[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEW GAS LP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: The kikes.jpg (76KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
The kikes.jpg
76KB, 425x425px
Wolfgang Voigt drops a new GAS LP with seemingly no press warning (I only heard about it from my Amazon recommended purchases). First new GAS music in 17 years and I truly think this is the most impressive come back I've ever heard of after that long of a hiatus.
I was initially worried he was going for a cash grab after the success of the GAS BOX, but after a few listens, it's evident that he's been working on this for quite some time. It's ridiculously dense.. and while it still has that distinct atmosphere of his other work, this sounds rather different than the other LPs.
Anyone else love this shit as much as I do?
I wonder how this will all be critically received. Most outlets gave the reissues perfect scores, but I feel like they were able to do that because they were under the impression that he was done making music under the GAS moniker..
I hope people don't dismiss this as just another GAS album, like there's nothing new to see here..
>>
>>72292406
>Wolfgang Voigt drops a new GAS LP with seemingly no press warning
shit was hyped months back, there was even a teaser track.

but yeah, it's pretty great
>>
>>72292406
its cringy backpambient for white normies to "chill" to listen to art ambient or traditional drone musics faggots
>>
>>72292444
u okay there buddy?
>>
>>72292443
Huh, I had no idea.. Pleasent birthday surprise for me though. His music benefited from use of the orchestral instruments throughout the album.
>>72292444
>white normies
>art ambient
>traditional drone music
Wasted trips.
>>
tfq all Gas threads die after a few posts
>>
File: 1477260726842.jpg (23KB, 645x395px) Image search: [Google]
1477260726842.jpg
23KB, 645x395px
>>72292675
I saw another thread, but it was about comebacks in general so only the OP mentioned GAS.. everybody wanted to post about other artist.
It's a shame, he makes some of my favorite music. I wonder if he'll continue or if this will be the final LP. his body of work was perfect already with the three LPS and few stray tracks, this is for sure a welcome addition to his discography.
>>
>>72292406
i love it
in my top 5 for aoty's
>>
>>72292846
What are your other four albums right now?
>>
>>72292444
>backpambient

What fresh meme hell is this?
>>
File: R-41225-1164924347.jpeg.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
R-41225-1164924347.jpeg.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
This is my favorite of his. Top-tier comfycore.
>>
>>72293229
the geetar is nice on this, but I think I like Narkopop a lot more. I think Zauberberg was his most cohesive.
>>
>>72292406
Can i get a dl link?
>>
>>72293567
same desu
>>
>>72293390
Narkopop is a bit too cold sounding to me. I prefer his warmer tunes.
>>
>>72293225
This meme reached a peak in 2013 with a slew of critically acclaimed ambient electronic releases being referred to as backpambient in an effort to maintain the boards counterculture. The term was thereafter used increasingly sparingly to disparage music as being "normie downtempo" akin to Tycho and Bonobo post Dial M for Monkey, etc. We may or may not be seeing a resurgence in 2017 as it seems to early to tell.
>>
>>72293567
>>72293635
https://mega.nz/#F!UrAk0BYC!zSewPSjYJeIxQRahR8sYbA

also here's the new Slowdive if anyone needs it:
https://mega.nz/#F!ZuZWBaCb!Actqfyrv7D6l3Uv3z21z-Q
>>
i dont get it. sounds like ambient for people who have never listened to ambient before ie- back pambient.... can anyone articulate on how this stands out? sounds like completely middle of the road shit.
>>
>>72293166
Actress - AZD
Joe George - Zone
Call Super - Fabric92
Arca - Arca
>>
>>72293673
Thanks man
Anything you're looking for?
>>
>>72293390
thats weird, I think Narkopop is his most cohesive thus far.

