[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 64

File: 1492245310952.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492245310952.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
Figured we should have one of these threads again. Any particular releases, compositions, performances, or artists you've been enjoying in general lately? Any particular style or era?
Pic related for me.

Anyone seen the decade jazz charts that were made recently? Thoughts?
>>
>>72188256
been enjoying this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQ8j4MdWug Eric Dolphy
>>
>>72188329
Nice! I do love myself a bit of Dolphy.
>>
File: 1492189553066.png (741KB, 690x687px) Image search: [Google]
1492189553066.png
741KB, 690x687px
Jimmy Giuffre- Tangents in Jazz (1956)
>cool jazz, third stream

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/OMtlynbH/file.html

sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziq49BHfZQk
>>
File: 81NaQhhEpGL._SX425_.jpg (61KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
81NaQhhEpGL._SX425_.jpg
61KB, 425x425px
Anyone heard the new Chris Potter? Just saw it there on slsk and I'm downloading atm. Didn't think it was out till later in the month though!

>>72188256
Any particular releases, compositions, performances, or artists you've been enjoying in general lately? Any particular style or era?
I recently relistened to Sun Ra's Atlantis. I think I must have been like, 16 the last time I heard it and my tastes have changed a lot since then. One or two tracks like Lemuria, the "Saturn" version of Yucatan parts of the title track and /Mu/ were really good. Lemuria and Mu are kinda like Monk playing funk or something. Really jagged and minimalist, but there's a reasonably recognisable fusion influence on them rhythmically and melodically. In a piece as long as Atlantis, unless you have a particularly uninspired ensemble, there's bound to be something good and a lot of the noisy keyboard freakouts are actually pretty enjoyable. A lot of the rest was fucking awful though (both on Atlantis and the other tracks). Rain on a tin roof-tier percussion, awful fidelity (especially for the time it was recorded) and poor note choices that result in very corny sounding melodies. There are plenty of very major intervals in the middle of free pieces that feel like they've been played without much thought as to the effect they're gonna have. There is a way to use consonance as powerful tool in free jazz, but here it just sounds like it's a byproduct of hitting random keys rather than some thoughtful tension releasing device or something.
>Anyone seen the decade jazz charts that were made recently? Thoughts?
Could have been better. Could have been worse. I've gotten some nice albums off them so I'm happy.
>>
I've been trying to switch to spotify premium ever since my external hd crashed and i got a new phone with limited space but the holes in their catalog really piss me off sometimes.

It's no way to build a solid digital music collection. I've got a physical one too, but sometimes it's nice to just pull up something out of my backlog instantly and play it on the drive to work, you know?

Plus I'm trying to build up a giant playlist of songs i can just throw on shuffle while working since I'm not always into my other music or the local jazz or npr station.
>>
Hank Mobley's "Workout" is supremely underrated.
>>
File: 50s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
50s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
In case anyone is wondering which charts op is talking about:
>>
File: 60s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
60s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
>>72188922
>>
File: 70s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
70s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
>>72188937
>>
File: 80s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
80s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
>>72188954
>>
File: 90s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
90s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
>>72188966
>>
File: 2000s jazz.jpg (3MB, 1829x1595px) Image search: [Google]
2000s jazz.jpg
3MB, 1829x1595px
>>72189006
>>
File: 2010s jazz.jpg (2MB, 1829x1147px) Image search: [Google]
2010s jazz.jpg
2MB, 1829x1147px
>>72189018
>>
Thanks so much dude
>>
thx brother
great charts
>>
File: 2035551.jpg (25KB, 300x293px) Image search: [Google]
2035551.jpg
25KB, 300x293px
Bump
>>
File: TAB - Seahorse.jpg (36KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TAB - Seahorse.jpg
36KB, 1000x1000px
I never thought I could enjoy a jazz album with no bass player. I sure as hell enjoyed this, though. Bookmark it and give it a spin when you're in the mood for something chill and contemplative.

https://homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/seahorse
>>
>>72188256
love this album, im not hugely in depth when it comes to jazz but i love miles Davies and john Coltrane as well
>>
I also enjoyed the new Toufic Farroukh album as much as his previous one. If you like post-bop and the Afro-French jazz connection, check it out.
Don't bother with his pre-2010 stuff, though.
>>
Someone needs to take Rabih Abou-Khalil aside and gently explain that you can't write jazz if you have no understanding of harmony.
>>
>>72190569
Will do my man!
>>
File: IMG_3679.jpg (167KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3679.jpg
167KB, 600x600px
Jazz AOTY

fuck you if you don't like it
>>
>>72191754
why is it always the guy who's heard at most 3 jazz albums this year who thinks he'a the ultimate authority on what the best jazz album of the year is
>>
>>72191995
Why is it whenever jazz purists get confronted with something new that's actually good all they can do is shout NOT REAL JAZZ over and over
>>
>>72192112
Do you need any more gasoline for that strawman? Cause I got a whole arsenal of comebacks for people who hate Pharoah Sanders we could fuck at him too.
>>
>>72188256
Do you have download of this?
>>
>>72192112
Literally nobody even said that
>>
>>72191754
I like it a lot, but I kinda prefer the new Necks album.
>>
>>72192155
What's your favorite jazz album of this year? I'm not the person you're responding to but I'm still getting into jazz and I'd like to know.
>>
>>72191754
After a string of releases for the Clean Feed label, "Disappeared Behind the Sun" is the latest release by the nonet calling itself Angles 9. The band's horn section features trumpeter Magnus Broo, cornetist Goran Kajfes, alto and tenor saxophonist Martin Kuchen, trombonist Mats Leklint, and bari saxophonist Eirik Hegdal. The rhythm section consists of vibraphonist Mattias Stahl, pianist Alexander Zethson, bassist Johan Berthling, and drummer Andreas Werliin.

The five original compositions all take a similar approach, mixing simple melodies and rock-based grooves with bouts of free improvisation. The record opens ("Equality and Death") with an unaccompanied improvisation by Kuchen in which he vociferates with a stubbornly overblown sound, before the rest of the ensemble comes in with a driving vamp in 3 and a simple unison melody. The piece swells in volume and energy, and the horns create a chaotic effect as they solo together, but unfortunately the piece fails to develop much beyond that, as the rhythm section sticks obstinately to its repetitive groove.

