[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red House Painters or Sun Kil Moon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: markfence.jpg (149KB, 650x280px) Image search: [Google]
markfence.jpg
149KB, 650x280px
Red House Painters or Sun Kil Moon?

I see that there are a lot of fans of both bands but when it comes down to it if you had to pick a favorite what would it be? Sure Mark has gone to say that the two bands are basically the same thing but that quickly changed after the first Sun Kil Moon album in my opinion.

https://strawpoll.com/5f63y1w
>>
there's no meaningful difference in the way that you're trying to suggest that there is. you're essentially asking whether we prefer his earlier work or his later work, and I personally think that his last few SKM albums -- Benji, Universal Themes, and Common as Light... are amongst the best of all time.
>>
RHP by far
>>
>>72167937
Well not necessarily. Both bands have different members. So you know, it would for example be fair to ask whether or not one likes Paul McCartney's solo material or his songs with the Beatles. In that same way I think it's fair to ask whether one prefers Red House Painters or Sun Kil Moon, seeing as the Red House Painters music was not entirely created by Mark same goes for Sun Kil Moon.
>>
Mark's best album is Benji, followed by RPH s/t
>>
Red House Painters

Shame he had to use the lame name on the cool band and the cool name on the lame band.
>>
>>72168174
You mean Rollercoaster right? Rollercoaster and Benji are definitely both great. It's a shame that Rollercoaster has like 4 or 5 songs that I don't care for throughout the album so it's not a 10/10 listen for me though the songs that I like I think are great. The ones that don't do anything for me are
>Down
>Funhouse
>Take Me Out
>Fireflies
>Mother
If y'all love these songs sorry they're weak to me and drag the great songs down.
>>72168220
lol I think they're both good names for good bands
>>
I could just never get into RHP, even as an otherwise big fan of slowcore and depressing shit. Not sure why..
For that reason I'd pick SKM. Unpopular opinion is that April is their best album and all of his post-Benji material is emperor's new clothes syndrome.
>>
I listened to Benji for the first time last night, it was alright but it didn't do too much for me.
Sure the lyrics were soul crushing at times.
But more often than not I felt that melodies and chords were way to plain. I really liked Carissa, the guitars were beautiful and somber.
On the rest of the album though I found myself uninterested in the instrumentation, which is a big deal for me.
Should I check out his other work or is it just more of the same?
>>
>>72168765
Common as light is a bit more bold with its instrumentation. But it's two hours long.
>>
>>72168276
actually I meant down colorful hill, don't know why I said s/t
>>
both shit
>>
>>72168817
Alright, been meaning to check that album out too, might have a listen tonight. Thanks!
>>
>>72167793
Down Colorfull Hill
Roller coaster
Ghosts of the Great Higway
Ocean Beach
Benji
Bridge
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.