[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this album is a pile of shit, what the hell is wrong with you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: purecomedyfatherjohnmisty.jpg (371KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
purecomedyfatherjohnmisty.jpg
371KB, 1000x1000px
this album is a pile of shit, what the hell is wrong with you people? I'm not going to pretend to like it just because pitchfork gave it a 7 and he's supposed to be a 'good' artist
It sounds like something my dad would think was 'deep', he's like a shitty don mclean version of spiritualized
literally the first song
>oh their religion's the best
>And they get terribly upset
>When you question their sacred texts
>written by women-hating epileptics
woah FJM, you're such an intellectual!!
For the record, I think religious ideas are illusions, I think organised religion came from one of the most backwards and superstitious parts of the world and is backwards as a result, FJM still seems like a massive virtue signalling faggot though
>>
I liked it.
>>
I listened to this twice now, and both times was a bit of a snoozefest

It's a bit 2deep4u and not as fun and cheesy as his other stuff, which is a shame

Also I can't stop thinking about Female Jenital Mutilation now
>>
>>72040409
6-7/10 btw
>>
I feel you OP. This album is prime "I don't have to listen to it to know it's shit"-core (Think Art Angels, another prime example). I know this album is shit, and I have never listened to it. I don't need to listen to it. Why, you ask? Because I know this album is shit.

A shame, really - because I enjoyed ILYH - well the music at least. Those lyrics really fucking suck!
>>
I actually feel like Tillman talented at writing music, but he is so fucking far up his ass that he made an entire album about "wake up everyone we're all FUCKED! FUCK the government FUCK religion etc."

I wanted to enjoy the music, but I kept feeling like I was getting barraged by constant pseudo-intellectual bullshit.
>>
I like some of the music, but the lyrics are bad. Total lack of subtlety. It's almost like he thinks he's the first person to really put these ideas that millions of dorks have already experienced into an album. Rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>72039820
That song is basically
>man is the animal
but explained in the most pretentious way possible
I really didn't like that verse, it sounded like something some 16 year old amazing atheist subscriber would write in a youtube comment. And how he has not realized that these days it's mainly the atheists that get "terribly upset when anything remotely religious comes up is beyond me.
He also goes back to it later with the "you can get anything online, a creation myth or a 45", it gets annoying.
That said, I liked some of the other songs, like the one about the guy on his deathbed cause it seems like he's mocking himself.
>>
>>72043918
I’m sort of torn on it, because there is something disappointing when people listen to Pure Comedy and they hear a line like, “Their idea of being free/Is a prison of belief/They never ever have to leave,” and they go, “Oh, he’s writing about Republicans or dumb Christians.” That’s not what I intended the song to be, because we are all … my album is my prison of beliefs. My prison of beliefs is thinking in that way and dealing with it.

- josh
>>
>>72040602
I mean, you don't know it's shit. But it's almost certainly shit, so why waste the time confirming your suspicion when you could be listening to something you're confident is good?
>>
>>72043926
oh no, I gotta say that line was actually my favourite part of the song, you did well on that.
I don't wanna come off as "oh shit, daddy misty's on the case, better apologize" but yeah I actually liked that part and the general theme of the album, you just gotta be careful not to try to sound really deep on things that most people are aware of.
>>
Just finished listening to it.
Musically it's a total non-event and lyrically it's preachy shite without those quality lines that slithered through the previous two efforts. Soundstage is crowded too, I really believe it was made up his arse.
>>
Unironically top 10 AOTYSF
>>
File: hek.jpg (2KB, 94x96px) Image search: [Google]
hek.jpg
2KB, 94x96px
>>72039820
i got to the point where she started talking a about a raceless genderless society or whatever he was going on about, and that was enough for me to know he's ((()))

DROPPED
>>
lmao, FJM literally posted in this thread and nobody cared
>>
sup josh
>>
>>72043926
You're on Gods side Josh. Keep up the love and good work
>>
>>72043926
damn....
>>
>>72040602
Are you memeing?
>>
I always get the feeling Father John Misty is trying to emulate this video, and constantly failing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_j0e-ApfNQ
>>
>>72043926

I like it a lot Josh! Don't listen to the "tfw too smart" kids.
>>
already have a dank meme ready for when the new fleet foxes album takes a shit on this

it will be a photoshop of the the obi wan/anakin fight but it will be robin pecknold standing on top saying "ITS OVER J TILLMAN, I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND"
>>
>>72039820

Never really like father john misty just a generic millennial appeal indie artist with a giant beard; he's a very obvious fabricated artist that appeals to an obvious crowd

He's def not terrible but he's the kind of guy that's just bound to pop up sooner or later, his voice and style is pretty generic for lack of a better word.

He's a formula that works and get's mild/decent recognition from both sides people who like generic indie shit and people who like just "good" music

/side i think that pure comedy lyrically was uninspiring but has a mainstream appeal people can connect, like uh he's so truthful and "on point" when really he's just making some obvious and at times lackluster loosely connected remarks on the state of humans and "society' in general.

He's not snarky and cutting at all he's just a guy at the right spot saying just the right amount of things, he's a neet little package.

lately allot of indie artists try to be snarky and more "political and socially aware " which just amounts to mild jabs at the obvious things you read in news headlines with a poor sense of feeling, a lack of any real authenticity ironically enough and just pitiful feelings of "being upset"

In short i've had it with packaged fabricated indie acts thinking they are at any rate different but really are just more of the same regurgitated shit

Bands like chvres, Hayley williams lana del rey, make me want to vomit
>>
>>72046281
Also the video for pure comedy was shit
>>
I liked the album, it had some very touching moments, like magic mountain or in 20 years or so. I guess it's missing the sonic highlights of ILYH. Still, it looks like this direction is the only one he felt he could go, it wouldn't be fair to criticize him for the atmosphere of this record not being as new and immediately interesting as the last one, clearly he couldn't face this one with his FJM mask fully on, but again, you can really tell his urge to go this direction so it's okay. Still very good.

>>72043926
wew could this be real
>>
>>72046548
it's probably some anon quoting an interview
>>
>>72039820
This, I've seen people saying its just canned social commentary meets elton john.

Ive only listened to one FJM song before this and it was Im writing a novel, which really me with its pace and lyrics, so when Pure Comedy came out Id figure Id spend a day listening to him. Holy shit I was miss led
>>
>>72043926
Trying to have it both ways.

A lot of corupted artists/institutions seem to be using this technique lately.

And there is plenty on this album thst is at minimum, in poor taste.
>>
>>72046715
It is an anon quoting an interview lol. Copy and paste that text into Google, I read the interview yesterday.

PSA: FJM IS NOT IN THIS THREAD
>>
itt: p4k drones
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.