The second track, "Ardror" unfolds in a similar manner, this time with a slow backbeat underscoring the gradual buildup of the horns. The arrangement of the horns is slightly more interesting than the opening track, but the rhythm section still holds on unimaginatively to their simple vamp. Luckily "Pacemaker" changes things up a bit with an engaging collage of horn noises to start the track, though after a minute of this they quickly transition into the groove- a slow shuffling funk- that defines most of the rest of the track.
>>
>>72192234
The title track is the definite high point of the album- opening with a lovely melody that is harmonized nicely by the horns and then a duet section between Broo's trumpet and Zethson's piano which actually contains quite a bit of engaging interplay. Unfortunately the duet also brings into focus the rather odd piano sound; it sounds distant and out of tune- almost like live recordings of the famously out-of-tune piano from the Five Spot Cafe from the 50's. If it's an intentional choice, it's a strange one that doesn't add anything to the music. As the rest of the band comes in, the melody develops and builds nicely, and leads into some nice solos- first a nice vibes solo that inspires Werliin to get away from the groove somewhat on the drumset, then an impassioned alto solo from Kuchen where the band finally manages to leave the groove behind them completely. The closing track, "Love Flee Thy House" begins interestingly, with the band approximating a slow, anthemic melody (embellished nicely with bits of improvisation) but then morphs into the inevitable vamp. Luckily the rhythm section manages to move a bit beyond their vamp during an interesting trombone solo.

These compositions, and the band in general, show potential, but unfortunately they don't quite realize that potential on this recording. Simple melodies and basic rock grooves can make for an interesting approach to free jazz, but the rhythm section's stubborn adherence to the simple grooves and written vamps often holds the music back. The few times when the rhythm section abandons these written vamps and follows the soloist are the clear high points of the album.
>>
>>72192216
Was just posting in that aoty thread funny enough. I'm >>72191772
I'm probs gonna go digging around more over Summer, but atm I'm more or less just looking at ECM albums and whatever I see /mu/ talking about so there's probs more up to date people itt who could point you towards some good sheet that's out this year.

Tentatively, it's probs >>72188665
But I've only heard it the once.
>>
>>72192216
not the guy you're asking but i've been going through jazzthreadguy's list and so far my favorite is craig taborn's

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
>>
>>72191754
>fuck you if you don't like it
It's this kind of attitude that makes me assume this is just more rockist trash
>>
>>72192562
didn't even know he had a rym
>>
>>72192112
nobody said its not jazz, its just not as good as you pretend it is homie
>>
Don't fight, friends.

:(
>>
>>72188922
>>72188937
>>72188954
>>72188966
>>72189006
>>72189018
i like all of these, 1960s needs one trane record with the alice, sanders, garrison, trane, and ali line up but other then that it checks out haha
>>72189034
still dont loooove this one. ignores all the great free jazz from the decade, the area where i think much more interesting stuff is happening from some of the older guys.
>>72188256
night train was one of only 4 cds i had in my car through all of high school. i can honestly say i can sing every solo on it. great record from a definitive trio, though not the most adventerous.
>>
>>72194378
>ignores all the great free jazz from the decade

Such as what? Any recommendations?
>>
File: Ben Schachter-Entranement.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ben Schachter-Entranement.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>72192216
i stand by this one dammit. also william parker has a new duo bass cd i love. whit dickey has a great record called vessels in orbit and matt shipp released piano song as well as 8 vols. of music with ivo perelman. its a good year for free jazz.
>>
File: miles-davis.jpg (29KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
miles-davis.jpg
29KB, 306x306px
I feel like listening to Miles Davis. Give me any of his projects and i'll listen to it. Something more obscure, other than his most popular albums is also good.
>>
File: farmers-by-nature-1.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
farmers-by-nature-1.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>72194450
Farmers by Nature. one of most important bands to form in the last ten years, i believe. this chart does have a david ware release but id argue matt shipps more recent contributions like the root of things have been stronger. enjoy!
>>
>>72194576
What have you heard and liked by him so far?
>>
>>72194576
dark magus and live at newport 58 and live in tokyo from 65 i believe. the tokyo one is the second great quintet but with sam rivers instead of wayne.
>>
>>72194496
Wait weren't you just saying last night that you can't think of any odd time stuff that you liked? This album had all kinds of odd time straight eighth grooves on it. In fact the best parts of the album sounded like a watered down Chris Potter with Dave Holland.
>>
>>72194378
>night train was one of only 4 cds i had in my car through all of high school.
what were the other 3?
>>
>>72194613
I have heard Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, Water Babies and Doo-Wop and some songs off Live-Evil
>>
>>72194378
Btw, congrats on getting to play with William Parker mang! That's fucking awesome.
Nice knowing jtg isn't the only professional musician posting here.
>>
>>72194711
I haven't seen him post in a long time
>>
>>72194706
As someone said in that other thread, I'd definitely second Filles de Kilimanjaro and Big Fun.

On the Corner is more well known, but also still great funky fusion.
>>
>>72194711
Never knew jtg was a pro. What does he play?

Also shame the archive is fucked up so all his shares are gone.
>>
>>72194706
and im not sure if i have liked any of the bigger tracks, because they're so long and i loose the hang of it. Also i've heard Miles in Tokyo and On The Corner and after I think of it i kinda wanna try Agharta. Is it good?
>>
>>72194789
Agartha and Pangea are great live albums from that era.
>>
>>72194734
I'm pretty sure he posts anon.
>>72194779
Piano. He mostly does latin stuff iirc but he's put up some really nice recordings of himself doing some Bill Evansy type stuff too.
Also, check soulseek out mang. It's got a lot of jazz on it.
>>
>>72194955
> Also, check soulseek out mang. It's got a lot of jazz on it.

My college blocked it last semester.
>>
Can we talk about free jazz here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8
>>
>>72195000
Of course
>>
>>72194970
That's tragic. The guy running the archive is still supposed to have a backup, but in the post I saw where he said that, he was also bitching about all the people on /mu/ whining.

