[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular/Often unadressed music opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: angery.png (225KB, 936x1000px) Image search: [Google]
angery.png
225KB, 936x1000px
Childish Gambino is admirable as a person, if not as a rapper. He's true to who he is, and I respect that more than more talented people who are fake.

Queen is overhyped. Talented group, but they are not the gods people make them out to be. Same with Nirvana, especially Kurt Cobain.

Eminem would be top 5 if he died in 05.

AJJ is just retooling the same 7 songs and messages with different lyrics.

Synth-pop and New Wave is more connected to alternative hip hop then today's post-punk.

Tyler the Creator has merit as an artist and, since his music is intrinsically connected to his art, his music has equal merit, even if it is objectively not good.

95% of acts have a public opinion based almost solely on attitude. Better musicians with uninteresting attitudes will be unnoticed, while bombastic assholes will be continuously hated, yet listened to.

Also, Creedence Clearwater Revival is the best roots rock group, no questions.
>>
The following bands are objectively terrible:
REM
U2
Bruce Springsteen
The Replacements
Wilco
Tortoise
>>
>>71995610
Also coldplay
>>
>>71995610
Well, you're wrong anon. But that's okay.
>>
File: what u cookin.png (537KB, 644x456px) Image search: [Google]
what u cookin.png
537KB, 644x456px
>>71995582
>Tyler the Creator has merit
>>
>>71995667
Hell yeah he does. As a film maker, mainly, but that is so connected to his music, it transfers.
>>
>>71995610
>Unpopular/Often unadressed music opinions

>starts post with "objectively"

fucking lol.

anyway, Conor Oberst>Sufjan Stevens

Swans are a fucking bore

bands like DIIV, Real Estate, etc. are all the same four dudes making horribly bland music and need to stop.

(Sandy) Alex G best artist working today.
>>
>>71995722
>alex g best artist working today
Oh boy the pavement tribute band is the best? seriously?
>>
Also, Big Sean is pretty good, he just tries to toe a line between R&B and rap WAY too hard.

DRAM seems like a cool guy, and his music is good and wholesome. Brocolli would be better if Snoop Dogg or literally anyone else was on it besides Lil Yachty.
>>
>>71995824
He is super talented.
>>
>>71995824
>pavement tribute band

you've either never listened to pavement or alex g, perhaps both honestly.
>>
>>71995722
>bands like DIIV, Real Estate, etc. are all the same four dudes making horribly bland music and need to stop.

ouch :(
>>
File: apu got a kiddy.png (88KB, 604x516px) Image search: [Google]
apu got a kiddy.png
88KB, 604x516px
rap sucks
>>
>>71995824
>the pavement tribute band
You mean Attic Abasement?
>>
>>71995855
>Big Sean
>pretty good

No. Big Sean is actually irritating, and has some Lil' Wayne-tier lyrics without the skill required to pull them off.

On the other hand, DRAM makes good music and seems like a good dude. Agreed with the Broccolli comment as well, except that maybe not someone like Snoop.
>>
>Unpopular opinion

Hip-Hop and Pop music is part of an elitest agenda to keep the general populace distracted from the increasing privatisation of the state and globalisation of the economy
>>
>>71996062
It says opinion, not fact.
>>
>>71996062
That's a fact, not an opinion. We've had that since Ancient Rome, see "bread and circuses"
>>
File: TNC.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
TNC.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
The only reason someone wouldn't have this as their favorite Billy Joel album is if they didn't listen to it.

It's baffling how someone could listen to this and not think it's his best.
>>
>>71996062
>>
>>71995722
>Swans are a fucking bore
que?
>>
>>71995610
kys

The best Pavement album is Slanted and Enchanted and the best Pixies album is Surfer Rosa.
>>
>>71996637
he hates birds
>>
>>71996644
Yeah but they still suck
>>
>>71995582
ELO are amazing, and the Xanadu soundtrack is godtier
>>
File: 1490058820390.png (477KB, 664x623px) Image search: [Google]
1490058820390.png
477KB, 664x623px
>>71995582
>Tyler the Creator has merit as an artist
Tyler the Creator is a genius and he's one of the most interesting artists around today

In 20 years the fucking dingdongs at Pitchfork will be wanking off over "le 2010s nostalgia" and making contrived statements about what an influential genius he was

The closest thing I've heard to some kind of rebuttal for why it's supposed to be bad is that it's "edgy", like anything that pisses people off has no merit beyond pissing people off and also go fuck yourself because you have the personality of a blank sheet of paper if dick jokes and the word nigger is offensive to you in the year 2017

Yeah a lot of his music is mediocre but it's about as mediocre as anything that relies on stylization to be interesting
>>
>>71995610
i don't object
>>
>>71996062
Why is the globalization of the economy a bad thing?

t. economics major
>>
>>71996861
>The closest thing I've heard to some kind of rebuttal for why it's supposed to be bad is that it's "edgy"
Have you...actually heard his music? Do you hear a song off of Wolf and think, "Wow, this is really interesting!"?
>>
File: 1485302393212.jpg (71KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
1485302393212.jpg
71KB, 500x331px
AnCo and phil are some of the only good /mu/core artists
slint,loveless,radiohead are so fucking terribly overrated
moo is literally r/indieheads. Also it's hilarious how they shit on normies for liking the same top 40 and dadrock, but they change it or all the same enrty level indie shit and never explore outside of that.
PW was a really good album and centipede Hz is in their top 5
>>
>>71995582
>Queen is overhyped
I thought that was more a /mu/ consensus, which was why nobody talked about them here.
>>
>>71996938
I didn't say it was intellectually stimulating, just artistically redeeming on some level

If you want me to justify to you why this seemingly dumb and juvenile music is more interesting than just being obnoxious then I'll start you at every counter-culture movement of the last 400 years and work you up to postmodernism where an empty tic-tac box is what constitutes art
>>
Dave Grohl makes absolutely horrible music, but seems like a really nice person.

