[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There are 2 main camps of music appreciation today, each camp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Consider the following.jpg (51KB, 639x855px) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
51KB, 639x855px
There are 2 main camps of music appreciation today, each camp of music represents a hemisphere of the brain.

You have progressive music lovers (left brain) who tend to favor complexity over emotion. They favor technical prowess over melody. Bands like Rush, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Jaco Pastorius, Yingve Malmsteen, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, 'progressive rock', 'progressive jazz', or 'new age' or 'opera rock', 'neo classical', etc. The "emotion" you get when listening to it is generally "Wow, thats really hard to play, I wish I could play that" but not much else. So the progressive music tends to walk a logical path and attracts those types of people that appreciate the "show off" emotion.

The other type of music lover is the typical right brain music lover. They favor emotion over logic. They love a good melody, a good hook , a good rhyme. The words dont make sense? so what, even better! They might like pop music and they might like Pink Floyd. They might like country music. They might like rock n roll. This is the bulk of music lovers today. Love songs speak to most of us. Where as the progressive music fans find love songs boring, like a sociopath would.

tl;dr - only autists and sociopaths (jews) like progressive music.
>>
>>72137609
What if I like both?
>>
>>72137609
>The "emotion" you get when listening to it is generally "Wow, thats really hard to play, I wish I could play that" but not much else.
You know nothing.
>>
>>72137609
Flat out wrong. I'm quite sure there is a huge camp that appreciates complexity and technicality but thinks it should go hand-in-hand with trying to express beauty in an emotionally comprehensive way, while despising the idea of "complexity for complexity's sake and uniqueness purely for novelty". Skill is a powerful tool that you can either use to create something spectacular and moving or slap people across the face with as if it's a huge floppy dick you can't get over.
>>
>>72137847

RUSH wrote & recorded a fucking song ABOUT THE LEFT BRAIN (HEMISPHERES)! Only a progressive rock band would contain lyrics like this. So analytical, so medical, so precise. Weak metaphors, weak illusion.

I can only listen to Rush's first album (self titled) where they had their original drummer, John Rutsey. They tried to sound like Led Zeppelin and all 8 songs on that album I can listen to b/c its not prog rock, its normal music. I probably listen to their 1st album a few times a year.

But everything with Neil Peart is almost unlistenable to me. The lyrics make me cringe often with their high level of vocabulary and low level of imagination. Its as if someone with an actual PhD tried to write all their lyrics for all their songs, whoops, thats right, Neil Peart has a PhD and writes all their lyrics to all their songs. Then when its being sung by a high-pitched hooknose gypsy kike with singing keyboard feet, it all becomes too much.
>>
>Implying Jews (Christian) want progress
>>
>>72137872
>I personally dislike one prog rock band so all progressive music must be objectively shit
>>
>>72137872
What does the ethnicity of musicians and their physical appearance have to do with the music their music? All right, you don't like anything that's going to blow your mind too much and there are millions of people who have the same mentality. That's why the disproportionately high percentage of jazz listeners are also musicians. I'm not claiming that you have to be a musician to enjoy any genre of music though. But I guess you take everything posted here a little too seriously and dismiss any music which favors substance over style as wankery.
>>
>>72137872
You obviously have soop allme legitimate views on the subject so why not dr those layers of irony and shitposting and have a genuine conversation? Like what do you get out of a thread that's not going to past a few back and forth responses of you and a few other anons calling each other retards?
>>
>>72137921
I didnt read anything you posted you narcissistic cocksucking arrogant faggot. No one cares what you think.
>>
you'd have to be really stupid to take this bait
>>
>>72137964
You have misread and misrepresented everything said here (like an autist would). No one wants to enact the labor to set you right. Also youre the only one "fighting" here if you read back. Youre an asshole and you dont even know it yet. And I wouldnt worry too much about it, b/c no one is reading your posts anyways.
>>
>>72137966
>>72137979
He's just shitposting and reply baiting. Don't waste your time on this thread anymore.
>>
>>72137979
Which posts do you think were mine? I wasn't aware I had a tripcode on.
>>
>>72138021
>>72138020
>>
>>72137872
Try listening to a band that isn't shit.
>>
>>72138121
My examples are not the best but my point still stands that there exists right brain and left brain music. And the lyrics mostly define what style of music that is.

So I wasnt treating anyone as a representative of anything. I listed bands as examples to back up my points and then someone w/ Autism and bi-polar disorders magnified and twisted what was said so they could have a fight with themselves.
>>
good to know i am both hemisphere patrician
>>
>>72138177
we all have a whole brain, not just you. Youre not special. Youre just like everyone else, plain and boring and youre going to die one day, so get over it.
>>
This is probably the worst thread on /mu/ right now.
>>
>>72138188
i didnt say i was special i said i was patrician, and the implication was on listening to types of music that appeal both and being able to enjoy to different music that stymulates different parts and not being one faced idiot. go watch rick and morty you utter pleb.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 212x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 212x159px
>>72138188
>>
>>72138315
>thumbnail of a gif

you retarded faggot
>>
i just like music
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.