I'll be praying for you anon. Hope it goes back up. Are you looking for anything in particular atm?
>>
>>72195097
Not really. I'm open to anything I can get my hands on.
>>
File: flabby white liberal.jpg (39KB, 558x372px) Image search: [Google]
flabby white liberal.jpg
39KB, 558x372px
>>72194659
okay (jtg?), i guess its time for me to state my case on this record. ill start with ben is my mentor on pretty much all things so i would definitely call my opinion biased. his playing on odd meters is really all i can say i genuinely like and think grooves very hard and he solos with great fluidity (i havent listen to the dave holland record yet, someone dropped a bunch of archie shepp in my lap last night and ive been loving it). i will also say that this studio record does lack a lot of the energy he has when i see him live, which i see him every time he plays. ill say that if i were to post my bootlegs of him or if they made a live album based on their monthly residency then it would absolutely fuck you up. it is genuinely one of my favorite releases of this year but idk maybe im also just trying to recognize him as one of people i respect the most in the world or something. i love this record and bens playing forever, but again, im probably biased. sorry if that upsets you man, but hes given me a lot and made me like my own playing.
>>72194670
a love supreme, live at temple (trane), and mingus blues and roots. but when i got to college all i wanted to do is sound like ray brown.
>>72194711
jtg still posts as an anon, im convinced i talk to him in almost every thread haha. he knows a looot. on william parker, thank you very very much man, i have only recently starting studying with him and during our last lesson he asked me to join his orchestra for bill dixons 90th birthday celebration in october. i hope i can still make it cause i will be over seas for a while around then but i will hopefully be able to fly back for it. i was so honored i could have cried.
>>
File: ornette!.jpg (18KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
ornette!.jpg
18KB, 300x298px
>>72195000
>tfw Scott LaFaro didn't get to push Bill Evans into making a free jazz album with him
Why live?
>>
File: programmation_2017.jpg (556KB, 1329x1772px) Image search: [Google]
programmation_2017.jpg
556KB, 1329x1772px
considering to go there if work allows it
what do you think ?
>>
File: hoooooooooo.jpg (24KB, 522x459px) Image search: [Google]
hoooooooooo.jpg
24KB, 522x459px
>>72195000
...digits...and yeah, the avant garde is one of the more thriving traditions recently in my opinion.
>>
>>72195148
That's cool. We all have biases. It just surprised me that you could like that Schacter record and not appreciate the Dave Holland Quintet. Or that you could like Schacter so much but not appreciate Chris's playing. To me they both definitely come out of the Brecker school of playing, with a lot of modern finished stuff but Schacter's def got a heavy dose of Trane in some of the things he does too.
>>
>>72195319
thanks for understanding man, and like ive said, though i dont like the studio holland quintet music ive heard, i have alot of hope for this live record and will definitely check it out this week or earlier. i like a lot of chris's music though as ive said before, i only really really love it when he was playing at the vangaurd with paul motian. idk about brecker but ben is a trane nut, i mean hes like probably the leading source on trane that i can think of.
>>
i should really start shedding but ill leave you all with this. ill be back later if this thread is still going or maybe start a new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHGecAW44g
>>
>>72195376
Do you know Ralph Bowen? He teaches at Rutgers and has a cool way of doing that Coltrane sound. His playing is less methodical than guys like Schacter or Potter, more stream of consciousness.
>>
>>72195478
Thanks man. Glad to have you with us.

Hopefully we can make these threads a regular thing again.
>>
>>72195168
looks kinda meh really

Ahmad Jamal and Herbie Hancock are worth seeing live just so you can say you did and Archie Shepp will probably be cool. Donny McCaslin are also good and Yaron Herman might be cool.
>>
>>72195557
i do know ralph, hes good but im not super familiar.
>>72195571
thank you for having me haha, i was much more well liked as an anon it seems maybe but i think im starting to find my footing. i plan to start running jazz generals soon, still thinking about the format but im almost there.
>>
>>72195918
Cool cool. I look forward to it.

Should we do some shares in this thread or no? I'm thinking rare stuff like >>72188573 that isn't on any streaming or download services and went out of print ages ago is alright, right?
>>
an empty bliss beyond this world is the only jazz album I've enjoyed so far 5also one of the few I've listened to)
I'm normally into metal
what albums have the sad contemplative vibe of aebbtw or the energy of metal?
>>
>>72196384
oh yeah i would love to see some shares in the jazz threads, im just remarkably un tech savy so idk how that all works but im all for it. im unfortunately a benefactor of the retched spotify and then im most on vinyl otherwise so i dont have much to share.
>>
File: VSOP_The_Quintet.jpg (48KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
VSOP_The_Quintet.jpg
48KB, 500x490px
Was digging around my old records and found this so gave it a spin. Shit fucking blew my mind, insanely tight sounding group, they play together so fucking well.
>>
>>72196516
Spotify is alright for major label re-issues of stuff that was on Blue Note and Verve, but it's severely lacking a lot of things. Lots of partial discographies and missing music released by smaller labels that have since become defunct and missed the digital music boat.
>>
File: chart.jpg (3MB, 1726x6240px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
3MB, 1726x6240px
is the jazz part any good?
>>
>>72196846
agreed. the no ecm is a killer but i usually buy or find that stuff by other means.
>>
>>72196894
not this shit again
>>
>>72196895
Yeah the ECM thing is a huge shame.

I just wish there was a good way for me to get back into having a decent mp3 collection for stuff I want on the go. iTunes is way too clunky.
>>
>>72196913
i've only seen it posted one time
>>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08md8wj

Latest episode of "Jazz Record Requests" on BBC Radio 3 Horace Parlan who died in February.
>>
>>72196923
I never understood all the hate for iTunes. I have over 4000 albums in my library and it was too big for my hard drive so I got iTunes match and I never really have any problems with it. And I can access the entire library any time from my phone.
>>
>>72197053
It's just slow as shit on my computer.

And I no longer have an iphone anymore so I don't really need it. I just haven't found a replacement.
>>
>>72196475
anyone?
>>
>>72197396
The Caretaker is really more ambient constructed out of old jazz samples. If you like that, you might like Jan Jelinek's Loop-finding-Jazz-Records which takes microscopic jazz samples and turns them into IDM. Or try The Pavilion of Dreams by Brian Eno and Harold Budd.

If you want something with crazy high energy, lots of improvisation and technical skill, and distortion, there's always free jazz. Here's a well known, but more extreme example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
>>
>>72197633
>Machine Gun
Wish I hadn't deleted that album.
At the time I was de-cluttering and couldn't think of a reason I'd ever want to return to it.
But now I realize it could be cathartic.
>>
Quick question about jazz flute if anyone wants to field it.

At 2:40 in this Yusef Lateef song, mid flute solo, he begins vocalizing the notes he's playing as he plays them. Which isn't a big deal, a lot of jazz pianists do it. But my question is, are there any jazz flutists that vocalize while they play, but who actually vocalize notes different from the one they're playing? Like either something in harmony or even completely dissonant from what's coming out of the instrument?

https://youtu.be/ioetev-aw4c
>>
>>72197633
thanks for your reply, I'll screencap it and listen to those as soon as I can
I like the distortion and the energy on what you linked me, but the improvisation might not be for me yet
you got anything with a little bit more structure?
>>
>>72198721
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk

this perhaps?
Free Jazz is fairly structure-less, though I'm certainly no expert on the genre, so I'll let someone else answer if they have a good suggestion that fits the bill.
>>
>>72198890
I actually don't really like this one, less energy wich makes me focus on the "wonkyness" wich I can't really apreciate
Also bump cause genre related genrerals are cool
>>
>>72199754
no problem
I hope you find what you're looking for
>>
what the fuck do reviewers and people mean when they say shit is "quartal"? I read that all the time about jazz and have no idea what it means.
>>
>>72198721
>you got anything with a little bit more structure?
you might like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYlofKlliE

>>72200258
Typically chords are built with the interval of a 3rd. Either major or minor 3rds. That's what's called tertiary harmony.

