[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Jimi Hendrix, /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

Thoughts on Jimi Hendrix, /mu/?
>>
he was pretty good at guitar
>>
Most tragic figure in all of rock because of the wasted potential. At the time of his death, he was planning to record with:
>Miles
>Sly Stone
>Rashaan Roland Kirk(!)
>Arthur Lee
>>
>>72037266
I thought Robin Trower and Frank Marino improved on his template quite a bit more tbqh
>>
Who would win
>centuries of established musical theory and tradition
>vs
>wammy bar meme nigger
>>
>>72037300
And he was toying with the idea of joining an early version of what would become Emerson Lake and Palmer.
>>
>>72037316
wammy bar meme nigger
every time
>>
>>72037316
your're a idiot
>>
>>72037266
most overrated guitarist of all time
yeah he was pretty good at guitar but he isn't the greatest of all time like any rollingstone dicksucker would have you believe
sure he was technically impressive but he was also quite bad at songwriting; half of are you experienced is a total snoozefest
>>
>>72037266
dangerous ugly man
>>
Did a lot for 60s/70s psychedelia, but not a lot past that like a lot of people would argue.
>>
>>72037266
Alongside Frank Zappa, the greatest rocker to ever live.
>>
>>72037417
I'd throw Stevie Ray Vaughan in there
>>
>>72037316
this why white people can't make good music.
>>
Anyone feel Jimi is underrated as a songwriter? I hate what he's become because of dadrock kiddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY53nsjLMkc
>>
File: Blackmore.jpg (202KB, 734x599px) Image search: [Google]
Blackmore.jpg
202KB, 734x599px
>>72037266
>I was impressed by Hendrix. Not so much by his playing, as his attitude—he wasn't a great player, but everything else about him was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing. His guitar playing, though, was always a little bit weird.

>>72037454
>His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible. Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing.
>>
>>72037300
Hendrix and Cobain are the only romanticized dead rock musicians where it's actually fun to speculate where their music would have gone if they didn't die.
>>
>>72037549
Tommy Bolin.
>>
>>72037549
Ian Curtis, Tim Buckley, and Jim Morrison would like a word with you
>>
>>72037266
>'scuse me while I kiss this guy

what EXACTLY did he mean by this?
>>
>>72037549
Nick Drake
Randy Rhodes
D.Boon
Shinji Sato
Jeff and Tim
Baby Huey
Eddie Cochran
Buddy Holly
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 625x790px
>>72037572
>>
>>72037572
Jim Morrison was a has been when he died and nobody cared about The Doors after 1967 until the 1980s.
>>
>>72037596
>Once I was a cartoon
>and I brought home fresh B^) for you
>>
>>72037594
I'll give you Randy Rhodes but the rest of these guys either aren't really that romanticized or made music that was pretty homogeneous.
>>
>>72037549
>Cobain
It couldn't have gotten anywhere, he had his one trick pony run out of tricks
>>
>>72037659
If you consider Punk as a genre a one trick pony, then sure
>>
>>72037687
>cobain created punk
are you alright?
>>
>>72037659
All 3 Nirvana albums were pretty different. It's not out of the question to suggest Nirvana would have gone the Radiohead The Bends-OK Computer route, or at least the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream-Mellon Collie route.
>>
>>72037594
>>72037653
According to his brother, Rhoads was getting ideas ready for a new project when he died (He was going to leave Ozzy's band after they'd finished the tour; contrary to what the Osbourne camp has said, Randy wasn't a happy camper and was actually beaten up a couple of times when he said he wanted to leave).

