[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10 reasons why your band never gets credit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 1297945016102_ORIGINAL.jpg (74KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
1297945016102_ORIGINAL.jpg
74KB, 650x433px
1. Because your music sucks
2. Because your music sucks
3. Because your music sucks
4. Because your music sucks
5. Because your music sucks
6. Because your music sucks
7. Because your music sucks
8. Because your music sucks
9. Because your music sucks
10.Because your music sucks
>>
>music is meritocracy

pfffffffffffft yeah sure man
>>
>>72164633
>your music sucks because I've never heard of it
stop
>>
>>72164633

Shit music does benefit from a big marketing campaign but you can't say some relatively unknown band is the best anything. Your personal favorite, sure.
>>
>Because your music sucks
wouldn't that make you top 40 material?
>>
>>72164719
>>your music sucks because I've never heard of it
Exactly, otherwise it already would have been on the radio/youtube.
Modern bands/musicians totally miss the very basic conception of what kind of music/song can get them reccord deals, and very often they miss good taste too, saying shit about mainstream/pop scene. How good should the music be? As good as the hits from any genre, no mediocre boring stuff, that even you don't like a much as the music you always loved. How does your music suppose to interest anyone if it's not interesting to you?
I heard tons of new bands on KEXP, sc, youtube, bandcamp, live, but I would never pay them a dollar, because they're not trying to make music that made them and others love music, the kind of music that got popular and is admired by people all over the world, even they don't understand language and are of different culture. Is it possible to make this kind of music that will make people feel as the hear it? Yes, all you need is seven keys, good taste and true love for the music, talent or playing skills are not important.
>>
>>72164779
It will, only if you were in top 5 before.
>>
This desu. If your music is good it will pick up. If people aren't listening it's probably boring
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>72164633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBEV5IjwR5g
>>
>>72164747
>campaign but you can't say some relatively unknown band is the best anything. Your
Time will tell. . .
>>
>>72164633
David Albarn
Jarvis Cocker
Noel Gallagher
Tate Modern
theguardian
the company that bought out the NME
etc.etc.
BBC Radio 1 1xtra BBC Radio 1 introducing BBC Radio Asian Network Radio 2 3 4 6 and the ones I missed
$25,000 for the court case
burn down the RA
>>
>>72166661
ohhh
>>
Most of the music I do here on places like SoundCloud and Bandcamp does have many flaws and is often derivative, but I remember also that this guy was ignored for two decades

https://youtu.be/obOWSCmzEAY
>>
>>72164676
>>music is meritocracy
It still is, especially today, when only talent matters. People say ''oh you gotta be at the right place at the right time'' to make it, claiming their stuff is so great and yet so underrated, as a result it appears to be plain boring.
>>
>>72168005
Refute the example given within the first 2 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPVkNVbkIUQ
>>
>>72168005
There's tons of great stuff that gets totally ignored, generally because people live in a shitty place without much going on and no good connections, or they're not willing to bust their asses to promote. All the best stuff I've found on bandcamp, etc. gets virtually no attention.
>>
>>72169131
The point is to write quality music, heavy metal guys in that video have nothing to do with music in the sense of public product, not because the riffs are too heavy for large audience, it's because they lack songwriting skills, strong powerfull melody, driving rythm can be played on any instument and still be super catchy and memorable, and enjoyable too, none of them have it. The rest of the video doesn't make sence at all.
>>
>>72169725
>it's because they lack songwriting skills, strong powerfull melody
weak bait
>>
>>72169725
catchy isn't the definition of good music, genius
>>
>>72169225
Labels are constantly in need of new music to promote, it's their business, luckily they have skilled people in their stuff sending 99.99% of music they receive, straight into the trash bin, coz it sucks, even claimed to be >great stuff.
It would be really interesting to hear some of the bands you know know, if you don't mind.
>>
>>72170028
>o hear some of the bands you know know, if you
different homosexual. One album then dropped syndrome, you know it's out there
>>
>>72170028
The thing is, there are too many worthwhile artists to bother seriously promoting them all, and it's a waste of time if the artist is primarily focused on composing/recording rather than touring and promoting themselves. Labels will give far more attention to people they meet personally or know through friends/connections. Unsolicited demos get very little attention no matter how good they are. That's the opposite of meritocracy.

>It would be really interesting to hear some of the bands you know know, if you don't mind.

https://prescott.bandcamp.com/releases
https://trobecovekrusnepeci.bandcamp.com/
https://kojiroumezaki.bandcamp.com/

Granted it's unfair to characterize these as totally unsuccessful, since bandcamp isn't their only outlet, but I still think they should get way more attention than they do.
>>
File: chelsea-wolfe-2015.jpg (62KB, 484x665px) Image search: [Google]
chelsea-wolfe-2015.jpg
62KB, 484x665px
>>72170280
>but I still think they should get way more attention than they do
Yeah, I'm a band camp sceptic as you know. But, licenses for self starting DJs to broadcast the acts would help. I tried to educate Spotify on this but they were not interested.
>>
>>72170255
>One album then dropped syndrome, you know it's out there
God, there are a lot of those. Or bands that peaked briefly but had their best material ignored.

There were also a lot of also-ran bands that were unsuccessful despite being way better than most of their peers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCS5H4fwLLQ
I mean the video sucks but this is an amazingly well written song...

