a genre per se but it's become a metonym for the jangly lo-fi pop included on the tape.

Jangle pop refers to the jangly guitar work originally associated with 1960's pop bands. The style had a resurgence in the late '80's, most notably Johnny Marr's stuff with The Smiths. Jangle pop is having another renaissance right now with Mac Demarco at the forefront.

Twee pop is related to jangle in that the bands often make use of jangly guitars but twee is set apart by especially earnest lyrics combined with an innocence more in line with the stuff from the sixties than the eighties revival. Twee is also generally more upbeat in the vein of sunshine pop. Belle & Sebastian typify twee pop for me.
>>
>>72354556
worth mentioning that C86 was kind of a negative term for a while that referred to a kind of intentional posing by bands trying to sound more lo-fi or authentic
>>
>>72352693
Misconstrued in what sense of the word?

It's an over-generalization but I would have to say I think people misunderstand what folk music is the most when you try to talk about it. People just think it's pretentious hipster music.
>>
>>72353448
Black metal and death metal are both rooted in thrash metal, so there's some overlap, but I'll try to concisely list some general differences.
Black metal: tremolo picking, comparatively simplistic and repetitive, fewer solos, sometimes has a focus on atmosphere, showmanship generally shunned, growling vocals are rare, low tunings rare, lyrics are sonetimes spiritual, much less manic on the whole, comes mostly from Europe, often intentionally lo-fi
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3zAZeyCIqO4
Death metal: chunky, pummeling riffs, showmanship and technicality often integral, gruesome, gory lyrics, maniacal feeling, growling vocals are standard, solos are common, comes mostly from America, production quality is usually proportional to the budget,
https://youtube.com/watch?v=72BkII5Z9Cg

This doesn't cover every band or splinter and I never could account for that. These are more general characteristics.
>>
>>72354471
I think he means that new-wave is more associated with '79-'83 and post-punk is the later stuff like Zen Arcade, which came out in '84
>>
>>72354621
While I love metal as a whole, the whole black vs death thing has always eluded me. I've always had difficulty separating the two for the most part. There are are plenty of bands that sound like both of the descriptions you gave. The fact that "blackened death metal" is actually considered a legitimate genre baffles me. I think the metal community as a whole is overly zealous about how justified they are when it comes to categorizing sub-genres. Sometimes it almost feels like it comes down to fucking difference tempos (see sludge, doom, and stoner). Three supposed sub genres that bare a ridiculous amount of similarity between themselves it hardly feels justifiable to distinguish amongst them.
>>
File: 1492217041932.jpg (116KB, 487x376px) Image search: [Google]
1492217041932.jpg
116KB, 487x376px
>>72354411
Wtf is that picture
>>
>>72354764
I agree with you on those three. I still have trouble differentiating them.

As a rule of thumb I think, If it sounds like qotsa, it's stoner. if it sounds like melvins, it's sludge. and if it sounds like electric wizard, then it's doom. But the annoying thing is, A mostly stoner artist will have an album that sounds more doom and vice versa.

>>72354630
If that's the case, i'll be damned if I've ever heard it described that way. When I think new wave I think duran-duran and more pop-y bands, and post-punk I think of joy division, the cure, etc.
>>
>>72355094
>>72354764
And drone metal too! it's like wtf are we doin here?
>>
>>72352693
>What genre do you think gets misconstrued the most?
metal, and progressive rock

>What genres do you not know the differences between?
none. I generally understand what the differences are "meant" to be even if they're usually not all that perceivable musically. usually comes down to aesthetic, marketing, region, time and place etc.

>>72354484
this guy gets it. although a lot of 80s punk and alternative is retroactively called indie like sonic youth
>>
>>72355094
Duran Duran is synth pop that was influenced by new wave. New wave is markedly weirder and more alternative stuff like Talking Heads, Devo, and Oingo Boingo, all of whom started in the '70's.

There's definitely some overlap between post-punk and new wave but I'd argue that new wave tends toward a poppier sound versus the rock edge of post-punk.
We're probably agreeing here.
>>
>>72354764
>the whole black vs death thing has always eluded me
I think anon gave an easy-to-understand and accurate description of the differences

>sludge, doom, and stoner
look at it this way - doom metal is the genre. sludge metal is doom with a nice helping of hardcore punk, noise rock and industrial music. stoner throws it back the original black sabbath sound, although more often than not it's just doom metal with a dude weed aesthetic

>>72355141
>And drone metal too! it's like wtf are we doin here?
I don't get how you could be confused about this one

metal gets a lot of shit for this stuff, but really the subgenres are no less necessary than in rock (indie, alternative and punk have a ridiculous amount of crossover, for example)
>>
>>72355278
I see what you're saying. There's bound to be overlap because people didn't really know what to call the music that was happening after punk was dying off
>>
>>72355278
>When I think new wave I think duran-duran and more pop-y bands, and post-punk I think of joy division, the cure, etc.
I always thought of the distinction as being more about the punk sensibility or lack thereof, at least in reference to UK artists. joy division, siouxsie and the banshees, bauhaus, all clearly in the punk lineage. new wave was a bit more pop oriented. although really the overall takeaway is that the distinction doesn't matter - bands like the cure and mid-career siouxsie blur the line too much
>>
>>72355555
Checked
>>
>>72355555
quints of truth
>>
What's the difference between Funk and Soul?
>>
>>72355094
>>72355141
>>72355310

Night Goat (7" version) by the Melvins, my fav track of theirs, wtf kind of metal is this? Doom or stoner or sludge? Like come on I think you could make the case that it's any three of them. That's a big reason why I think having three different titles for this kind of music doesn't make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-Wq3s9ADg
>>
>>72355652
Sludge, since it has hardcore punk influence. That's what separates sludge from the other two genres, while stoner is separated from doom by having marijuana imagery, is typically slower, and also has psychedelic rock influence.
>>
>>72355701
So stoner metal is just doom with lyrics about pot? There has to be more to it than that...and what's slower than regular doom? Drone metal I guess. And "psychedelic influence" does that mean using effects on the vocals and guitar solos? Or is it deeper than that.

Also, what is hardcore punk influence to you? Being a fan of 80s hardcore I don't hear any resemblance to it and the Melvins track at all. They definitely have more punk songs but I don't hear it in Night Goat.
>>
>>72355600
soul tends to be softer and has more...well... soulful lyrical themes
lots of love songs and songs about pain

funk is more upbeat with a greater focus on the instrumentation, particularly the bass lines and drum beats
>>
>>72352693
most misconstrued? that'd be country music, compared to that tractor rap shit they play on the radio and call country music
>>
>>72353056
>>72353058
>>72353563
>>72352936

Alt rock uses musical influences/genres that aren't rock and meld it with rock.
That's where you get things like funk rock, noise rock, goth rock, folk rock, rap rock, etc.
>>
>>72352713
>EDM / IDM
its position on the autism spectrum
>>
>>72355652
I think you're getting too caught up in it, really. They're general guides, they're not prescriptive don't have to be completely distinct from each other.

I'll put it this way - if someone told me they liked Eyehategod, my first recommendation to them based on that information probably wouldn't be Kyuss.
>>
>>72355750
As he said in the post you referenced, theres a more psychedelic sound associated with stoner metal and the drug imagery goes beyond lyrics to song titles, album art, and even the instrumentation. The psychedelic sound comes from guitar effects, vocal effects, and sometimes the incorporation of eastern scales and instruments/sounds like sitar.

The album A.T.O.M. by Russian band Кaмни typifies stoner metal for me.
https://kamni.bandcamp.com/album/a-t-o-m
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.