[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: MSTD_EOS_CD_grande.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MSTD_EOS_CD_grande.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
So, was it good? It was good, right? ......

Right?
>>
The last song was the only one I liked
>>
My first impression was disappointment, I thought it to be extremely mediocre. But after a Plethora of multiple listens I can whole heartedly say that I Love this album.

LONG LIVE MASTODON
>>
>>72050551
Given that the first single sounded like a radio-friendly Queens of the Stone Age song, I don't know what anyone was expecting.
>>
>>72050551
Loved the album. 8/10 best since Crack the Skye
>>72052209
That was the second single and it's a really good song
>>
>>72052209
>QOTSA
why does everyone keep using this as a criticism? do mastodon fans really hate QOTSA?
>>
'twas okay
>>
>>72050551
If we ignore that one song, I would say that the album was good
>>
>>72051663
I liked the middle section of it. And Andromeda too I guess, and that's about it. Too many times a song starts out okay but then goes into some stupid alt-metal sounding bullshit for the chorus.
>>
>>72052209
damn it's like they're buds or something >>72052267
an accurate generalization would be no

Album wasn't bad. The songs that had classic rock influence had way too much but eh still liked it
>>
>>72052267
I doubt most Mastodon fans dislike Queens. There's 2 reasons for the hate:

Weight of expectation - it's more jarring to hear a band who got popular playing sludge/prog metal to be playing alt rock. you can go from listening to QOTSA's debut to Like Clockwork and it doesn't feel too weird. Whereas if you go from Remission to Emperor, it's very difficult to process that. Even CtS to this is eyebrow-raising. There is definitely watering down of their sound going on this decade, they really want that modern rock radio airplay

Quality - it simply isn't as good as most QOTSA tracks. the comparison is more that it sounds like them melodically (especially in the verses) but neither the performance or the songwriting itself is as memorable or captivating as much of QOTSA's material.

I do think the hate is overblown, I mean the song has under 2.5 on RYM and basically everyone acknowledges it as this awful piece of shit which is kind of silly. Really it's a fairly catchy but ultimately throwaway alt rock tune. The same thing happened with Curl of the Burl when The Hunter dropped. Everyone hated on it. I put it in rotation for a few weeks, enjoyed it for what it was, and then never really thought about it again once it ran its course
>>
File: numalemetal.jpg (1018KB, 1672x2084px) Image search: [Google]
numalemetal.jpg
1018KB, 1672x2084px
>>72050551
>Mastodong
>>
>>72052631
dafuq this chart means? is it meant to be satire?
>>
>>72052631
nice bait chart
>>
>>72052209
I don't think they hate on Queens, it's just a comparison. Actually, it seems a lot of Mastodon fans also like QOTSA.
Josh has even collaborated with them on Blood Mountain and is their friend.
>>
>>72052574
Agreed. I've seen tons of people acting like Show Yourself is literally the worst rock song of the last 20 years or some shit when it's just your average alt rock-like catchy tune that was written to be the single. Like holy shit calm the fuck down
>>
>>72052267
>>72052574
>>72052944
These are on the money. I don't dislike QOTSA at all, but I'd be a bit disappointed if I got the new QOTSA album and it sounded like some other particular band that I like.

In terms of Mastodon, totally appreciate that bands need to move on or grow stale, this just didn't seem like an interesting or novel area to move into. Same thing with the 70s prog metal schtick we've been hearing in metal - there's nothing wrong with it apart from it having already been done really well back in the 70s.
>>
>>72052631
>popular metal albums are nu-male

>implying
>implying
>implying
>>
love Mastodon and Queens of the Stone Age, so naturally I'm one of the apparent few that really enjoyed show yourself. Also, the last solo in Steambreather was very QOTSAy.

regarding the album itself it's my favorite since CTS.
>>
chimes at midnight was their last good song
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.