[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grateful Dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 870919_1.jpg (43KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
870919_1.jpg
43KB, 630x630px
What are /mu/'s thoughts on the grateful dead and the culture that surrounds it?
>>
fuck them and their boring fucking beer commercial rock. less than music, absolute fucking dogshit
>>
>>71939151
>beer commercial rock
elaborate
>>
File: 300px-Grateful_Dead_(1970).png (47KB, 300x157px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Grateful_Dead_(1970).png
47KB, 300x157px
>>71939127
Pretty damn great
>>
>>71939151
Confirmed for only having listened to Touch of Grey and Casey Jones.

Listen to a show from '72 and get back to me.
>>
Their early psychedelic stuff with the feedback jams and the 40 minute Dark Stars was fucking awesome.

But then once they started incorporating more country and folk they started to lose me.

1969/1970 was their peak and it was all downhill from there sadly.
>>
>>71939127
Overrated, screw hippies!
>>
>>71939436
i regularly go to festivals
>>
>>71939127
>What are /mu/'s thoughts on the grateful dead
About 5% of the music I've heard by them is God Tier. Usually in the midst of their lengthy improvisations when they occasionally achieved the same level of interplay and creativity of some of the best jazz groups in a setting that allowed for compositions to evolve organically.
The other 95% is frankly not worth hearing unless you're invested in the band. I still like hearing shows in their entirety cause I like them as people and musical personalities. The music usually isn't that fantastic most of the time. Their renditions of Mama Tried aren't exactly transcendental out of body experiences but they're usually pretty cute and I get a kick out of those sort of corny country songs. Often, they almost feel a bit like warm ups and they establish the atmosphere for the more intense numbers like Dark Star or Terrapin Station.
>and the culture that surrounds it?
The Deadheads have done an excellent job cataloging and distributing shows which I appreciate. Beyond that though, I don't care.
>>
>>71939514
lol
>>
the music is fucking great. lots of /mu/ type hipsters blow it off because of the over-saturation of the culture and merch and because of its uncool status. i know because i was the same way. but one day, just for fucks, i sat down and gave live/dead a listen and my fucking mind was blown. i felt like a dumbass for ignoring them for so long. listen to that album if you haven't already, seriously.
>>
>>71940042
You should listen to the Fillmore West 1969 box set then.

It's basically Live Dead except like 20 more hours of it.
>>
>>71940158
i know of it but have never listened. i've spent more time with the dick's picks from around that era, the one from 68 is insane.
>>
Don't you people have a National Forest to go trash or something?
>>
>>71939127
Been getting into them lately. Listened to Live/Dead, Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Where should I go from here?
>>
>>71940224
anthem of the sun and aoxomoxoa are essential studio dead imo

you also need to hear europe 72 before you delve into the more obscure live shit.
from there dicks picks 4, 8, 29 and 33 are good, if you're interested in those.

"two from the vault" is more essential shit from the late 60s period of the band, and "so many roads" is a good retrospective if you want a broad overview of their career.
>>
Fun fact: they're the biggest influence on Greg Ginn, mastermind of Black Flag
>>
>>71940042

This is how it happened for me. Now the Dead are one of my favorite bands.

But its easy to see why /mu/ might hate them.
>>
>>71939127
>be the son of white-collar, upper-middle class parents living in Los Angeles suburb
>move to rural Washington State for college
>meet hippie girl
>start dating hippie girl
>gets me into Grateful Dead
>happiest four years of my life fly by
>break up during last semester
>graduate and get job soon after
>have to move to busy SoCal city for job
>lose all contact with hippie girl

I sometimes play Brokedown Palace or Jerry's last time performing So Many Roads if I really feel like crying, but I generally avoid listening to Grateful Dead because they remind me of a happier, simpler time and how I'll never be so carefree again.
>>
File: Bozo.jpg (721KB, 872x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Bozo.jpg
721KB, 872x1280px
>>71939127
Saw my first GD show in 1981 saw my last NYE 1987/8 (Ticket to New year DVD)

saw about 100 shows between the GD and JGB.. love that music but I know of no more hypocritical assholes than the deadheads.
>>
File: grateful dead.gif (13KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
grateful dead.gif
13KB, 299x299px
The Grateful Dead are the greatest American rock band of all time.

Who can even compete?
>>
>>71939151
>beer commercial rock
I really shouldn't have laughed so hard at this
>>
>>71939127
I'm not usually into long-winded, overindulgent rock bands, but I love me some Dead. Quite a lot of their music is shit, but just as much of it is incredible. They've got way too much material out there and in my decade or so of liking them I've hardly scratched the surface, but Workingman's Dead, Live/Dead, and Europe '72 are thoroughly fantastic albums.

As for the culture: lame as fuck, obviously, but I can't deny that I see the appeal in following your favorite band across the country and getting fucked up at their shows every other night.
>>
American beauty and workingman's dead are God tier
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.