Apparently he wanted to combine the pomp of bands like Angel and Styx with his Deep Purple/Rainbow influences but in a heavier context, so I guess it would've been similar to the shit guys like Malmsteen and Impellitteri started putting out a few years later.
>>
File: 103.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>72037300
>>Arthur Lee

i can only imagine how that would go, probably extraordinarily well. lee as producer, hendrix as one of the instrumentalists. jesus.
>>
>>72037873
I'd rather have Hendrix as the producer with Lee having the songwriting duties and shit
>>
>>72037707
What that anon said is that he could have gone post-hardcore during mid/late-90s or something else in the same vein. Sonic Youth, Dylan Carson and Dinosaur Jr was his friends, so interesting collabs could have happened in the best timeline.
>>
>>72038029
were*
>>
File: 1489240568813.jpg (24KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1489240568813.jpg
24KB, 500x479px
>>72037316
this is bad bait but it made me laugh
>>
>>72037745
I really don't see Cobain as having much of an interest in electronic music like Radiohead and Corgan did. He was probably going to go down a blues/folk path or experiment with noise once he felt satisfied with ending Nirvana.
>>
>>72037596
miscarriage?
>>
I keep wanting to call him overrated to be contrarian but I just can't. He was one talented motherfucker.
>>72037653
Not Shinji. Dude had potential.
>>72038164
I see him attempting to subtly follow in Neil's footsteps and progressively "strip down" his guitar playing and production. Real haunting solo career
>>72037572
Morrison wouldn't have fared the 80s well. Curtis would have been miserable and we would never get New Order. Don't forget Jeff Buckley.
>>
>>72037266
cool dude, shame he doesn't gig anymore
>>
>>72037506
He was a mediocre songwriter. Literally less than 5 great songs. Little Wing is his only elite tier song
>>
>>72037873
Already happened you ignorant fucks, when Jimi was a corporate slave poor man's Curtis Mayfield he did some soul sessions as backing guitar player for Lee
>>
>>72037316
holy shit
>>
>>72037369
>half of are you experienced is a total snoozefest
this + the actual sound quality is fucking terrible. are his other albums like this?
>>
>>72037300
Jimi and Roland Kirk... What have we missed out on?!
>>
>>72040681
I'm not the biggest Hendrix fan, but look at this madman:
https://youtu.be/-6ryVryFnEY
And he's blind...
>>
>>72037369
>most overrated guitarist of all time

Show me a single musician/guitarist who reached hendrix's skill, fame and reverence after only playing guitar for 12 years
>>
>>72042527
Not him, but are guest players who achieved that: Allan Holdsworth, Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, Grant Green, Joe Pass, John Scofield, Paco de Lucia, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin.
>>
>>72042698
Guitar players*
>>
>>72037266
He was really, really good, but not groundbreaking. His influence was massive on the 60s and 70s but not much else, and while one of the best individual guitarists of the 20th century, he wasn't the best ever. He could've been, maybe, but that really is what's so tragic; he was doing so well at the very dawn of his career, with barely any experience and little time to hone his abilities. What he could've achieved if he was alive, even for just one more decade, would've been what could've possibly cemented him as one of the greatest musicians in modern history.
>>
>>72037369
>i hate slow music cuz its a snoozefest!!

Have you taken your ADHD meds today? Or are you under the age of 10?
>>
>>72042741
>Not groundbreaking
>You're literally the only person who thinks this

Everyone around at the time admitted he was groundbreaking and bowed before him. Guitar music was literally changed forever by him.
>>
>>72042698
Hendrix literally played guitar for 12 years until his death,had musical career of only around 8 years and main career of only around 4 years

A pretty impressive feat when you consider his reverence during and after an age where everyone was playing guitar.

Hendrix was the whole package, he had the writing ability, the skillset, the ability to improvise, carry the his band/s, play/sing, have onstage presence/the ability to put on an interesting performance, not many can compare given his short timespan, he's revered for a reason

Not that i'm saying he's better than DJango etc, it'd be wrong to compare DJango would do many things Hendrix couldn't and visa versa
>>
>>72042741
>but not groundbreaking

There wasn't a single musician like Hendrix before Hendrix
>>
>>72042757
>>72042867
>>72042698
>>
>>72042890

not an argument
>>
>>72042910
Great. And why wouldn't you read that post? It's not like I insulted you or anything.
>>
>>72042953

i'm sorry anon don't be mad at me ;_;
>>
>>72037549
Even bowie would be more interesting and he would be 70
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.