[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a more useless genre term than "post punk"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: pepethefrog.jpg (28KB, 975x600px) Image search: [Google]
pepethefrog.jpg
28KB, 975x600px
Is there a more useless genre term than "post punk"?
>>
>>72175504
Pop Rock
>>
>>72175504
Not really. It's a more wide exploration of punk music with heavy focus on the rhythm section and unusual guitar riffs.
>>
>>72175520
really? its a pretty straightforward, accurate description of the music
>>
It's punk after punk, "post punk". But to answer your question probably Alt Rock. Is it just what people call 90s rock?
>>
>>72175587
Alternative is the worst fucking tag. It can be anything from the Smiths to something like Weezer. Just too inconsistent.
>>
>>72175566
It's only really used to denote popular Rock music though. If I go on RYM and search it on the chart Penny Lane, When Doves Cry and Sweet Jane are all listed as it, despite them sounding very little alike. It's very rarely used to denote the sound of the record and only really suggests the success of the artist in creating it.
>>
>>72175546
>more wide exploration
Hence, useless
>>
post rock
world music
experimental
>>
tons of electronica genres

>tropical house
>deep happy hardcore
>gabba
>jungle
>intelligent dance music
>hard minimal techno
>electro-industrial
>deep hardstyle
>neurostep
>big room
>>
>>72175587
Alt Rock just meant rock music that the mainstream didn't notice. When the mainstream did start to notice shit changed and morphed with the added eyes.
Same thing happend to "Indie" music.
>>
>>72175546
>>72175587

But I'm just saying how could U2 and Joy Division be the same genre?
>>
>Metal subgenres that are all virtually indistinguishable like folk and pagan, pirate and viking
>Putting fucking -core at the end of everything like metalcore, deathcore, grindcore
>Adding on to that electronic stuff with ridiculously confusing labels like breakbeat, breakstep, breakbeat hardcore and breakcore

>>72175587
At least it meant something in the 80s. What I define "80's alternative" as is "doesn't sound like pitifully dated shite."
>>
it's the period after punk, it makes sense faggit
what doesn't make sense is its current use by revivalists since post punk was so varied with so many different sounds. there wasn't an overarching sound like some people think
>>
>>72175520
This, OP is retardsd
>>
There is no such thing as indie folk

Folk purists were too afraid of folk musicians becoming young again so they conjured up a new phrase to distinguish the "authentic" from "inauthentic" which has spiraled to such a sorry state that it's impossible to make a "normal folk" album unless your hair is grey.
>>
>>72176133
>so varied with so many different sounds
Hence why it's useless

see >>72176105
>>
>>72176292
Because early U2 wasn't very far off from most other post-punk bands.
>>
>>72176292
if you're looking for a specific era it makes sense and it is useful

it's the same with hardcore breakbeat or detroit techno, artists that fall in those genres vary a lot, but those genres signify a specific time
>>
>>72176324
OK but how does Vertigo fit in the same genre as Unknown Pleasures
>>
>>72175504
shoegaze.
used to reference maybe four bands playing in london circa 1988-1991 that were basically bands that came across as audio/visual nerds and used reverb to hide their poor playing ability. a derogatory term.

cut to 2013. blank banshee and xxyyxx are "shoegaze". shoegaze what? how?
>>
post punk is legit one of the best genres ever

punk rock, as far as like an angsty expression of anger and frustration, got suuuuper played out and commercialized super quickly. The sex pistols' success and appeal was literally so fucking fleeting because the industry bought them out so quickly and they signed on the dotted line while not really understanding what was happening until it was too late. Everyone was fucking sick of punk rock as soon as it started, so the entire fucking genre just fucking imploded and no one could figure out how to make it work until ian curtis came along and took the entire genre in such a fucking left field direction, making some of the most fiercley original music weve ever heard, making punk music that was, suprise, so subdued an minimalist that it feels like its about to tear apart, essentially the polar opposite of the LE MOHAWKS AND ANARCHY image that the sex pistols created but then subsequently ruined, and wow, it actually fucking worked. Like, really really worked.

Literally one of the coolest phenomenons to happen music wise in the entire 20th century. I mean at the end of the day it cant really compare to beatlemania, but beatlemania might not be replicated for centuries so w/e
>>
>>72176776
>LE MOHAWKS AND ANARCHY
DUDE DEPRESSION LOL BOUTTA KMS
Look, I can do it too.
>>
>>72176552
who tf calls blank banshee and xxyyxx shoegaze
>>
indie rock is the most useless genre of them all
>>
>>72177017
this

and

>>72177017
this
>>
'op is not a faggot'
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.