But when you build them with 4th's instead, it gives you a different sound and is called quartal harmony.

McCoy Tyner is usually the guy most associated with the quartal jazz sound, though now most pianists have incorporated that sound into their own playing.

It's also easy to play quartal chords on a guitar because the strings are tuned in fourths (except for one string)
>>
>>72188256
I just listened to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CT8g5Ia21w

enjoy it
>>
>>72200506
>It's also easy to play quartal chords on a guitar because the strings are tuned in fourths
You know, it's funny. For how convenient it is to just barre or add 4ths on guitar, I don't do it all that often. At least when playing jazz. They come out sounding very prog rocky when I try use them.
They're as basic a part of my bass playing vocab as 7ths are, but then bass is my first instrument and it's much easier to make just about any note make sense and sound the way you want it to when you're only playing one or two melodic lines.
>>
>>72200506
>>72200958
Interesting
>>
File: 1 - Front.jpg (116KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
1 - Front.jpg
116KB, 500x445px
bump
>>
>>72202180
Good selection my friend
>>
>>72202463
Such a great album. A tad abrasive and not without flaws, but still among the best stuff he ever recorded.
>>
File: cover.jpg (380KB, 2108x2108px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
380KB, 2108x2108px
Can you guys suggest something similar to pic related
>>
File: Amon_Tobin-Bricolage.jpg (36KB, 400x394px) Image search: [Google]
Amon_Tobin-Bricolage.jpg
36KB, 400x394px
>>72202583
You'll probs have an easier time asking /hhg/ or something. BBNG are closer to the realm of "jazz influenced stuff" than actual jazz. Jazz musicians tend to play fusion pretty differently to how pop musicians do.

Not exactly the same, but you might enjoy pic related.
>>
>>72202583
>>72202835
seconded, im pretty knowledgable about jazz but when it comes to stuff like bbng, christian scott or snarky puppy im useless. also hi everyone im back for the evening.
>>
File: reaching fourth.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
reaching fourth.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
I've been enjoying this recently, very swinging and when Tyner gets a long line going it's always so surprising but satisfyingly complete. Also I love any chance to hear Henry Grimes.
>>
>>72202583
Maybe try Niechęć
>>
>>72203136
ill add that me and anons recent listening of this was inspired by me seeing it laying out in william parkers apartment on thursday. Grimes is fantastic and a big part of what makes the record unique. mccoy and haynes need no introduction.
>>
>>72203230
What else is Parker a fan of?

Also, tell us more about you and Parker. That's so crazy that you know him.
>>
File: le vent.jpg (330KB, 1400x1242px) Image search: [Google]
le vent.jpg
330KB, 1400x1242px
Has anyone else heard this?
>>
File: zooid.jpg (8KB, 234x215px)
zooid.jpg
8KB, 234x215px
Tuba is such an underused instrument in jazz.
I feel like it got a good run in big cool jazz arrangements with people like Bill Barber, but otherwise I think I've only heard it in dixieland.
Never heard it in anything like pic related before. It suits free/avant jazz like this really well.
>>
File: william parker.jpg (88KB, 500x703px) Image search: [Google]
william parker.jpg
88KB, 500x703px
>>72203261
sure! well he loves john coltrane, archie shepp, anthony braxton, art ensemble of chicago, roscoe mitchell, stan getz, paul bley, sonny rollins, henry threadgill, bassists wise he loves and studied with wilbur ware, jimmy garrison and richard davis. hes also expressed some fondness for paul chambers and charlie haden. (im sure he likes more stuff but this all the stuff hes explicitly told me he loves). he does not like vijay iyer at all. as far as my relationship with Mr. Parker, i met him after his 65th birthday celebration concert, i told him id like to study with him and that i want to make more healing, beautiful music. he invited me backstage to eat birthday cake with him, bobby zankel, dave burrell, and muhammad ali. i asked him if i could begin studying with him and he seemed excited. i take a lesson with him about once ever 6 weeks and email somewhat regularly. hes an incredibly nice man, after my most recent lesson i was talking with him and his wife and he asked me to play with him on a gig in the fall and said he wants to introduce me to more of the new york free heavyweights. i really didnt expect any of this stuff would happen to me, life is very good. anything specifically youre interested in knowing?
>>
>>72203691
>anything specifically youre interested in knowing?
Anything you can talk about I'm down with.
>>
>>72203389
heard this for the first time about two weeks ago and havent been able to put it down. i really really reallllyyy love this record and HIGHLY reccomend it.
>>
>>72203691
What do you play? Can we hear something from you?
>>
File: comfy.gif (1023KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.gif
1023KB, 500x750px
>>72203710
hmmm well, think of some questions and ill do my best to answer my man, i just cant think of anything else to say out of no where. he is very wise and he is very good at putting the indescribable into words. he originally wanted to be a poet and still considers himself one, as do i.
>>
>>72203724
It's like magic. I can't tell half the time whether they're adhering to some sort of rough prewritten changes/structures or whether they're actually just fucking psychic. They follow each other so well but the pieces and solos are so sprawling, weird and volatile, I feel like they couldn't be that heavily composed. At least not outside the clearly areanged parts.
>>
>>72188922
>>72188937
>>72188954
>>72188966
>>72189006
>>72189018
>>72189034
Gonna try to put all of these in a big playlist.

Also, I'm trying to build of a gigantic playlist of classic golden era non-vocal jazz. Like I'm talking the very tail end of the Big Bang era with maybe a bit of swing, through cool jazz, modal jazz, bebop, Hard bop and post-bop to maybe the VERY earliest free jazz and jazz fusion releases (again I'm trying to keep it fairly "traditional" and not too "out there" so I can throw it in the background at home or at work). So roughly in the time frame of the early-mid 1940s to say, ~1970?

I'd love to hear some recommendations.
>>
File: bass.jpg (49KB, 581x778px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
49KB, 581x778px
>>72203746
BASS man and well, no, not right now. sorry haha im working on what i think is a very interesting project right now but it probably wont be ready for a little longer but maybe ill tastefully shill that when its ready now that i have a trip code haha.
>>
>>72203871
i believe he uses a style of improvised counterpoint that he created where he gives each instrumentalist a range of notes from a tone row that they are allowed to improvise within but im not really sure the specifics of how it works or if thats even right. i just know he has a very specific style of counterpoint that he created and makes his band learn.
>>
>>72203927
cool man, don't blame you. Must be exciting getting connections with some established players, best way to jump start a career.

