[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 'rules'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I have some general rules for a song being listenable. It must have the following
-at least 4 instruments or noises playing throughout the song. Which is why I can't stand some artists in techno who lazily do 3 and think adding a ton of reverb will get the job done. Sometimes you can have certain effects to count as a fourth "Part" but it needs to be reallllly well done.
-The song must have changing parts throughout at maximum 30 seconds per part, switch it up! (as opposed to the same 4 bars... for the ENTIRE SONG) It needs either that or the typical pop formula where you do one part for 30, go to another, then switch back.
-It must demonstrate "Width"
(which is stereo acoustics)
Artists use this for a variety of reasons on some parts because it can separate significant parts that would otherwise sound shrill when clashing with the highs of a track.
-It must have a live element. Singing, or a sample, or a live instrument, or something to give it that analog warmth.
...What are yours mu?
>>
If it has a female vocalist it better have killer instrumentals, is my only rule

Blondie, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, Ladytron Joni Mitchell, and Bjork all satisfy. There are very few others that come to mind.

Other than that I can't find my unifying threads in the music I listen to. Almost none of it has whiny male vocals is one other thing.
>>
>>72125978
...so I bet you hate oasis then?
>>
>>72125936
these are pretty good rules, although they can be broken

i would add that the singer has to be tough or mysterious-- it's feeble music otherwise. a lot of indie pop is basically background music because of how lame the singing is
>>
>>72125936
man i really hope there aren't people out there like this.

by your estimation some of the greatest songwriters of all time are "unlistenable"

not all electronic music is 'techno' but i think im being trolled regardless
>>
I used to listen exclusively to music without vocals and instantly disregard anything with vocals. Lol.
>>
>>72126068
There are good artists who are just singer songwriters... but you know, most of them for their albums I think use this formula... but go on, redpill me on it: who's an artist who goes against all of this?... and if you say merzbow...
>>
>>72125936
you can't play that score on the violin
am I being trolled?
>>
>>72126004
have never heard
>>
>first rule eliminates all solo piano music
disregarded
>>
>>72126127
Neil Young and Robbie Basho have a lot of solo guitar stuff. All of John Fahey's discog is single instrument no vocals. All good stuff
>>
>>72126374
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJKpUH2kJQg

>>72126336
I just liked the image, it went good with the post...
>>
>>72126411
I could listen to this
>>
>>72126401
(Listens to blue crystal fire)
O.k. screw the rules...
In my defense though he's playing chords which could count as multiple layers... but yeah basically you win...
>>
>>72126127
how about bob dylan and elton john
or nick drake or john fahey

merzbow sucks
>>
>>72126527
glad to hear, it's a great song off a killer album
>>
>>72126544
Yes, you win...
at least we can agree merzbow sucks...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.