[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

J. Geils Dead at 71

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 800px-JGeilsPerforming.jpg (107KB, 800x937px) Image search: [Google]
800px-JGeilsPerforming.jpg
107KB, 800x937px
Rip
http://pitchfork.com/news/72810-j-geils-leader-of-the-j-geils-band-dead-at-71/
>>
File: Polnareff.jpg (44KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Polnareff.jpg
44KB, 1280x720px
Finally, my sister is avenged!
>>
literally who
fag from some shitty 80s pop group
who cares
>>
Fuck 2016
>>
I guess his blood ran cold
>>
>tfw I lived in the same town as him
He was a dick, just not brutalize little french girl levels of dickishness
>>
File: fullbody pepe.png (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fullbody pepe.png
13KB, 400x400px
>>72114570
>>
>>72114524
>hurrrr

the post
>>
hahahaha YES haha HE DIED!!
>>
>>72115196

Thanks for thefting my thread, jpg and all, fag
>>
>>72114525
And his memory has just been sold!

NA NA NANANANAH...............
>>
>>72113913
Literally who.
>>
80s crack pop
>>
damn
>>
>>72113913

Centerfold is a top 50 80's song.

FFFFFFF
>>
File: Juice.jpg (75KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
Juice.jpg
75KB, 500x550px
>>72114570
KEK
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
The J. Geils Band [Atlantic, 1970]

I find this gritty Jewish r&b band from Boston fun but somewhat retrogressive, which is admittedly the way I once felt about Creedence. Side two pops out of the box with covers from Otis Rush and the Contours and then slows down in style with two originals that deserve to get covered back. But the vocals don't do much for John Lee Hooker (no surprise) and the two instrumentals hobble the album's build (also no surprise, since great r&b instrumentals are almost as hard to come by as great white blues singers). B+

The Morning After [Atlantic, 1971]

Tight, funky, and what else is new? Well, three good songs: "Looking for a Love," "The Usual Place," and (especially) "So Sharp." All of which are old. B-

Bloodshot [Atlantic, 1973]

Never has the mass audience blunted a group's fine points so quickly. Tight arrangements? They boogie endlessly through riffs they were playing three years ago. Low-profile funk? Peter Wolf now shows off every emotional inadequacy of his phony growl. Resourceful material? The borrowed songs are almost as bad as the originals. Humor? Their idea of a funny is to rhyme"shiny" and "heinie." I hope they know where to shine this one. C+

Ladies Invited [Atlantic, 1973]

So much better than Bloodshot that for a while I thought it was something special, and in a way it is--an r&b album that includes a song about wind chimes. Would they were all as tuneful. Still, a lot of the ersatz-funk macho has disappeared from the lyrics, Peter Wolf's singing has picked up several layers of sweetness and nuance, and a couple of times they even try a harmony-group move. Inspirational Title: "The Lady Makes Demands." B
>>
Nightmares . . . and Other Tales from the Vinyl Jungle [Atlantic, 1974]

Sure "Must of Got Lost" sounds great on the radio. But the rest of this is more self-imitation--two shuffles, one diddy-bop, and a laugh to the bank backwards from Ladies Invited. C+

Sanctuary [EMI America, 1978]

I like the tender fatalism of "One Last Kiss" and the demented abstractions of "Sanctuary," but if they really want to be the American Stones they have to do something equally good every track. Mick Jagger would also be useful. B-

Best of the J. Geils Band [Atlantic, 1979]

Here's where we catch up with their good moments, right? Wrong. Between the three cuts from Bloodshot, where they announced their arena-rock proclivities, and the two from Blow Your Face Out, where they reified them, "Musta Got Lost" is as well-named as ever. B-

Love Stinks [EMI America, 1980]

So it's broad--nothing wrong with broad. Just ask the uproarious single and title tune. But really, the rest is more overbearing white r&b--Seth Justman's organ blams, not to mention his furbelows on the endless-at-3:35 "Desire," are the work of a man who thinks "No Anchovies, Please" is funny. C+

Freeze-Frame [EMI America, 1981]

For me, their best since Monkey Island if not the debut divides neatly into three groups of three: slick get-me-off trash (hit single plus two music-as-escape songs), slick get-'em-off trash (opener, closer, and "Angel in Blue," a whore with a heart of brass that I'm just a sucker for), and slick get-offa-me trash (two throwaways at the end of side one plus "River Blindness," a more pretentious try at "Monkey Island," that album's sole bumout). If you're discovering the great audience these days it might even change your life for a month. But I guarantee you it didn't change the band's. B+
>>
literally who

literally never heard of him
>>
Freeze Frame was one of the first vinyl records I got (just from finding in a thrift store dollar bin). Probably only listened maybe once and never again.
>>
>>72116675
embarrassing
>>
>>72116675
>underage detected
Everyone knows Centerfold, faggot. Where the fuck have you been?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.