What's some William Parker albums you recommend? I've heard some of his stuff but not too familiar.
>>
>>72203997
Damn. That's pretty awesome and would explain a lot of how the album sounds... Will have to look into that. Whatever the methodology is, it works brilliantly.
>>
>>72203997
Shiii now I have to hear this album too
>>
Where the fuck can I discover/hear ECM releases outside of soulseek?
>>
File: 1478644316907.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478644316907.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>72204045
Luc's Lantern
The Peach Orchard
Other Dimensions in Music
>>
>>72204208
Stream on their website and then buy it
>>
>>72204208
You wait for them to magically appear here or on a rando blogspot
>>
>>72204208
My local record store has a special section just for ECM, didn't know the label was that popular.
>>
>>72188665
Somebody up this to mega?
>>
>>72204347
damn. Where you live?
>>
File: WP.jpg (102KB, 553x369px) Image search: [Google]
WP.jpg
102KB, 553x369px
>>72204045
haha yeah, we'll see, no matter what you do self doubt is a thing man. if youre serious about getting in to william parker and his cronies i highly suggest reading a short book called New York is Now. Its an in depth look at the new york, black free jazz scene from the lates 90s til about 2002 written by a guy who said the vision festival orgnaized by parker changed his life. this is what hes on from a spotify playlist i made to introduce a jewish bassist of mine to black free jazz.
>William & Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra- Sunrise in the Tone World
>WP&LHCMO- Mass for the Healing of the World
>William Parker- Double Sunrise Over Neptune
>William Parker- Painters Spring
>David S. Ware- Go See the World
>David S. Ware- Live in the World
>Matthew Shipp- Pastoral Composure
>Charles Gayle- Touchin' on Trane
>BONUS ROUND
>William Parker's solo bass records Testimony and Crumbling in the Shadows is Fraulein Miller's Stale Cake
>William Parker- I Plan to Stay a Believer: The Inside Songs of Curtis Mayfield
also these >>72204210
>>
File: Quartet_(Santa_Cruz)_1993.jpg (29KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
Quartet_(Santa_Cruz)_1993.jpg
29KB, 400x395px
I fucking love this
>>
File: 1483816621787.jpg (25KB, 532x320px) Image search: [Google]
1483816621787.jpg
25KB, 532x320px
can i just play along the scale and call that a "solo"?
>>
>>72204458
Call whatever you want a solo, but I wouldn't buy your record.
>>
File: 1484417993801.gif (138KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1484417993801.gif
138KB, 600x401px
>>72204421
fuck also Farmers By Nature, all their albums are good but my favorite is Out of this worlds distortions

also jewish, bassists friend of mine*
>>
File: 1478658320865.jpg (472KB, 630x770px) Image search: [Google]
1478658320865.jpg
472KB, 630x770px
Is Fred Hersch an ironic thing or...?
>>
>>72204361
I'll up it here in the morning if the thread's alive.
Will Zippy do? I've got a mega account but I'm not sure if I remember the password.
>>
>>72204607
sure thing
>>
>>72205089
what kind of faggot shitposts the jazz thread? I guarantee your mom regrets having you.
>>
>>72205143
probably someone from /classical/

they always bitch about jazz being called "america's classical music" and slag it off as being "nigger trash" and such
>>
>>72205143
Jazz sucks
>>
>>72205182
Oh lovely
>>
Listening to pic.

>>72188256
>>72188329
>>72195201
>>72202180
Good tastes, friends

>>72188922
>>72188937
>>72188954
>>72188966
>>72189006
>>72189018
>>72189034
Thank you, anon, I've been wanting to check out 90s and 2000s jazz but didn't know where to start.

>>72194576
>>72194706
Do Kind of Blue just because of its fame but I would recommend Aura and You're Under Arrest.
>>
>>72205217
pretty sure half the people in those threads are autistic white supremacist /pol/ tards because they never shut up about being the "master race" and how "whites are genetically designed to be the peak of artistic ability"
>>
File: 51f+LxC3buL.jpg (59KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51f+LxC3buL.jpg
59KB, 500x500px
>>72205226
And of course I forgot to add pic.
>>
>>72205243
>>72205217
>>72205182
>>72205143
>1 shitpost
>4 shitposts about the shitpost
Who's really the problem here?
>>
>>72205276
The shitposter, obvs.
>>
Best 40s jazz albums?
>>
Damn, threads like these are great but also make me feel kinda shit because I like jazz, been listening to it for a couple years now but know nothing about music theory, is everyone here trained? I'd like to but have little time when I'm not with work and family
>>
Favorite Monk records? I'm having trouble connecting with his angular, 'messy' (for lack of a better word) playing.
>>
http://adale.org/Discographies/Feather.html
Thoughts on this Dolphy interview? It's crazy to hear his speaking voice, he has trouble articulating himself but I like what he says
>>
>>72205336
If you're talking about the charts, it's frankly shocking they went as far back as the 50s. PLus, doing a 40s chart by the year would be near impossible cause it's pre album era.
There really ought to be a good chart of early jazz comps though.
Some of the best/most essential stuff was done by: Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Art Tatum, Duke Ellington,Thelonious Monk, Mary Lou Williams, Coleman Hawkins, Lennie Tristano, Charles Mingus, Claude Thornhill and Stan Kenton.
>>
>>72205437
>http://adale.org/Discographies/Feather.html
when was that recorded?
>>
>>72205276
all me btw
>>
>>72205365
That's kind of his schtick anon. If you don't like two or three albums, you likely won't like the rest.
Monk's Dream
Brilliant Corners
At Townhall
Solo Monk
With Coltrane
Trio

Should give you a nice sampler and display some of the range of stuff he did, but I've never heard him play straight so if the dissonance and jagged rhythms aren't to your liking, you're unlikely to fall in love with him.
It's something that grew on me. I wasn't crazy about him when I first heard him either but I love him now.
>>
>>72205590
I have no idea, I can't find any information on it
>>
>>72205845
>http://adale.org/Discographies/Feather.html
It sounds like it's probably from '62 given his mention of the Eureka Brass Band and the fact they played D.C. that same year.
>>
>>72205687
Thanks anon. I dig a lot of dissonant stuff normally and I like some of his compositions but I just haven't been able to get into his playing. I'll give those records I haven't heard a listen.
>>
File: Cover.png (3MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.png
3MB, 1000x1000px
I've been scouring the 70s jazz-rock chart on RYM recently. What are some of your favorite albums from the genre?
>>
File: journey-in-satchidananda.jpg (403KB, 1600x1430px) Image search: [Google]
journey-in-satchidananda.jpg
403KB, 1600x1430px
Fuck yeah.

I've been listening to Alice Coltrane as of late.

Both Journey in Satchidananda and Ptah, the El Daoud.

