[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you feel even though Music is one of the oldest art forms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2674.jpg (140KB, 504x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2674.jpg
140KB, 504x640px
Do you feel even though Music is one of the oldest art forms ever conceived. It's not taken in depth or analyzed as seriously as Paintings, Sculptures, Literature, or even Film?
>>
>>72069865
Watch me whip...
Watch me nay nay...
>>
>>72070139
O-Ok.
>>
Maybe, but that's because it is an abstract art form and you need specialized knowledge to analyze it.
>>
I think music's much more difficult to talk about. You need pretty good music theory knowledge is really talk about what makes music good beyond just: I like how that sounds. Not to downplay how complex literature and film is but a lot of that is story telling which is pretty easy to get your head round. Of course there's word choice, shot framing all the kind of stuff. But an average person can talk about what makes a film one of their favourite by talking about the story and characters. To a lesser degree with painting and sculptures. Of course it's complex as fuck but you can still explain why you like a piece of visual art (apart from the modern/impressionist all that kind of stuff) by talking about what it's portraying, use of colour and technique etc.

But if you ask an average person to explain why they like their favourite album or song. They can't really do it to the same degree they can with other forms of art. I have a bit of musical knowledge but even I can't really. I think music looks way more impenetrable than other forms of art. I also think that music is something that falls to the wayside a bit. You really have to put 100% into reading a book or studying a painting. But you can passively listen to a song so I don't think many people really concentrate on why they like it. Of course jazz and especially classical, and more and more with rock, still gets real analytical critiquing and praise. But I think it's just so much more difficult to explain what makes music good. Hell even a lot of musicians can't really.
>>
>>72071000
Yeah I agree, also with music you can't set rules on what sounds good. A lot of albums have no set rhythms cord progression and just throw walls of sound and you, and people still like them. It's way too subjective to ever be discussed in a scientific way, which is why I think music critics (ie pitchfork, fantano) are just useless, words cannot explain how well you will like an album, as you can with a book critic decide if a book ponders to your tastes.
>>
>>72071000
This is a good answer, music is just a lot more physically abstract than other forms of art, talking about it is much harder.
>>
Yes, because music is a superficial interest. Literally everyone listens to music. If you're asked what your hobbies are and you say "listening to music" people are going to look at you weird as if you said "eating food." Of course audiophiles and foodies are both a thing, but most people don't respect them as hobbies.
>>
>>72071179
Yeah probably one of my favourite things about music is how varied and different it can be. It's why I like to keep my tastes as wide open as possible so I can take everything in.

But I think critics have their place. You can get a general idea of if you're going to like an album based off reviews.
>>
The problem with music is it's too good. As long as the performers are playing in time it's really hard to really dislike something more than meh its alright, not gonna listen to it, but its not like I hate this shit. You watch a film like Boss Baby you hate it. I don't feel that way with music, even Drake. Not saying its impossible to judge music quality, its just like its the hot girl of the arts. A hot girl doesn't get taken seriosuly but everyone else wants to get with her --theater,film,dance especially.

UItimately the hot girl is the best
>>
>>72071257
Just because you don't take music seriously doesn't mean others don't
>>
>>72071313
I disagree. Music can be terrible. Listen to something like Brokencyde. It's just painfully bad.
>>
>>72071328
But "taking music seriously" isn't socially acceptable behavior unless you play an instrument or make music yourself.
>>
>>72071744
The same could be said for reading books, watching films and looking at artworks.
>>
>>72071257
>>72071744
i'm afraid you have autism
>>
>>72071744
The hell are you on about? I know plenty of people, myself included, that openly talk about being huge music fans and get no flak for it. Nobody thinks you're a complete freak for enjoying music a lot and not making music yourself. That's like calling somebody weird because they like Game of Thrones but have no drive to write their own series of fantasy novels.
>>
>>72071681
pleb spotted
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.