[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some other 90's rap/hiphop groups that were similar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What are some other 90's rap/hiphop groups that were similar to The Pharcyde?

Sure you had squeaky clean groups like Kid N' Play, but the former proved that you could have dope ass beats and lyrics, with swearing n' everything, but that didn't define the music, and wasn't about gang bangin'.
>>
There's a lot. Jurassic 5, digable planets, tribe called quest, de la soul, camp lo, cypress hill. I'm probably forgetting some. The early 90s alternative hip hop scene has produced a lot of good stuff. De la soul is probably the best of that style.
>>
>>71946024
Very helpful post. Thanks anon. This is exactly what I was lookin' for.
>>
>>71945562
> Kid N' Play
>>
>>71946189
I'm referring to the stark contrast between groups like Kid N' Play and Pharcyde. I like 90's era music that doesn't have to have a gang banger persona, but also doesn't make me feel like I'm 2 decades older than the target audience.
>>
Common, Beastie Boys, Mos Def, Kool Keith, KMD, Main Source, Digital Underground, Black Sheep
>>
>>71946162
No problem. You really can't go wrong with any of that stuff. It's a very fun style
Of hip hop, before it got all gritty and serious in the mid 90s
>>
>>71946289
That's what I love about Labcabincalifornia. Rappers like 2pac, Nas, and Snoop Dog are hitting the scene hard, and to survive in the biz, words were everything, your music had to be thought provoking, and it was, but it was gritty and about the perils of street life and poverty. Then here comes this group who proved me to at least, that in the midst of all the darkness and gang banging, you can still make something with a parental advisory label, that is mature, thought provoking, and yet also fun as hell.
>>
>>71946436
You should listen to Pauls Boutique if you haven't. It's basically the Sgt Pepper of alternative hip hop
>>
>>71946518
I didn't really care much for Licensed to Ill, which is pretty much all I've ever heard from them, but damn this opens pretty funky. I like it so far.
>>
>>71946592
Pauls boutique is very different from their debut. It's very different from any other album actually. If they died after this album they would be legendary figures
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.