also, thoughts on Oktember? Is Oktember even worth talking about?
>>
>>72294475
Oktember was the perfect length. Almost like an after thought after the 3 LPs, not that it's to be ignored.. I felt like the 3 LPs were meant to replicate a day cycle: Zaurberg being the dead of night, Koingsforest being either sunrise or sun set, while POP is the bright center of the day. Oketmber doesn't really fit in their, but still a great ep.
>>72293876
What you prefer over this? Honestly I don't know of any other recording artist who captures the atmosphere he does. Very unique music. And please don't just throw a bunch of obscure bullshit at me for the sake of throwing obscure bullshit at strangers, I get that you think it's backpack music XD and "babys first" whatever, but when I hear this stuff it really strikes me as unique and beautiful.
>>
>>72295556
what are the most beautiful GAS songs to you brother?

Pop 4
Königsforst 5
Zauberberg 1+2

for me.

Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard t b h. Basically has the same effect as the Disintegration Loops on me.
>>
>>72295634
>what are the most beautiful GAS songs
Gas 2
Königsforst 2
Königsforst 5
Zauberberg 7
Narkopop 10
>>
I really enjoy some of his darker tunes, like most of Zauberberg and this, any artists that really try to hit a pretty similar style?
>>
>>72296394
william basinski IMO but no techno there.

see el camino real
>>
pop and narkopop are almost perfect for me. both really different and similar at the same time. love them
>>
narkopop 5 is fantastic, what a buildup
>>
>>72295634
Not that guy but my favorites are
Z 2, 6
K 5
P 6, 7
N 2, 7, 9, 10
Narkopop has the most "holy shit I'm transcending" tracks, his other albums only had one or two apiece whereas this one has multiple extremely high points.
>>
>>72296467
This surely isn't what you meant but I'm posting it anyway because I enjoyed playing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwte_IvCmpw
>>
>>72296797
>wolfgang hasn't sampled the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra

there is still time right boys
>>
Y'all should look into Segue, I love his music and puts me in a similar mood
>>
File: 1449270327403.jpg (152KB, 960x731px) Image search: [Google]
1449270327403.jpg
152KB, 960x731px
>>72295634
It's me!
Koingsforst 5
First track on Pop
Zaurberberg 7 (honestly my favorite Gas track)
There's a lot on Narkopop that are serious contenders, but with timeless music like this, you gotta be patient and see what stands out.
So satisfied with the new album.
I love the loops as well. How did you feel about A Shadow in Time?
>>
>>72298794
I absolutely adored A Shadow in Time. I can't expand on that thought (Too far deep in liquor atm), but Basinski certainly delivered. What did you think of it bro? Did you like the first or second track better?
>>
>>72298794

Also good Gas picks. Königsforst 5 seems to be a Gas classic for most
>>
>>72298827
Hey, just got back from seeing Trainspotting 2 in a local theater while pulling from gin flask (great sequel btw), so I won't be all to able to enunciate myself all to clearly either.
Bar none the second self titled track. I loved both of them, but the first one really just sounded like a great track off of the loops with added guitar. The composition and structure off of the second track is some of Basinski's finest work.
Great taste btw man. Next drink goes out to you
>>
Hahaha dirnk up my friend good feels all around 8). How was TS2? I need to see that shit.

Favorite artists bro?

More wine for me
>>
File: 1471115150878.jpg (39KB, 480x584px) Image search: [Google]
1471115150878.jpg
39KB, 480x584px
>>72298967
Fantastic. Danny Boyle did an excellent job with the sequel and I definitely recommend watching it when you have the time.
That's always a tough question.. I really like early Steve Roach, like Structures From Silence and Quiet Music.. GAS, of course.. In terms of working artist I'd have to say Oneohtrix Point Never is currently in my number one spot. His releases cease to amazing me.
In terms of more conventional song writing, I really like Cass Mcombs.
I've seen both acts live and they certainly lived up to the high standards I had for them.
How about you?
A wine toast? good stuff. My grapefruit and vodka is toasted in your direction
>>
File: 3.9.17.jpg (916KB, 1485x950px) Image search: [Google]
3.9.17.jpg
916KB, 1485x950px
All shitty box red wine atm. Coming your way anyway though. Cheers my man!