Really I think most of the best music falls into one of these categories.
>>
File: rogan-hdnet1.jpg (59KB, 723x422px) Image search: [Google]
rogan-hdnet1.jpg
59KB, 723x422px
>>72170391
>t music falls into one of these catego
Yeah, I mean a lot of it you can't even buy anymore
>>
>>72170255
>>72170280
>>72170341
>>72170391
Absolute fucking rubbish.
Chelsea? Yeah, good luck pushing that shit on concerts while having 0.3% of total reccord sell
>>
>>72171019
>I'm confusing my shit taste with an objective definition of quality

grow up
>>
Usually when I find a small little band on bandcamp that actually has good music, they find success fairly soon.

Often I will see someone post
>dae these guise underrated??

but in reality they are shit, never achieve success, and that faggot was probably shilling their own music anyways.

But I guess nothing I just said matters since music is subjective right guys :^)
>>
>>72171152
>Usually when I find a small little band on bandcamp that actually has good music, they find success fairly soon.
Consider how you found them. Probably you didn't just happen upon them by browsing tags or whatever. What attracted you to it probably attracted other people too. Quality doesn't automatically attract attention by itself. That's why marketing is necessary to begin with.
>>
File: Maverakis-Emanual-lab.jpg (20KB, 300x231px) Image search: [Google]
Maverakis-Emanual-lab.jpg
20KB, 300x231px
>>72171019
>>72171078
>>72171152
>>72171382
I don't think bandcamp is good for a bands career
>>
>>72171470
Anymore I think it's actually kind of the best approach. In terms of what's on offer, I like it better than any of the other online stores or streaming services. It doesn't have any amateur/noob stigma since it's used by established, successful people too. It just doesn't do any promotion for you.
>>
>>72171570
>established, successful peopl
Yes, but I don't trust the business model
>>
>>72171019
>g rubbish.
>Chelsea? Yeah, good luck pushing that shit on concerts while having 0.3% of total reccord
Huh?
>>
hey guys, nobody listens to our music, or actually gives a shit in general, but lets make tshirts and music videos instead of yuh know, recording an album. That'll really bring em in!
>>
>>72171711
Why? It's a better interface than any other online store that I can think of, and the artist keeps more money. My only complaint is that there's not really anything built in that funnels traffic in your direction (as in recommended videos on youtube, etc.). But that's not really the point of the site anyway.

Name something better.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (7KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
7KB, 260x194px
>>72171767
>ake tshirts and music videos instead of yuh know, recording an album. That'll really bring em in!
It may just do until an album can be afforded.
>>
>>72171873
>funnels traffic
>video recommendations
>name something better
YouTube
>>
>>72171873
>Name something better.
I dunno, I've just got this feeling about Soundvloud / youtube / bandcamp that they are best avoided
>>
>>72172132
All three are useles if you are an unknown artist. At least YouTube makes a tiny effort to promote you through video recommendations.

Bandcamp is a giant toilet/file depository. That's all.
>>
>playing piano in common room
>some girl i don't know walks in and tells me I sound really good

did she mean it?
does she want my cock?
w-w-will i make it bros?
>>
>>72165248
>Exactly, otherwise it already would have been on the radio/youtube.
See >>72164719
>Modern bands/musicians totally miss the very basic conception of what kind of music/song can get them reccord deals
Maybe because we don't want a record deal and compromise our art?
>>
>>72172123
Yeah but you can't make any money on youtube. It's literally like $1 for 1000 hits.

The best thing I can figure is to use youtube videos for clickbait in some manner, and then try to direct the traffic to bandcamp. But it's hard to make that work.

>>72172132
Based on what? I don't think you have an argument here.
>>
>>72172238
No you probably suck dude she just wants to suck you off.
>>
>>72172277
>n what? I don't think you have an argument he
I can collate one, but not for the sake of spite
>>
>>72172238
Getting those kinds of compliments is basically trivial and means nothing. Just ignore it.
>>
>>72171759
>>performing to 20-30 in some shitty bar
>le tour
r.i.p.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgwcWia5Wqc
>>
>>72172276
Record labels are kinda obsolete anymore anyway. Depending on what you're doing you can generally get good enough results in a home studio. So providing an advance for studio time isn't necessary. Ultimately all they're doing is promoting and curating the content. There are other ways to do that if you're clever enough.
>>
>>72172301
No, no, no....not this way with an artistic girl...woo her, make her heart flutter, make passionate love to her...do it like the French!
>>
>>72164633
Yeah. I love how people talk about how "unfair" it is to get big in the music industry but honestly it simply boils down to whether your music is good or not. Have you ever heard an artist who made amazing music that did not find success one way or another?
>>
>>72172770
>Have you ever heard an artist who made amazing music that did not find success one way or another?
Yes. And also plenty who found success despite mediocre or uninteresting music. Imagining that this is a meritocracy is extraordinarily naive.
>>
>>72172707
>ng is promoting and curating the content. There
True.
>>
>>72172770
>nd curating th
>>72172908
>ow "unfair" it is t

Did he pay to perform that cover?
>>
>>72172840
>Yes.
This can only mean you have poor taste in music, unfortunately, no offence.
>>
>>72172982
On the contrary, pleb...
>>
>>72172964
>Did he pay to perform that cover?
probably not but to publish it he did.
>>
>>72172840
For instance?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.