[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turntable Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG0217.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0217.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hello /mu/, let's have a turntable thread. I picked up this TT from my local GoodWill, but I could barely find any info on it. It's a Technics Sl-BD24, and it only cost $13. It's missing the belt, but everything seems to be functioning well (though I'm unsure if the speeds are correct.

Do any of you own this, and if so what is your experience with it?
>>
File: IMAG0218.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0218.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>72206980
here's a picture of the logo
>>
It's a really basic really common MIJ turntable. It's weighted which is good but it's only good for playing back records. Youre going to need a pre-amp for the best sound, unless what ever stereo you plan to hook it up to supports a line level input. Look online for the service manual you might be able to find a belt and needle (because I bet it needs one) part number for it but it's not really worth putting any money into. Honestly I hate belt drive turntables, you might want to keep looking for one a tad nicer.
>>
>>72207758
I have heard that belt drives give the best sound quality for stictly at home play. What is it about them that you dislike?
>>
>>72207855
Belt drive is prone to speed flutter, but it is less effected by vibrations and imperfections in the record than direct drive. It actually isn't that big of a deal and it kinda comes down to preference/ operating space, the good thing about direct drive is less parts to fail, but they're typically more expensive and heavy.
>>
>>72207916
I see. What about headshells? The one on this TT is a p-mount, but from what I've read it might be a better option to seek a different type
>>
>>72207855
Also there are very few professional grade turntables that are belt drive, direct is the preferred but it also might have just been a case of Japanese gimmickry, in terms of thier wide usage. I should also note I DJ so I might be a little biased. You still should look for a nicer turntable tho. Most dusty old beat thrift store tables aren't worth saving, only because they're so abundant.
>>
>>72207955
P mount is fine, it has lots of perks like ease of replacement and relatively low cost, again it's another feature common of MIJ tables. Only audiophiles talk shit about it, as far as I've seen lol
I'm not sure if the headshell can be removed on that model, some cheaper models are fully integrated into the arm. The needle of course can/should be replaced.
>>
>>72208025
>>72207957
thank you friend. Based on your input, I'll probably return it soon and just wait it out to buy a higher quality vintage
>>
>>72206980
Got a Technics SL 1200 MK2, would I ever reach a point where that isn't good enough or could I just keep until I stop listening to vinyl completely
>>
>>72208077
No probs Anon glad to help
>>72208088
Nah if you're just playing back records that thing is perfect. They're the gold standard for DJ turntables and still super popular even after going out of production like 15 years ago. Hold on to it and keep it safe it's pretty much one of the best entry level pro models you can get.
>>
>>72208186
Thank god, I picked one up a while ago for 200 and had to fix it up a bit but it's so worth it now, might have to get a new tonearm though
>>
>>72208238
Deff get it fixed, $200 is a steal. They go for 400-500 up here in the NY metro area. I actually have 3 of them (and one Audio Technica ATLP120, which is a clone of the SL1200) and they're so great. Like I said just keep it safe, don't let any one tell you to sell/trade it away lol they're only getting rarer (but not more expensive) as the years go on
>>
>>72208313
I already got it fixed I mean
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.