[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Albums you just can't get into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

Yeah no, seriously, how is this not just basic indie rock? It's ahead of its time, I guess, but it doesn't strike me as that great. Why is this album treated as a class? I really don't get it. It just seems to me there's a million albums that sound like this.

To be fair, I'm not that interested in Velvet Underground or The Strokes, so maybe they're just not for me?
>>
File: Love_-_forever_changes.jpg (53KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Love_-_forever_changes.jpg
53KB, 300x300px
I tried to listen to pic related some months ago, don't even remember what it sounds like but I remember disliking it a lot.

>>72228371
I feel the same way about The Strokes
>>
Unknown Pleasures. Too lazy to get the picture
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 397x115px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 397x115px
oh no doubt. they are the unimaginably grotesque spawn of talking heads and like fucking boston or something. the vocals alone are insufferably beligrently almost self parodically bad. the riffs are laughable. it's mixed horribly. fuck this album.
>>
>>72228596
Same
Don't get the hype at all.
>>
>>72228596
its just depressing and pretentious. i used to have a friend who literally tried to copy Ian Curtis' entire persona without anyone noticing and it ruined them for me
>>
>>72228371
All the albums that sound similar to it are most likely influenced from this album itself. for its time, it was revolutionary, and it still holds up extremely well today. and of course the guitar work on this album is just amazing
>>
>>72228371

It's easy to be underwhelmed by it because you're not seeing its influence. That album predicted so many of the popular sounds in the 80s and 90s, most notably being the incredibly crisp and machine-like production that would come to define pop in the 80s

>>72228596
It's one of the most visceral and intense albums ever made. One day its going to click.
>>
>>72228371
>>72228502
>>72228596

This is what being a pleb looks like
>>
>>72228596

Name one album that was just as depressing as Joy Divisions catalog before 1979

They were innovative for their time but there is nothing else beyond that.
>>
>>72229902

>nothing else beyond that

how about you actually listen to music before posting here
>>
File: 1488166774604.jpg (23KB, 261x261px) Image search: [Google]
1488166774604.jpg
23KB, 261x261px
>>72228502
>>72228371
>>72228596
what the fuck
>>
>>72228596
read the lyrics and try to understand the rest of the music as embodying that anxiety and bad emotions in general
>>
>>72228502
how is it possible to not like this album. Its so quotable.

THEY'RE LOCKING THEM UP TODAY
THEY'RE THROWING AWAY THE KEY
I WONDER WHO IT WILL BE TOMORROW
YOU OR ME

ALL GOD'S CHILLINS GOTTA HAVE THEY'RE FREEDOM
>>
>>72230069

How about you try to understand I was referencing the band and not music in general you fucking good human being with normal morals and a job and a decent lifestyle.
>>
>>72228371
>It just seems to me there's a million albums that sound like this.
yeah because they were inspired by marquee moon

>>72228596
unique productioun, minimal and spacious arrangements, fucked up lyrics

>>72228502
haven't listened to this t b h even though i see it everywhere
>>
>>72228502
Do you just not like music? This is an album literally anyone can get into, its so accessible yet so good.
>>
>>72230382
>yeah because they were inspired by marquee moon
I get that, maybe if I don't like those either, I won't like Marquee Moon? The chorus on the title track is nice though.
>>
>>72228371
>basic indie rock?
Nig, wtf, there are no indie bands that get close to the virtuosity, playfulnes, synergy and slickness present in this album. You don't even have to like it, but the comparision is totally off.
>>72229587
>>72230382
>inspired/similar
You mean, like the guitar tone, or what? at least tell me those bands have lenghty improvs.
>>
>>72229706
>>72229587
It also predicted alternative/grunge. The album has aged very well--there's some 70s AOR conventions on it, but only a trained eye will notice them.
>>
I'll just get it over with now, I still think this is the most elaborate practical joke where everyone pretends and convinces themselves that Jeff Mangum's horrible fucking vocals is any good.
>>
>>72228371
i genuinely dont understand. it's insanely influential, and yet still few, if any, albums have come close to replicating the guitar work on this album. It's tight, but not plastic or overproduced, and it sounds like it could've been released like 5 years ago. What don't people like about Marquee Moon?
>>
>>72233235
a lot of people just aren't bothered by nasal or unconventional vocal styles. I love NMH, Saintseneca, You Won't, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, etc. because the songwriting still appeals to me a lot and the voice doesn't bother me at all, I just consider it an interesting texture.
>>
>>72233157
>The album has aged very well--there's some 70s AOR conventions on it
Those being...? (genuinely curious)
>>
>>72233511
The somber atmosphere of MM is very much part of period rock convention, in fact the grunge guys owed most of their sound to having grown up on 70s AOR. The production and lack of solos were definitely unique for the time, and some of the guitar licks predict the grunge era by almost 15 years.

