[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is music school even worth it? The idea of being able to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0072.jpg (35KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0072.jpg
35KB, 300x225px
Is music school even worth it? The idea of being able to make a good number of connections and having a good excuse to move to a city is nice, but it seems way to fucking expensive for something you could essentially learn on your own.
>>
You're basically paying to be surrounded by the best musicians in the country and for the connections

It will improve you as a musician much faster than anything else
>>
Just for the connections

I would do a semester or two and then drop out
>>
>>71969254
/thread
>>
It depends on which school you go to and how serious you are about music. Some schools won't teach you shit while others definitely will. I went to school for an arts major and quit after 3 semesters because the program was too slow for me but the connections have helped out quite a bit in the freelance world. You can't just expect those to happen though, you need to actively get out and make friends.
>>
Yes you can learn a lot on your own, but if you're talented enough to pass an audition and music is the only thing you're really passionate about in life, I don't see why you wouldn't at least try out a music school.

The way you word it OP implies that you want to learn how to play music? Music school is more or less for advanced musicians perfecting their craft, not people who are beginners or intermediates from my experience.
>>
File: The_John_Coltrane_Quartet_Plays.jpg (26KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
The_John_Coltrane_Quartet_Plays.jpg
26KB, 301x300px
>>71969173
I dont trust berklee and i dont know about what it will be like once i graduate but i go to a very highly recognized school known for jazz (pretty traditional program but lets me specialize in free jazz as long as i can still do whatever else is expected of me) and i have to say i got WAAYY better then i kind of ever thought i would really quickly. I also have a good network of teachers in and out of school more so then students. I study in school with david wong, ben schachter, and tim warfeild and out of school with william parker. Im also starting to sub for my professors on gigs. Lifes looking okay, im also a sophomore and i get to study in amsterdam all next semester. I think school is good.
>>
File: 1b2.png (324KB, 414x459px) Image search: [Google]
1b2.png
324KB, 414x459px
>>71969173
>going to collage for any art
send me the money instead
>>
>>71969173
There are basically four situations where you should consider going to music school:

1) You are a highly talented person with a lot of practice and motivation to practice on your instrument, and you wish to become a professional or semi-professional classical or jazz, (or maybe session) musician. Same for becoming a professional producer, but the institutions you would go to are usually different.

2) You are interested in music and are reasonably good, and you own a lot of money in your 20s or 30s, which you can spend to enjoy a recreational and educational musical experience and make connections, and learn more about music. It's a perfectly valid reason to go but may not be worth the cost (in other words, don't take out loans for music school unless you are 100% sure you are in one of the other situations)

3) You wish to teach music to adults or older high schools who already have a lot of musical training (you can teach untalented rich white kids simply by having connections, a good background and being good at marketing yourself, although educational institutions will want some qualifications)

4) You are a successful musician in a tradition (let's say most rock/hip-hop) that doesn't require a lot of formal music training, but you wish to try something more ambitious and you don't feel confident.
>>
I know a few people that went to Berklee and other music schools, and they're good musicians, but gig-wise they're really not doing anything a non-degree musician couldn't do (though a few have become band teachers, some teach lessons at colleges, which needs a degree).

Finding work in the music business is about making connections (no one gives a fuck about your degree if you're still a shitty musician). College can definitely help with connections, but so can checking out local gigs, going to jams, and just being a part of the scene that's relevant to you.
>>
>>71969482
I'm more interested in becoming a better preformer and being able to compose/write music.
Admittedly i'm in to comtemperary and urban music (rock, pop, indie and the likes, the closest my music interests get to actual art music is Radiohead or TVU or Talking Heads, which is still basically pop) and i want to become a better all around muscian and get better at a multitude of instruments and urban styles. So far I have an intermediate to slightly advanced understanding music but i'm terrible in front of crowds and barley know anything about producing and making connections.
>>
>>71969974
>the closest my music interests get to actual art music is Radiohead or TVU or Talking Heads, which is still basically pop
It's good that you are aware of this.
Smoke weed and listen to the 7th and 9th Beethoven symphonies.
>>
Like most things if you have the money do it.

If you're taking on the debt then I wouldn't.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.