[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intense artists who had to "go soft" to create a masterpiece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: e093e576ff240accf3aa9783a05d3e88.jpg (149KB, 1535x987px) Image search: [Google]
e093e576ff240accf3aa9783a05d3e88.jpg
149KB, 1535x987px
Intense artists who had to "go soft" to create a masterpiece
>>
>>72209428
I haven't heard any of his albums, what are some of his more intense ones? I only heard him on The Flaming Lips and Heady Fweads record and I liked him a lot
>>
>>72210079
From Her to Eternity
>>
>>72210079
Skeleton Tree. You have to be in the mood to listen to something like that.
>>
>>72210079
The Good Son
>>
>>72210502
> Intense
>Skeleton Tree.

What are you talking about?

>>72210079
The Birthday Party (Nicks first band) is full on postpunk screaming, "Release the Bats" is so insane it's hard to take seriously. His early albums, From Her to Eternity and The Firstborn is Dead, is slower and grindier, but still harsh. After that he balanced out a bit and with Tender Prey he started on more of an intense altrock streak (well, alternating between tense altrock and balads), Henry's Dream is great.

Then of course after Boatmans Call Nick went into full on ballad.
>>
File: dg.jpg (641KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
dg.jpg
641KB, 960x540px
>>72209428
>>
>>72210079
Distant thunder rumble. Distant thunder rumble
Rumble hungry like the Beast
The Beast it cometh, cometh down
The Beast it cometh, cometh down
Wo wo wo-o-o
Tupelo bound.
Tupelooooooooooooooooooo
The Beast it cometh, Tupelo bound
Why the hen won't lay no egg
Can't get that cock to crow
The nag is spooked and crazy
O God help Tupelo!
Tupelooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>72211936
>Intense
>Skeleton Tree.
>What are you talking about?
It's an album about his son's death. On the other realm of intensity of something like The Birthday Party's Junkyard.
>>
File: 0 (2).jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0 (2).jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>72212017
Actually it's not. Halfly maybe because he was already doing the album when his son died
>>
>>72212066
Check the documentary about the album.

You can even read it in th lyrics. It's really about his sons death.
>>
>>72212066
but current Einsturzende Neubauten is mellower and way shittier. Silence is Sexy was good, but the rest is bland as fuck
also they "went soft" on Five on the open ended richterscala, and that was a 8/10 album but not better than Hause der Luege that came later
>>
Einstürzende Neubauten - Silence is Sexy

I like their early harsh noise but then they made started making softer more accessible music that's insanely fucking good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnGYaqjW-A
>>
>>72213682
Their "harsh noise" era ended with the first two albums. Silence is Sexy is good but they started going dowhill really fast since then, with an ocasional good song every now and then.
Sad, coming from a band that could do no wrong until that point, FM Einheit took their soul when he left
>>
>>72212572
>Check the documentary about the album.

I've seen it and they specifically mention the "prophetic" nature of the lyrics specifically because at least half of them were written before his son's death.
>>
File: current93.jpg (65KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
current93.jpg
65KB, 700x700px
>>
File: 51JJ0GpN2fL.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51JJ0GpN2fL.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
swans... they used to be so fucking hard
>>
>>72213857
You have to be in the right mindset to listen to it. The album will crush you. Literally. He's probably surpassed Steven Wilson in that regard. I know there are other more bleak and desperate sounding bands, but he's an obvious example.
>>
This doesn't apply to masterpiece really but Dillinger Escape Plan is a good example of this.
>>
>>72213899
>He's probably surpassed Steven Wilson in that regard

I'd certainly hope he's surpassed that insufferable hack.
>>
>>72213929
>I'd certainly hope he's surpassed that insufferable hack.
Oh, come on. I know he's popular to hate here, but really.
>>
File: IMG_2578.png (267KB, 469x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2578.png
267KB, 469x357px
>>72211958
came here to post this
>mfw p4k unironically gave NOTM a 6.7 because they couldnt "get it"
>>
File: MI0000642565.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MI0000642565.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>72209428
I'm not sure if I can call it a masterpiece, but I can definitely call it underrated in his discography. It's still recognizably Don, but in a different spectrum.
>>
>>72213895

I think The Great Annihilator saw the band bring back a little of their harder tendencies considering the 3 albums before it. Parts like the coda of She Lives, Mind/Body/Light/Sound, and Alcohol The Seed might as well have been a return to Filth form compared to anything on White Light or Love of Life. And even then, I doubt anyone would consider the likes of The Seer or To Be Kind to be completely lacking in their old bite.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.