[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Alice in Chains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Alice_in_Chains_Jar_of_Flies.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Alice_in_Chains_Jar_of_Flies.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
What does /mu/ think of Alice in Chains?
>>
>>72087320
by far the best of the big grunge bands

jar of flies, dirt and sap are fuckin' amazing and i really like facelift too

the s/t is fascinating but very wearing to listen to, i do like a few songs a lot though
>>
Cantrell is GOAT guitarist
>>
>>72087394
>>72087413
this. i even enjoy the reunion album though.
>>
AAAAAH
>>
>>72087320
Oh hell yeah, they don't even feel like a grunge band it feels more like Metal I mean they even toured with metal bands alot.
>>
Jar of Flies is an absolutely incredible album. Their other stuff is alright, Dirt being the best non JoF album, but for JoF alone I love them
>>
>>72088019
well yea, grunge isn't even a genre, it's just a lazy term for any rock band playing minor chords and coming from seattle around that time

Nirvana were a pop/punk band, AIC were a heavy metal band, soundgarden, PJ and STP were just hard rock. Mudhoney were straight up punk, Melvins were sludge metal, etc.
>>
>>72087394
S/T is probably my favorite AIC record. (Jar of Flies is technically an EP) But anyways, yeah, the album is extremely dark and depressing. Also a bit weird. You can tell Layne was in free-fall mode during the recording. It's an album that is really only reserved for cloudy, rainy days.
>>
File: die.jpg (8KB, 168x216px) Image search: [Google]
die.jpg
8KB, 168x216px
>>72088462
>Nirvana were a pop/punk band
>>
>>72089215
How are songs like Drain You, Territorial Pissings or Lounge Act NOT Pop-Punk?
>>
>>72089215
actually form arguments instead of posting meme images

certainly they ventured into noise rock at times on in utero and had a couple of sludge influenced tunes on bleach, but their most widely renowned songs are essentially very poppy crossover punk songs

just because the term 'pop punk' has become a dirty word attached to bands like green day and paramore doesn't mean it isn't applicable for good music too. actually listen to and analyze the sounds before you try to describe them, instead of being a reactionary musical bigot
>>
Love 'em!
Dirt is GOAT!
>>
>>72089257
There's definitely hints of it. They were very influenced by Punk and Kurt Cobain could write a hell of a Pop song.

But Pop-Punk is shit like Green Day and Blink-182 and their millions of copycat bands. It's a distinct sound and overall Nirvana doesn't fit it at all. Certainly not the majority of Bleach or In Utero. Even stuff from Nevermind like Come As You Are, Polly, Lithium or Something In the Way doesn't come close to a Pop Punk sound.

I agree with the point that all the Grunge bands can be put in separate genres, but I would simply classify Nirvana as Alternative Rock. Certainly not Pop-Punk.
>>
>>72089326
no-one has a problem with tagging the descendents or buzzcocks as pop punk and they sound nothing like the late 90s/ 00s wave

i see no problem with describing a band influenced primarily by pop and punk as a pop punk band. alternative rock is a lot vaguer but still at least valid. grunge however is not a genre tag at all as previously discussed, the only thing most of those bands had in common was their location and their penchant for minor chords
>>
>>72089297
>actually form arguments instead of posting meme images

Nobody needs to argue that Nirvana isn't a PopPunk band m8. That's just a genuine reaction to such a stupid statement.
>>
>>72089387
>no-one has a problem with tagging the descendents or buzzcocks as pop punk

Just because a band has Pop influences and Punk influences doesn't make them "Pop-Punk". That's a specific niche genre referring to bands from the 90s and 00s.

You can definitely use the terms Pop and Punk to describe Nirvana but they're not a "Pop-Punk" band.
>>
>>72087320
Great band. Although I can't rank them as better or worse than the other great Grunge bands.
>>72088462
That's like saying Hair/Glam Metal isn't a genre. It's just a lazy term for any rock band originated or playing in the LA scene during the late 80's wearing makeup, big hair and writing happy songs and a power ballad about fucking and partying.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.