[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would music be different if Joy Division had toured America?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Joy_Division_promo_photo.jpg (25KB, 389x256px) Image search: [Google]
Joy_Division_promo_photo.jpg
25KB, 389x256px
How would music be different if Joy Division had toured America?
>>
Does Ian Curtis still kill himself in this or does he live?
>>
>>72180476
he lives
>>
No Wave never existed
>>
>>72180556
it was already a scene by the time JD released any music worth touring the US on
>>
>>72180450
we wouldnt have a meme shirt
>>
>>72180518

Okay then.

My best guess:

New Order doesn't form. At least, it doesn't form in the band we all know.

Curtis continues to take the band in a darker and darker direction. Eventually something breaks and someone leaves, then everyone.

Something which resembles New Order forms.
It's significantly sunnier, but it's not like it's ABBA or anything. Closer to Sparks.

Curtis, for having lack of a group, goes solo and beats Current 93 at being Current 93, becoming very influential. He tours with Reznor, and eventually dies due to a seizure circa 2004.
>>
>>72180694
Fantastic
>>
File: IanCurtisLyrics.jpg (102KB, 564x689px) Image search: [Google]
IanCurtisLyrics.jpg
102KB, 564x689px
Might have had an effect on the American goth/deathrock movement. I think it's possible they would have got reviews from American critics bringing them even more success. I doubt they would have become mainstream, but it would have raised their profile quite a bit. Also New Order wouldn't have happened, so whetehr joy division would have had as much of a dance influence to their music over time is questionable. The New Order album Technique wouldn't have been made, which had a big effect on the britpop movement.The electronic aspect of the baggy/manchester and britpop movement probably would have been different as a result. I bet Ian would have left Joy Division due to the stress or conflicting interests. He might have done an industrial project or whatever, but I have no idea what he would have done in the long run.
>>
>>72180694
10/10 accurate
>>
>>72180518
>No New Order.
Music is shit now.
>>
>>72180450
I don't think Joy Division touring America would have made as much of a difference as the fact that Ian didn't die. They were about as big in the US as they were in the UK at the time. Lots of press hype and Love Will Tear Us Apart was a minor hit.
>>
>>72181155
One of the problems though was that US fans had to rely on imports for JD albums because not a whole lot were released in the US. A successful US tour probably would have increased supply and demand as well. Ultimately you are probably right that it wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but they would have been even more popular.
>>
>>72180765

I mean a lot of the darkest stuff of the 80s was concentrated in England it seems to me. It would have been validating I suppose, but The Cure/Bauhaus/Echo and the Bunnymen were much more popular, and probably more influential to those bands.
>>
New Order wouldn't exist, so music would be worse.
>>
>>72180694
Good job
>>
>>72180694
>>72180765
Yeah agree with the notion Curtis would've continued in a more industrial direction after Joy Division dissolved; he would have joined Psychic TV, Current 93, Coil, Death in June and the rest of that UK post-industrial neofolk scene
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.