[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this considered the worst of the three?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: The_Glowing_Man_(Front_Cover).jpg (101KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
The_Glowing_Man_(Front_Cover).jpg
101KB, 300x300px
Why is this considered the worst of the three?
>>
>opener is slow and drone-y without any kind of pay-off
>follows TBK's template
>more ambient and drone sections
>less lyrics, more moaning
>less outlandish instrumentation (mainly dissonant guitar noise)
>less songwriting, more improvised
>rape controversy
>ugly-ass cover
>>
>>71970088
But that's the best of the three.
>>
>>71970183
I mean it could be, I've only listened to the first two, thinking The Seer was pretty good and To Be Kind was amazing. I just wanted to know why some considered a big step down, or why some people prefer it.
>>
>>71970088
That's actually my favorite of the three
>>
>>71970231
rape accusation
>>
>>71970132
Basically what this anon said. Too much drone. Also it came after TBK, their best album ever.
>>
Overproduced, too many female vocals, strange production misteps and decisions, somehow sounds like it has less teeth than it should. Its still pretty good.
>>
>>71971455
>less teeth than it should
better than the dentures they were wearing for the previous couple albums, this is gummy new age swans - something fresh
>>
because it just rehashed to be kind, even the covers were the same
>>
>>71971487
The Seer's teeth definitely weren't fake. TBK's neither. Tracks like Oxygen or She Loves Us are just full of real, fleshy vitriol and anger. Definitely not an old guy trying to sound lively, Michael's as vital as ever.
>>
>>71970132
I like the cover
>>
>>71971560
>Michael's as vital as ever.
naw
he's old man yelling at clouds stage of life
on glowing man he finally puts head in clouds instead
>>
>>71971591
Have you seen them live? He seems more in tune with his music than he ever was on their early records. He's old, but he's fucking relentless.
>>
>>71971591
TBK and Seer sound softer than their earlier albums but it's mostly because of the production. Listen to Oxygen - (Live) from the Oxygen EP. Or listen to the version of Beautiful Child from We Rose From Your Bed.
>>
>>71970088
Because it is. Worst doesn't mean bad though, it's still an exceptional album.It was just disappointing after two 10/10s in a row.

My problem with it is that it felt like leftovers from TBK rather than its own specific vision.
>>
>>71970132
>>71970243
What's this talk of rape?
>>
>>71972071
a nobody musician named Larkin Grimm who worked with michael went on social media and accused him of raping her
>>
Not enough grooves for TBKfags. Personally, I like it the most of the 3 and am actually pretty hit or miss on TBK. What it lacks in chaotic energy it makes up for in zen-like contemplation and absolute control of their sound. They sound like they know what they're doing on TGM moreso than the other post-revival albums.
>>
>>71970088
because after 2 albums of the same shit no one really cared about the 3rd
>>
The Seer > The Glowing Man > To Be Kind
>>
>the middle section of Cloud of Unknowing
>>
>>71972458
wrong
>>
>>71972099
she looks just like two of the grills who've accused me of rape. there must be a type
>>
the sun
>>
>>71972458
TGM > TBK > TS
>>
>>71972750
bring it
>>
Eh, felt it didn't really push past what TBK established soundwise and felt more of the same. I still think World Looks Red/Black is one of their best.

And I think "My Father Will Guide Me..." is much better than people give it credit for.
>>
>>71970088
for me it felt more of a derivative of TBK. Still think it's great and was incredible to hear live
>>
>>71972458

TGM > TS > TBK

>>71973166

On its own merits it is but in the grand scheme of things it sounds like a warm up album. Not the best follow-up to Soundtracks and it subsequently gets blown out by The Seer.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.