[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /mu/ like Cyndi Lauper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: eMB9qopl.jpg (84KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
eMB9qopl.jpg
84KB, 512x512px
Does /mu/ like Cyndi Lauper?
>>
Girls just wanna have fun it's my guilty pleasure
>>
How can you not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
She's So Unusual [Portrait, 1983]

Initially, this blue angel won my heart by covering the two most profound pop songs of the past five years, "Money Changes Everything" and "When You Were Mine." Now, with "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" the official pep song of the daughters of Ms. and Pepsi-Cola and "Time After Time" throbbing hearts by the millions, I've softened my strictures about her Betty Boop bimboism--if a kook who's loved, respected, and taken seriously by her sisters fools boys into believing she can be fooled with, more power to her. First side's an eternal classic. Second sneaks by on the one where she kisses me and the one where she diddles herself. A

True Colors [Portrait, 1986]

Cheap sentiment plus star-budget video make the first side so disheartening that the second isn't much more than a relief. Just as the sensitive relationship songs retreat from the perils of triads and the pleasures of jerking off, "What's Going On" is a nostalgic generalization after the first album's confrontation with capital. Girls just want to have money--and no fun changes everything. B-

A Night to Remember [Epic, 1989]

Can you believe she's talking this one up as a triumph of self-expression (meaning "personal" songs, like that Kodak ad) over spiritual adversity (meaning commercial shortfall)? How embarrassing to have placed hope in this woman. And how sad to compare the bold finds and off-the-wall vulgarity of the only good album she'll ever make to this bigtime pop--a parameter stretched not an iota by songs about one's very own breakup, not to mention strokes as prudently defiant as the lyric about not being a pet, which was probably Christina Amphlett's idea anyway. C+
>>
Hat Full of Stars [Epic, 1993] :(

Twelve Deadly Cyns [Epic, 1994]

The statistics are brutal. The six best tracks on this 10-year retrospective, arrayed all in a row after a bombastic new Mann-Weil cover, are all from her decade-old debut, and if "When You Were Mine" had been thrown in the figure would have been seven. So you decide--wanna buy this for "True Colors" and "I Think About You"? I thought not, and that was without mentioning the "Girls" remix or the Mary Chapin Carpenter song about pigeons. Maybe she was so set on fun because she guessed it would be hell from there on in. C

The Body Acoustic [Asphalt Tango, 2005]

"Money Changes Everything" *choice cuts*
>>
Had a good start but her sophomore album was a slide downhill from which she never recovered. In the end, she proved nothing more than a gimmick artist whose schtick got boring fast. Also she accused the music industry of shortchanging her because she was already in her 30s when she started and they considered her too old to be an appealing pop star.
>>
Of course. Her description of how she came around to singing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", is great, and nobody who truly felt that song could have done it like she did. Time After Time, though, is a classic.
>>
>>71946250
Well...yeah. Madonna quickly superseded her for sex appeal, edginess, and just plain talent.
>>
cyndi lauper > bjork
>>
One album wonders general?
>>
>>71946389
Cyndi had two good albums.
>>
>>71946311
Cyndi was too cute, harmless, and family-safe. She didn't scare parents like Madonna did.
>>
Isn't Cyndi Lauper a raging SJW? I seem to remember she is.
>>
>>71945827
Not really.
>>
>>71946311
I feel like Cyndi had a more punk look initially, but I guess by the early '90s she couldn't compete with Madonna's Girly Show theatrics.
>>
>>71947986
>early 90s
Try 1986. By the time True Blue came out, everyone knew Madonna was legit and not a 5 second passing fad.
>>
>>71947986
Could be. Her style might have been too rooted in the 70s/New Wave era, and she unfortunately got started right as that was about to go out of fashion. She should have put out her first record a couple years earlier than 1983.
>>
tbf nobody really cared about Debbie Harry either after Madonna happened. Debbie is still rather bitter about that to this day; she's insulted Madonna in interviews on several occasions.
>>
>>71948105
Madonna is also bitter af about the pop vixens who came after her, although in her case it's just ego because she made 500x as much money and reached a level of stardom Debbie Harry couldn't dream of.
>>
blump
>>
If you go to parts of Kuzbeckstan they've not even heard of her
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.