Excellent albums. I recommend them to ANYONE. The first is very trippy and features a lot of hindu influences. Despite this it's not a gimmick, it's got some A+++ jazz composition. Give it a try!
>>
>>72207209
Alice is god tier, her later albums are cool if you're into ambient new age stuff. Check out Turiya Sings and Divine Songs
>>
>>72205182
Well, calling jazz "america's classical music" is in fact fucking retarded.
>>
sorry no offense guys but i dont think anyone in this thread knows very much about jazz
>>
>>72208498
Care to enlighten us then? I'm all ears.
>>
will be working "with" pic related in a few weeks, but it will be more of a folk bluegrass kind of thing with his wife it seems. still will be cool to hopefully meet him
>>
bump for you lads
>>
Honestly, it's kind of struck me that I may have finally outgrown 4chan. For all the time I spend here I realize I find interests are increasingly at large from the rest of the site and my posts are often derided or just downright ignored for not obeying the general status quo of accepted topics (mostly on /mu/, /his/, and /lit/).

I'm just bored with vapid memeposting and trolling and shitposting and stupid /pol/ shit in place of actual, normal discussions and conversations about things without getting derailed by extraneous shit. Discourse on the internet has really degenerated from the various forums I grew up frequenting. Even in the 7 years I've been here, board cultures have just become toxic and flooded with outside influence.

Of course, I don't know any good alternatives...

This is a good thread though. I hope we can continue them...

sorry for the rant/blog post.
>>
>>72205344
>been listening to it for a couple years now but know nothing about music theory, is everyone here trained?

Same. I took brief guitar and piano lessons but lost the ability to play due to peripheral neuropathy in my extremities. Never learned much theory, but can sightread okay.

Still, love jazz both on record and in live settings.
>>
Happy Easter, friends!
>>
>>72209955
I feel the same way but i still frequent 4chan in spite of it
For instance when i look at a /bleep/ thread i sigh because of how shallow and stupid it is, yet i participate in every thread and read every post.
>>
>>72210989
/bleep/ used to be great a few years back when it was a healthy balance of various genres of tunes, discussion, shares, and banter. Now it's just stupid tripfag infighting, stale "blemes", anime pictures, and a very narrow selection of tunes thread after thread.

It's mindlessly addictive. You can't get yourself out of the habit no matter how shit it gets.
>>
>>72210989
me too - only come to /mu/ to check if there's a jazz thread going or something else interesting. Usually there isn't.
>>
>>72209955
>>72210989
Honestly, when I migrated to /mu/ over from /b/ in late 2011, I knew nothing about music. Sure there was shitposting and memes and stuff, but board culture was way different. I'll be damned if the discussions weren't way better and sharethreads 1000x more active. I discovered so much music in those first couple years. Now, I'm sad to see the state it's turned into.

Everyone keeps saying /mu/ is still the best place on the internet to discuss music (and the highest trafficked), but surely that can't be true. This place is a complete shithole outside a few generals that have begun to wane in quality in the past year or so too.

Sad... I spent so much of my high school life on here developing a love of music, discussing it eagerly every single day.

Surely, there's another place out there to fill the void. I just want a place where I can discuss music without constant memes and shitposts or off-topic derailments.

So far, I'm trying out Steve Hoffman forums.
>>
Shame most message boards and forums have gone the way of old newsgroups. The bulk of internet "discussions" now takes place in large website comment sections or facebook and twitter. It's not conducive to meaningful or remotely engaging discourse at all. Only memes and base level comments that get voted to the top.
>>
>>72191754
>jazz aoty from clean feed
you wish
>>
I'm glad you're all here.

Anyway. Night all.
>>
>>72188256
I found John Mclaughlin's 'Extrapolation' cd at goodwill for a coupla bucks, probably my best find in recent years..it's not included on the charts..mebbe it shoudl :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPSPb1gdFc
>>
>>72211114
i spent time at SH forums..be prepared to have ppl DEMAND to know your setup
>>
>>72211371
Honestly, I prefer stuff like that to /mu/. Especially threads where people are able to distinguish between different mix/master jobs on various pressings of albums.

THAT's pretty neat in my opinion.
>>
I like Bitches Brew more than In A Silent Way, is that bad
>>
>>72211407
of course not
>>
>>72211342
Extrapolation is great - I really like John Surman's sax playing on it
>>
>>72211114
anyone active at Organissimo forums?

It seems reasonably active and jazz focused, but also pretty conservative and for very old people
>>
>>72211432
No. Only jazz forum I know about is allaboutjazz forums, but that's shut down now... and redirected to a facebook page ffs
>>
Currently ripping my jazz and other cd collection to my computer trying to restart my digital collection. Is streaming worth looking into you think? As a supplement for quick music on my phone?
>>
>>72211405
i agree, i guess i didn't like the condescending when it came to individuals stereo setups. & overall the atmosphere was very ...old
>>
>>72211488
streaming is great for jazz until the early 70's or so - pretty much all the classics are there and the convenience is wonderful. I've listened to so much more jazz classics after Streaming became a thing compared to buying albums, borrowing from libraries and downloading from Soulseek, Blogspot and torrents.
>>
>>72211521
I totally get that.

Not sure if 15 year olds spamming meme threads about "manlets" and "cucks" and Kendrick Lamar and "waifus" all day is better. I'd rather have old elitists who at least are knowledgeable.
>>
>>72200506
>you might like this
I mean I might like it if the video was available in my country
What's the name of the artist and song so I can find it on soulseek or something?
>>
>>72211532
this. Though streaming has it's limits, it's incredibly convenient.

However, don't be afraid to go into a record store and do some browsing. I've picked up what turned out to be some of my favorite albums just on a whim while riffling through the sections. There's really something to be said for that. And tangible, physical media is just cool in my book. Sometimes you just want to flip through the liner notes or go through the motions of cuing up, playing, and flipping a record you love.
>>
>>72211540
i know, & as i was typing i was thinking "how the hell could mu be better" probably just i know there will be complete stupidity, but anonymity has a benefit to not being 'stalked' into a confrontation over speakers or vinyl or fleetwod mac
>>
>>
>>72207295
grabbed. Thanks for the recs. I'm absolutely entranced by her harp.
>>
>>72211407
It's the more famous, critically acclaimed album. Why would you feel bad about that?
>>
>>72211616
True.

