[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saxophone vs Violin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Hey /mu/, I'm a piano player and I've been thinking about getting a new instrument. I've narrowed down my choices to a saxophone or violin.
Which one does /mu/ think is better?
>>
I prefer violin as it works well for a lot more different styles, but it really depends on the style of music you want to make
>>
>>71945704
Violin. Easily. Sax kinda loses its luster without other engaging instrumentation to back it up.
>>
>>71945727
I've heard the same thing about the violin though, they said that to play violin I need to join an orchestra otherwise the violin is boring Is that true or just bs?
>>
>>71945749
Personally, I disagree. Not an expert, but I also think you can attempt a much broader range of styles with a violin, as well.
>>
What type of music do you intend to play? From a classical perspective I'd say violin, blues/jazz/some rock go with the sax. Of course if you like bluegrass or southern rock violin would be the obvious choice.
>>
>>71945815
I like both classical and jazz, that's why this is a hard choice for me. I'm considering going for violin since I already play jazz piano and my brother has a saxophone.
I usually hate having the same things as him.
>>
if you don't get the violin you're a fool
>>
>>71946036
I'm leaning towards the violin atm
>>
Honestly get a Euphonium best instrument. But seriously get a saxophone, violin is abhorrent as a solo instrument and can't play outside of classical and string quartets.
>>
File: clinton-playing-saxophone.jpg (47KB, 396x528px) Image search: [Google]
clinton-playing-saxophone.jpg
47KB, 396x528px
What happened to you saxophone? You used to be cool man.
>>
>>71946942
What awful advice

>>71945704
get a cello
>>
>>71945704
saxophone is the easiest wind instrument
>>
>>71945763
If you get good there are a lot of stylistic things you can do with a violin to give it more depth. Played for about a decade and one of my favorite things was getting really good at a solo piece.
>>
>>71945704
Violin is the better instrument but depending on your living situation your neighbours might murder you.
>>
>>71945704
I've hard that violin has a steeper learning curve if that helps.
>>
>>71945704
Violin if you plan to get lessons
Sax if you don't
>>
>>71945704
get a viola
>>
>>71945704
Saxophone no question. Saxophone might be boring without accompaniment, but violin is boring in every application. You can even play violin parts on the sax if you use circular breathing. Try playing a sax part on a violin without sounding retarded.
>>
>>71947166
the problem here is that sax always sounds retarded
get a clarinet. or a guitar like normal people.
>BLEEEEEEEEE EEEEK BLEEEEEEEE ROTROTROT
>>
>>71947212
What can the clarinet do that the soprano sax can't?
Besides, if we're expanding our choices the trumpet is the obvious answer. Name a genre in which a trumpet would seem out of place. There aren't that many.
>>
>>71947223
>What can the clarinet do that the soprano sax can't?
sound good, have proper dynamics, saxophones are basically on/off. they were made to sound as loud as possible.
>>
>>71947099
>string fags
>>
>>71947236
You've only heard shitty sax players, anon
>>
>>71947267
Saxophone is just not a nice sounding instrument. Boring overtones, very simple sound. It was made to compete with drums and loud orchestras, this is obsolete today because microphones.
>>
>>71947132
Isn't the sax louder?
>>
>>71947304
I was thinking intonation.
>>
>>71947149
What about violin with one lesson every second week?
>>
>>71947340
that will work. violin is really hard and uncomfortable to get in. keep practicing and be happy about small achievements when you start. it will take you at least half a year before you can play the first tune that is not a simple child song. it is very rewarding though, violin is one of the most expressive instruments.
>>
>>71947400
Thanks man, I'll do that
nice dubs btw
>>
File: 27095-21043-thickbox.jpg (87KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
27095-21043-thickbox.jpg
87KB, 600x600px
>>71947525
>525
KV525 is the catalog no. for Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

It's meant to be that you get violin lessons.
>>
>>71947565
haha, one day I'll play that, one day.
>>
>>71947668
In spite of its ubiquity, it's a really good piece and fun to play.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.