In fact most of the actual grunge bands were less innovative than Television because they tended to have blues rock with solos (especially Pearl Jam) that could have been ripped from any one of a dozen 70s bands.
>>
>>72230370
nick drake
>>
>>72228371
>>72228502
>>72228596
This fucking always happens to me when I listen to super acclaimed albums. I don't get any of the quoted ones. Or Pet Sounds.
>>
>>72236166
what didn't you like or not understand about pet sounds?
>>
>>72236166
do you like rock?
>>
>>72229126
Gyuhehehehe, that actually sounds fucking hilarious, did they start faking seizures and stuff?

>>72228371
I think after Marquee Moon the album severely declines in quality, though still the interplay between Lloyd and Verlaine adds a lot of character to the album and paints a distinctive sound. Though I do see your point, it is essentially Is This It before the fact (with actual writing this time).
>>
>>72228371
is this marky moon's band?
>>
>>72228371
>how is this not just basic indie rock?
>It just seems to me there's a million albums that sound like this.
It's an extremely influential album that has been ripped off a million times. When it came out it was a groundbreaking breathe of fresh air. Back then only a very small handful of bands sounded similar to it. This isn't hard to figure out, senpai. I shouldn't have to explain this.
>>
>>72234008
>>72233511
The extended instrumental jamming on the title track is pretty typical of the 70s.
>>
>>72236459
Elevation and Torn Curtain are great though, and the other two are solid as well
>>
>>72236519
Good enough for RHCP to blatantly steal the riff from Elevation.
>>
>>72228371
>>72228596
Marquee Moon and Unknown Pleasures are timeless classics.
>>72228502
>The Strokes
I agree with you. Well, some of their music is fun but most of it is pretty basic and unremarkable. They didn't innovate anything, they just copied superior bands. They got so much acclaim because they were in the right place at the right time. Back in the early 00s music critics were getting really fed-up with mainstream rock and pined for old school rock music. If The Strokes had released their debut in 1997 or 2011 they wouldn't have gotten so much acclaim.
>>
>>72236579
>Back in the early 00s music critics were getting really fed-up with mainstream rock and pined for old school rock music

Per Christgau's review of By The Way: "How desperate rock scribes are for remaining bands of any commercial clout that this release was greeted with hosannas in a slow news month."
>>
>>72236628
>>72236579
The kids were too. I thought rock in the early 2000s was so fucking boring. Like why do they just play power chords? Where's the cool solos like in 70s stuff? If you want to know why mainstream rock died off, it's because no 14 year old was motivated to pick up a guitar after listening to Nickelback or Disturbed.
>>
>>72228371
F R I C T I O N
>>
Threads like this remind me how many kids there are here
>>
File: surfer rosa.jpg (271KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
surfer rosa.jpg
271KB, 600x600px
This or Doolittle. I mean, they're alright albums in their own right but I cannot understand for the life of me why they're classics. Aside from Something Against You and maybe Monkey Gone To Heaven at a stretch I don't get the hype.
>>
>>72236992
They're popular for their soft loud formula
>>
>>72237015

Ah. That actually makes some sense. Well, alrighty then.
>>
>>72236992
One of the rawest rock albums production wise, it just sounds so good
>>
>>72236992
Yeah I don't understand how anyone can like this modest mouse rip off
>>
File: 5b46e7f4.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5b46e7f4.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
Its hard :c
>>
>>72237015
And the fact that where is my mind has been covered and has been copied a million times
>>
>>72228371
anything by velvet underground or joy division
>>
The Seinfeld is not funny trope for music. A lot of the shit you probably listen to that came after this album was probably inspired by this album so you near it now and you can't understand why it was ahead of it's time or something new when it came out.

Thing is Seinfeld was one of the first shows I watched and latched onto seeing as I was born in '89 so everything that came after Seinfeld that stole tropes from Seinfeld didn't do this to me.

But for example, I'm happy I didn't listen to much shoegaze before Loveless.
>>
>>72236688
I never thought of it like this but now that you think of it, it's true. This is Nirvana's fault, after hair metal rock should have been followed up with something heavy but not whiny. Nirvana was responsible for so much garbage in rock during the 90s and it poured over into the 00s. Rock lost it's tough edge and all we got was shitty post-grunge Pearl Jam rip-offs shitty pop-punk, and trash nu-metal. All with melo-dramatic whiners who played nothing but power chords and sung gay shit.
>>
>>72228596
Just listen to it when you are feeling really sad or are depressed it should click then
>>
File: 1489612219769.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489612219769.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
/mu/ more pleb than Reddit confirmed
>>
>>72228371
you won't find guitar work that good on most indie rock albums

also marquee moon was released on elektra, so its not exactly fair to call them an indie band
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.