Somebody make new chan with stricter mods
>>
File: hirvonen.jpg (76KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hirvonen.jpg
76KB, 800x800px
bumpo with new release from Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAo4J0-Ynm4
>>
what are some good albums female with leaders?
>no singer or alice coltrane
>>
File: bley_social_studies.jpg (56KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
bley_social_studies.jpg
56KB, 500x499px
>>72213094
>>
File: 81NaQhhEpGL._SL1200_.jpg (319KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
81NaQhhEpGL._SL1200_.jpg
319KB, 1200x1200px
Chris Potter - The Dreamer is the Dream (2017)
>piano - David Virelles, bass - Joe Martin, drums - Marcus Gilmore, sax - Chris Potter
>ECM style jazz
http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/Yu2glG3x/file.html
https://clyp.it/r02oman5?token=a45d870fcf0a5a76cf4482f2e2ba890e
>>
>>72213094
>females
>good
>>
File: marylou.jpg (58KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
marylou.jpg
58KB, 500x492px
>>72213094
>>
File: matana.jpg (382KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
matana.jpg
382KB, 1500x1500px
>>72213094
>>
>>72213871
>no singers
>>
File: thompson_fields.jpg (284KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
thompson_fields.jpg
284KB, 1500x1500px
>>72213094
>>
can i have some futuristic anime fusion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwe0UmYwKiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbP7AIcbkw
>>
>>72213780
Thank you so much for this!
>>
>>72214366
Np mang! Hope you enjoy it. I've been listening to it again this morning and really loving it.
>>
>>72203997
This must be how whatever jazz fan was on the pulitzer prize committee last year convinced the others. Nice to see works like this getting recognised by art music critics. It really is a great album.
>>
>>72213780
This is really good holy shit.

I've been listening to a lot of Don Ellis lately; he does a great job writing stuff in odd time while still having interesting features to the piece other than the time signature. I'm a sucker for high-energy big band stuff a la Mingus Big Band et al., so Ellis' work really resonates with me.
>>
>>72213094

THIS >>72213866
>>
>>72196537
I'm kind of apprehensive to listen to this. Everyone involved has obviously done fantastic stuff and Miles' second is one of my favourite groups of all time, it's just that they're all so deep into fusion by the late 70s and I prefer the 60s stuff to the direction a lot of them went with fusion music.
They all played great early fusion, but by this time, a lot of them have/are starting to sell out and I don't really wanna hear Miles' second quintet trying to play commercialized vamp based jazz-rock.
>>
File: 41N292SX69L.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41N292SX69L.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
Last bump.
Thread can die happily after this. Been pretty exceptional so far.
>>
>>72211552
Pls someone who can view the vid answer
>>
>>72215872
Last Minute, from the album Bastion of Sanity by David Binney.
>>
>>72204421
does he have any album that he plays kora on? i've read somewhere he can play kora, it might me interesting.
>>
Any interesting interviews?
>>
>>72215048
Don't think it is fusion, no guitar or anything. It's just post-bop. Feel like the players have more freedom to do what they want away from Miles' leadership.
>>
>>72215910
Thank you
>>
>>72213340
That about sums up females in jazz that isn't vocal.
>>
File: shirley_scott_soul_shoutin.jpg (163KB, 800x793px) Image search: [Google]
shirley_scott_soul_shoutin.jpg
163KB, 800x793px
>>72213094
>>
>>72216887
I'll check that out thanks.
>>
>>72216631
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNsywQOW1I
>>
>>72188256
I know almost nothing about jazz, but every member of my family has that album on LP or CD - it's great.
>>
File: cover-nelson410.jpg (135KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
cover-nelson410.jpg
135KB, 410x410px
Any other albums with horn arrangements like this? Nelson or otherwise
>>
File: more_blues.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
more_blues.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>72219153
"more" of the same, you say?

pretty much all of Nelson's Impulse! stuff is larger groups with his arrangements (Sound Pieces is half small group, but great stuff there too)
>>
Recent get pt. 1
>>
File: 20170416_145502.jpg (2MB, 2022x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_145502.jpg
2MB, 2022x1440px
>>72220268
Whoop
>>
File: 20170416_145525.jpg (2MB, 2139x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_145525.jpg
2MB, 2139x1440px
Part 2
>>
>>72216031
i dont know honestly but he has about three or four of those things in his apartment.
>>
>>72214750
haha yeah man, threadgill is up there with duke and mingus for me as far as great american composers go.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170416-145531.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170416-145531.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
$1 cassette haul
>>
>>72220568
>>72220599
Do you have an RYM account?
>>
File: MI0000358471.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MI0000358471.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
I'm a bit new to jazz.
Any other albums like this that are pure chaos?
>>
>>72220887
nope.
>>
>>72203746
https://soundcloud.com/user-121450679
>>
Thoughts on John Zorn's Book of Angels collection thingy and John Zorn in general?
>>
I just heard a Don Ellis song in a car commercial. Can't exactly remember what it was but it's from pic related. not really relevant to anything but cool to hear Ellis in something like that
>>
>>72221538
The whole Book of Angels thing is a great idea, with some of the volumes definitely better than others. Really just depends on your taste though. And I've only heard maybe 10 of them anyway.

Other than that the only Zorn stuff I really like a lot is Masada.
>>
How do you even learn theory if you're a drummer?
>>
>>72222361
at the piano, just like everyone else
>>
>>72219463
Lol, perfect.
I'm intrigued to hear his larger stuff, but Imma check out More Blues and Sound Pieces first. The charm for me in a lot of BATAT is in how much he gets out of his sidemen. That sort of mid group setting lets him get in beautiful voicings and colours in while still letting his players have as much of a personal voice as they would in a small ensemble. He's a great writer, but it helps that he also recognises he's got great players.
>>
>>72222361
Invest in timpani and learn2harmony
>>
>>72189018
I like these lists, but I think the 2000s is definetly missing some Roy Hargrove. He's more well known then 90% of the people on that list and his album Earfood is unique in that it's probably the only album in the past 30 years to give birth to a new jazz standard that's regularly played at gigs (the song being Strausburg/St Denis)
>>
>>72223618
Agreed.
>>
So I like Larks' Tongues in Aspic era King Crimson as well as Mahavishnu Orchestra, but other than that my knowledge of the jazz world is extremely limited. Can anyone recommend me some artists/records to start getting into that style of jazz fusion?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUH3Gd9qAA

bump
>>
>>72226910
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Tony Williams - Emergency
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Joe Henderson - Multiple
Dave Holland - Prism
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Sun Ra - Lanquidity
Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Jaco Pastorius - s/t
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Larry Young - Lawrence of Newark
Chris Potter - Live at the Village Vanguard (Follow the Red Line)
Rudresh Mahanthappa - Gamak
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - S/t

Most of these guys have a good few albums worth trying. These are just my favourites. They all come from the jazz side of the fence too, but there is plenty of stuff worth checking out from the other side too.
>>
>>72228543
Thanks so much my man!
>>
How the fuck do i get into Louis Armstrong he has like 100 different comps by big labels
>>
>>72230703
Maybe these could be of assistance?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/where-do-i-start-with-louis-armstrong.206907/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jazz/comments/3auydk/best_place_to_start_with_louis_armstrong/?st=j1lo27qf&sh=33baa5ec

https://www.quora.com/Where-should-I-start-with-Louis-Armstrong
>>
>Hum Allah - Pharoah Sanders
Heard this on XM radio on my drive to work. I pulled over and was 10 min late just to listen to it. First time hearing it, impactful stuff
>>
>>72234970
What XM channel was it?
>>
>>72213094
anat cohen clarinetwork at the village vanguard

really swinging stuff got benny green and louis nash and she plays like crazy on the clarinet
>>
>>72235116
Probably 64
>>
so guys allan holdsworth just died... what's the consensus about him here?