Eminem is waaayyyyyy overrated.

Curren$y is one of the best rappers working today. Super chill, relaxed, got some bangers in him. What's not to like?

Paul was the best beatle

Jacques Brel was the best songwriter of the 20th century. Like holy shit was he good

The best Nirvana song was On a Plain

>>71995610
Wrong
>>
>>71997054
>Dave Grohl

lol i agree that the last like decade of Foo Fighters has been mostly garbo, but he makes pretty decent music in my opinion. however, i also think he's probably a major asshole (look at early Foo Fighters, there's some documentary which was actually really good, and the drummer from Sunny Day Real Estate seems to hate him, and for good reason)

totally agree about Eminem, Curren$y is likable but equally forgettable.

I don't get how people don't think Paul is the best Beatle. none of the others even compare, especially if we figure in work outside of The Beatles (RAM is better than all of the other members' solo work combined).

wtf is a Jacques Brel

I disagree about best Nirvana song, but idk what i'd replace it with.
>>
TKOL is RadioHead's 3rd best album and plebs don't like it because it doesn't have "le super sad emotional moments".
If you feel the rhythm like Thom does in Lotus Flower and move with the music you'll get it and notice the beautiful atmosphere the album makes and appreciate even the "le weirdest" song like Feral.
>>
Remain in Light isn't that good. I see the appeal but it's just not my thing, man.
>>
Bottomless Pit and Jenny Death are my favorite Death Grip albums.
>>
File: IMG_0181.jpg (59KB, 461x465px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0181.jpg
59KB, 461x465px
>>71997307
>not knowing Jacques Brel
>>
>>71996062
In the main stream genrally yes, but there are some artist that reach high levels of influence and start red pilling, for example kendrick lamar
>>
>>71995582
>gambino is admirable as a person
absolutely, accomplished actor plus mediocre stand up and mediocre music? Takes balls to try and pull that off and I'm not being sarcastic. He really doesn't stop himself from trying something, and he even occasionally happens upon a good song

>Queen is overhyped

I'm aware that reddit has an undying obsession with this man, but Queen just simply isn't overhyped man. They had copious amounts of talent and would be legends if Bohemian Rhapsody was the only song they ever did.

>Eminem would be top 5 if he died

True, not that I care. I think Eminem is one of the most painfully overrated rappers of all time. SSLP and MMLP aged like dog shit for the most part

>Tyler The Creator has merit as an artist

To expand on this, I think it's admirable that Tyler has been practically the only rapper in the mainstream light who hasn't made a trap beat or hopped on the trap trend. In fact, the only trap beats he ever got on were features. He still hasn't caved and made a legitimate trap song
>>
>>71997448
Agreed, super overrated to me
>>
>>71995582
>Childish Gambino is admirable
lol k nig
>Queen overhyped, talented but no gods
careful with that edge sempai
>CCR is the best roots rock group
>Eminem top 5 but still alive
>New wave is more alt hiphop than todays postpunk
who gives a shit!?????????????????????????
this isn't unpopular because it's true, it's repetitive plebshit
>>
>>71997448
i'm a big Talking Heads/David Byrne fan, but yeah, this is easily the most overrated thing he's been involved in. the rest is pretty underrated.

>>71997573
teach me
>>
>>71997619
He is. He's a talented actor, comedian, and musician (Not rapper, musician) and doesn't pretend to be something he isn't, like 95% of artists who are stylistically better rappers, that makes him more genuine, and thus more admiral than most.
>>
All /mu/core artists are, at minimum, good.

Nick Drake is the greatest guitarist ever.
>>
>>71996041
>throwing an entire genre away because you don't understand that music should be judged on its own merits

kek
>>
>>71995722
this post smells like indiehead
that shit taste is palpable
>>
>>71997948
well, /mu/=/r/indieheads, and if you don't agree you're fucking lying to yourself out of some desire for elitism for PATRICIAN MUSIC TASTE ON THE INTERNET.

also, it said unpopular opinions bub, and that's what i did. hit me with yours.
>>
>>71998008
>and if you don't agree you're fucking lying to yourself out of some desire for elitism for PATRICIAN MUSIC TASTE ON THE INTERNET.

lmao at this mad faggot
>>
>>71996369
That's not The Stranger
>>
>>71998231
He's right, though... I always get annoyed when someone thinks they can discredit someone else online because they used all-caps at some point.
>>
File: SabbathPeasant.png (2MB, 615x1643px) Image search: [Google]
SabbathPeasant.png
2MB, 615x1643px
>>71997728
o k
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.