[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scaruffi on "The Seer"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: The Seer.jpg (48KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
The Seer.jpg
48KB, 300x300px
>the very same critics and publications that ignored the Swans when they were releasing one masterpiece after the other hailed this mediocre senile work as a masterpiece 30 years later, finding all sorts of hidden meanings in what was simply an astute sellout.

How did Swans "sell out"?
>>
>>72200827
by making poppier more accessable music that kids who listen to mac demarco and animal collective and shop at urban outfitters like. its clear they went a more accessable route from their early work... not saying its bad but it clearly has more commercial appeal...
>>
>>72200892
Sweet bait, even if you weren't joking, that isn't convincing in the slightest. There isn't anything commercially appealing or accessible about this album
>>
>>72200892
>>72200962
yeah honestly the old swans sounds like the beatles compared to new swans
>>
>>72200892
>the seer
>poppier and more accessible than anything past holy money
haha
>>
>>72200962
im not saying its super commercial. im saying its MORE accessible and therefore more commercial than their pre-reunion work.... i personally wouldnt say they are sell outs but i get what scruffy means... selling out is a relative term. someone whose always been in it for commercial success and gets slightly more poppy isnt sellign out. someone who made really noisy heavy dark yelly music and made sort of minimalist groovy clean sounding post rock is getting more accessible.
>>
File: swantsatreat.png (72KB, 354x1032px) Image search: [Google]
swantsatreat.png
72KB, 354x1032px
>>72200827
Maybe if you read the fucking review you fucking idiot. The preceding paragraphs he delineates his points. But nah you don't give a fuck about discussing music, eh?
>>
>>72201105
The music isn't more accessible or "poppy" , the word is spread out more easily. We live in the internet day and age, with sites like Pitchfork or TND spread the word about the album. More people want to then listen to it, and then buy it. Hence why their more successful as musicians, plus Swans have been around for 30+ years and people have discovered them. The music isn't anymore "poppy" than before, that's asinine. It's not Gira's fault that it got praise and success, he didn't sell out in any way
>>
>>72201127
I did read his review, dingleheimer and I still don't agree with his point because it's bullshit. I don't find what Scaruffi speculates as influences or musical comparisons convincing for Swans "Selling out". That's fucking stupid in every aspect
>>
File: 1486002902842.jpg (13KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
1486002902842.jpg
13KB, 180x240px
>>72201227
Then why did you make the thread if you already had your opinion? You could be making your own music right now oh my god.
>>
>>72201105
They've been groovy since Greed.
>>
>>72201255
Sweet bait, you really got me there. Irony and "DUDE TROLL LMAO" is real hilarious. God I fucking hate teens these days
>>
File: 20_11.png (1MB, 1159x552px) Image search: [Google]
20_11.png
1MB, 1159x552px
>>72201315
Bait? You're the one who made a thread when you ALREADY HAD AN OPINION ON THE MATTER you fucking idiot. I'm outtie, keep being a bitch, playa.
>>
>>72200827
The closest they ever where from being sell-outs was in the post-punk era.
>>72201280
The Swans EP is pretty damn groovy.
>>
>>72201127
Though I believe that all the tracks on the album are good, I mostly agree with this. One of the few times I agree with him.
>>
>>72201255
>>72201350
Are you retarded?
>>
>>72201356
The Burning World is by far the most sell out venture Gira has ever done in his whole career. Especially if you consider the Love Will Tear Us Apart cover. He has practically said so himself and I don't blame him whatsoever. And that's not saying there's nothing good or interesting or genuine about that record, but it was following the money.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.