Without too much reflection:

Tim Hecker
Oneohtrix Point never
Fennesz
Pan Sonic
Autechre
GAS
William Basinski
------
Some of Dan Barrett's works
Whitehouse
Ryoji Ikeda
Philip Jeck maybe

I'll add my chart from a few months ago on pic related.

What's up my dude? Is Narkopop one of the better Gas releases? I'm starting to feel that way, perhaps it's too premature to say though; certainly a new Gas album is something to feel inappropriately excited about.
>>
this is a nice thread you guys have me a good read thank you :-)
>>
>>72299129
*gave
>>
>>72299029
>>72298967
drankin on PBR rn fammy
I'm a fan of OPN, not too fond of GoD, made me feel too claustrophobic. an uncomfy album

My favs, GAS. who else? Idk I'm really into noise and shit, so merzbow has gotta be up there, and you can never go wrong w/ eno. stars of the lid = overrated.
>>
>>72299156
Different poster i assume

Chart poster guy here, wasn't a fan of GoD either. R+7, Replica, and Returnal we're ace though.

Could never get into Eno, no idea why. What album would you recommend based on the chart and list I posted? I'm thinking Ambient 4 or Apollo.

Stars of the Lid has beautiful (?) material, but they're awfully challenging in the sense that they are overtly droney and slow-paced IMO.
>>
File: black.jpg (2KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
black.jpg
2KB, 330x330px
>>72299128
Hey thanks for the pic and the recs.
I hate to get all fanboy, but I honestly love all of OPN's releases. GOD really clicked with me, hearing all that 90's extreme rock circulating around me and my friends ears while we we're growing up was brilliance to my ears. Tim Hecker has perfected his craft. My favorite Hecker album has to be Virgins.. the acoustics instrumentation really add a dimension and atmosphere quite like nothing else.
I think Narkopop might be some top tier GAS.. it is only a day old, while his other works all have almost 20 years behind them. But God, all the new tracks are so dense and have much more to explore than previous GAS track. I'll give it time, but I love it for now
>>
will respond soon

bump
>>
>>72299128
Hey and Nigga on the Moon is absolutely brilliant. The percussion is out of this world
>>
>>72295777
>Gas 2
Trips confirm.
>>
>>72292444
imagine being this unhappy with your life
>>
>>72299298
I mean, I love being an asshole on the internet and all, but that dude.. I have zero idea what he was going for. It's a shame this thread will die and I'll struggle finding you guys with similar taste again
>>
Can we all agree that the people who think Pop is his best or his only good album are poseurs?
>>
>>72299222
Forget eno, Yellow Swans and Jefre cantu ledesma
>>
>>72299385
Only good, yes.
Best, no. That's a valid opinion.
I'm very interested to see what critics do with this most recent LP.. They were giving his body of work perfect tens assuming he shelved the GAS moniker,. I sure hope they don't cheap out and call this redundant. He has no political or financial gain for any media outlet, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was largely dismissed as a tired/redundant rehash.
It's so rare we get honest music like this that exists for the sake of beauty and itself..
>>
File: 0dot5.png (4KB, 599x30px) Image search: [Google]
0dot5.png
4KB, 599x30px
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2017

It's starting.
>>
>>72299464
Dratz.. drinking too much.
I meant to say that it's fine to consider POP his best work, but by no means his only good work
>>
>>72299464
metacritic score: 85
this will be hailed, but it isn't political enough to really draw the attention of most critics. Even given Gas's history, is still find many tracks wholly refreshing like: 6, 9, 7, 2. There truly is something special about this album. Most critics will leave it as: "more ambient over 4/4 beats", but that simply isn't fair considering the ambient is very well honed, especially at this point in Voigt's career
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.