[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes music good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: exampleofgoodalbum.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
exampleofgoodalbum.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
What's up /mu/tants, I come to you with this question.

>What makes music good? And If you could have metrics to scale how good is it, how would you make it?

I'm not talking about how music makes you feel, I'm talking about how good (being objective) the music is.

Feel free to use an album you like
>>
if your album has Spottieottiedopaliscious on it, its good.

That is my metric
>>
>>72005865
>And If you could have metrics to scale how good is it, how would you make it?
can i like it after repeated listen
>>
>What makes music good? And If you could have metrics to scale how good is it, how would you make it?
How interesting is it? Is it grabbing me? No real scale except how badly it's grabbing me.
>>
>>72005964
When do you know when it grabs you?

Me personally I feel it in my bones, those goosegumps like if you were about to start an acid trip.

What else guys?
>>
I can speak only as far as music in the pop/rock album tradition - shits gotta have that visceral element to it. Thats a lot vaguer than I'd like it to be but I think its the best I can do. Somewhat similar to what the other anon said. Good music sounds vital, unironic, visceral.
I'm deeply deeply unsatisfied with this description but I feel like it's as precise as I can get
>>
>>72006111
When you say Visceral you mean you feel it inside you?
>>
i've been battling with this question since someone called grimes shit when we were all sitting around on ecstasy

i thought i had objectively great taste in music but this man did not agree (though, his taste in music is shit too, IMO)
>>
>>72006111
i mean sure but thats even more uselessly vague

i guess i want to clarify the kind of responses that good music draws from listeners. its not just emotional. there's something more seriously physiological when you're reacting to good music.

so this isnt so satisfying to what actually makes music good. its more about the effect good music has on people, which is only contingent to what really matters. but whatever
>>
>>72006347
So, what are your metrics for that?
>>
>>72006390
meant to reply to
>>72006322
>>
>>72005985

Pretty much as you described, when it "hits" it's just like an incredible high of some sorts, and it can become a vibe that lasts. Can be with bloody everything, too.
>>
A good song to me sounds like it's completely "developed" and it doesnt sound like it hits any walls in what it does. any progression/extra detail in the song is respectable to the main sound and doesnt ruin the rest of it. It doesnt have to be experimental or groundbreaking or deep, but as long as it's doing what it does well then its a good song.
>>
>>72006513
This is amazing, do you have a recent example of what do you mean?
>>
>>72006580
Pretty hard for me to say since i dont have any big favorites but the best examples i can come up with right now are probably TOJ by el-p, 24k magic and like what by tennyson
>>
>>72006513
This sounds right to me too.
Overall, a good song is evocative (makes you feel something, anything) and cohesive (is specific and detailed in the feeling that it conveys)
It's helpful for me to think of music that I just can't stand. For example, I have a friend who only listens to Los Angeles hip-hop/trappy/synthy "future" rnb, and it all sounds the same: same grooves, same drum kit, same synths, same buildup-drop structure. It's awful imo.
>>
>>72007091
True, the whole future bass thing is like becoming the new edm nowadays, its really tiring. I feel that the most in a lot of metal(not the edm thing). Imo Its like a wall of loud sound with nothing to really grab your attention
>>
>>72005865
good music should either make me feel something I want to feel, or make me feel something I didn't know I wanted to feel.
>>
Do you guys know any band that is the band between very fucking catchy, and aesthetic?

I would say Wings "Venus and Mars" is a good example
>>
>>72006513
This sounds right to me too.
Overall, a good song is evocative (makes you feel something, anything) and cohesive (is specific and detailed in the feeling that it conveys)
It's helpful for me to think of music that I just can't stand. For example, I have a friend who only listens to Los Angeles hip-hop/trappy/synthy "future" rnb, and it all sounds the same: same grooves, same drum kit, same synths, same buildup-drop structure. It's awful imo.
>>
Music gets me HA
>>
A good beat.

Just ask Varg.
>>
What do you guys think are the new artists that are going to blow up like Mars and Beiber did?

Besides The Weeknd.

I'm thinking Gallant is going to blow up next album
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.