never got into him because to me he makes to most vapid form of fusion but maybe he's a good guitarist idk
>>
>>72236895
Talented man
>>
File: r1qmhxhp3zpy.jpg (52KB, 719x601px) Image search: [Google]
r1qmhxhp3zpy.jpg
52KB, 719x601px
Is there a /mu/ guide to jazz for a person who is completely new to the entire genre? Closest I've come is Steely Dan, Chuck Mangione, and TPaB. Where should I start?
>>
>>72236942
Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are the most entry level traditional jazz records
>>
>>72236983
Thanks, listening to them now
>>
>>72236983
do you have any recommendations for less traditional, modern stuff?
>>
File: 1492031032036.jpg (1MB, 1536x2976px) Image search: [Google]
1492031032036.jpg
1MB, 1536x2976px
>>72236942
>>
>>72237259
Fusion section of >>72237272
>>
>>72237272
Exactly what I had in mind, thanks
>>
>>72236942
I liked a few albums on the italian label EGEA when i first started listening to jazz. Try "Coloriage" or "Come Una Volta"
>>
>>72230703
ella and louis
>>
File: IMG_20140801_225925.jpg (833KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140801_225925.jpg
833KB, 2592x1944px
>>
Please recommend me some Chinese or Korean jazz that isn't nu-jazz. I would like to expand my knowledge of the jazz music scene in these two countries and I hate nu-jazz. Thank you, my friends.
>>
>>72238139
>Please recommend me some Chinese or Korean jazz
How many other countries where jazz was actually a somewhat important cultural force have you gone through that you've arrived at China and Korea?
Not counting the unnatural love of Kenny G in China, they're not exactly leading players in the genre.
>>
File: 1486929134833.jpg (27KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1486929134833.jpg
27KB, 326x326px
>>72238652
I want a comfy niche and I have already expended all the japanese jazz in the archive
>>
>>72238703
Fuck off weeb, listen to music because it's good, not because the country that makes it also makes your favorite cartoons.
>>
>>72238898
Hey man, I'm not a weeb. I am studying Chinese and would like to know about the jazz scene there. Are you really against musical exploration?
现在我想听中国的爵士乐
>>
>>72238955
well, there's Youn Sun Nah but she's lived in France for over 20 years

here's a Korean flavored track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuxavTsQuo
>>
>>72238703
>I want a comfy niche
The best jazz music, in general isn't found in obscure local acts. >>72238955
That you're studying Chinese is a good excuse though. Hope you find something halfway decent.
>>
>>72238703
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=China%2C+South+Korea%2C+North+Korea&limit=none&countries=
As one would expect, there's like two pages between them and there's a lot of kpop-tier pop vocal jazz, but it looks like there are one or two interesting releases there.
>>
>>72239000
>>72239060
>>72239090
谢谢我的朋友
>>
>>72239090
plenty of Toshiko Akiyoshi who is only very technically Chinese having been born in China yes, but to Japanese emigrant parents, moved back to Japan at age 16 and made most of her recordings in the US

also as said Youn Sun Nah who is like half that list is more of a European artist by now

I really wouldn't use Rate Your Music as much of a resource to find international jazz
>>
Hello all,

Here's Sun Ra performing "My Favorite Things":
https://youtu.be/stij63jsUxc
>>
>>72239154
What would you use? I'm not aware of any other particularly reliable/centralised databases for world music.
>>
>>72239182
well, I don't know what would work well for these countries in general - look into well curated compilations, see if you can find record collector type blogs, check local artists performing at jazz festivals. that kind of stuff.
>>
>>72196894
the selections are almost identical to the top album charts for jazz sub genres on rateyourmusic
>>
>>72213094
She plays a mean bari sax.
>>
>>72240150
what do you think the participants used as a resource to find albums by year :D
>>
>>72198511
>are there any jazz flutists that vocalize while they play, but who actually vocalize notes different from the one they're playing?

anyone?
>>
>>72240202

what does it actually sound like if you do this?

if you hum a different note than you're playing to a sax you get a distorted Pharoah Sanders'y buzz, so maybe it's not a sensible technique because physics?

If it's a valid thing you can do on a flute, I'm sure Rahsaan Roland Kirk has done it at some point
>>
>>72240258
i have no idea if it's possible or what it would sound like! i'm not a player, so it might just be a really stupid question. thanks for the reply, will look into kirk tonight.
>>
File: cover.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>72221538
This was the first piece of his I heard. At first I found it irritating how they band presents a short melody/groove, plays it a few times and then drops and moves on without developing it. But once I got used to that, I enjoyed it on subsequent listens.

Next, I tried The Concealed (Esoteric Secrets and Hidden Traditions of the East), and that sounded pretty cool at first, but since all the songs use basically the same type of harmony, it got stale really quickly.

Finally, when I saw how prolific the man is, I gave up trying to keep up with his releases.
>>
Have the japanese even made good jazz? It sounds so generic whenever i hear something from there
>>
>>72230703
Get a complete set of the Hot Fives and Sevens, I think Columbia put a box set out, as well as JSP, and maybe some other reissue labels. It's pretty much all the same material with differences in things like noise removal/EQ.
>>
>>72241080
Masabumi Kikuchi is alright. He's very into the "electric Miles" approach to fusion, but he's got enough of an original personal style that I feel comfortable saying it's not a rip off. Not brilliant, but deffinitely worth hearing. He's a little too reliant on vamps to anchor pieces and timbre experimentation, but it's still pretty entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kPzaKaId4I&ab_channel=CharlesPercy
is nice, cause it's got a few different things going on, with the b section with the keys that kinda break things up, the cool horn arrangements and Masabumi's mad sounding synths.
>>
>>72194576
Live at the Plugged Nickel
>>
Any of you fellas catch Dave Holland (with Kevin Eubanks, Chris Potter, Eric Harland) at UC Davis? Great performance, the rhythmic fluidity was unreal.
>>
>>72194576
try Big Fun
>>
thoughts on THE quintet? (the charlie parker quintet)
>>
>>72241080
ryo fukui
>>
>>72242985
I used to listen to that record all the time but I haven't in maybe 10 years. Recently bought a copy of the Charlie Parker Omnibook so it'd be cool to go back to it with that in mind.
>>
>>72243022
i asked for non-generic sounding players
>>
>>72241080
They weren't even allowed to make jazz back when it was big in america, the government banned it there because they didn't want western influences in their culture.
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.