[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes music sound good or bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: d_L8b_A.png (69KB, 402x366px) Image search: [Google]
d_L8b_A.png
69KB, 402x366px
title

what do you look for in a song?

labels aside, how do you know if a song is good or bad?
>>
>>71908724
There's no real universal answer for that.

But actually most of western music answer to a bunch of pre established criteria that were typified as "nice" by classical composers around 500 years ago. you would have to study a good deal of music theory to understand them.

Also, most people are uneducated musically and just learn to like what they hear during an emotional state
>>
It's hard to say. Sometimes a song just irritates you for a reason you can't explain.

t. music either speaks to you or it doesn't and there's not a clear-cut scientific explanation for it
>>
>>71909968
>t. music either speaks to you or it doesn't and there's not a clear-cut scientific explanation for it
actually, music theory can pinpoint exactly what is the stuff you find enjoyable in 99%
>>
>>71910066
Sounds like pseudoscience to me.
>>
>>71910124
that's because everyone likes to think that his shitty comercial music handtailored to be liked by lesser minds ist " LE EBIN SPECIAL MASTER SOUL SEARCHING DISCOVERY OF THE WORLD DADDY WHY DONT YOU GET IT?!?!?!?!"

and not actually a very crude interpretation of a small small part of strict rigid laws of harmony that were established by people much much smarter than them 500 years ago
>>
>>71908724
contextual dynamics
>>
>>71909962
>Also, most people are uneducated musically and just learn to like what they hear during an emotional state

this to the maximax, most normies just think whatever shit they heard in their teens is good, once they get older they say anything else is shit and the old stuff was good. They get some slut preggos, then they put them in a pine box and the cycle repeats... forever
>>
>>71908724
>what do you look for in a song?
purpose
>labels aside, how do you know if a song is good or bad?
experience
>>
>>71908724
sad chords
>>
If it sounds good and I like it.
>>
File: 537975397.png (411KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
537975397.png
411KB, 500x503px
>did the """""critics""""" like it???
>>
nasal white boy vocals and horns
>>
File: PqD9V8km_400x400.png (313KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
PqD9V8km_400x400.png
313KB, 400x400px
Just like we measure light travel by light speed, we measure bad music by biebs. If a song has too many biebs in it, then it's bad. That's why you when you hear a Nikelback song you cringe; it's your body trying to kill yourself. This is also why teenagers like shitty music, their bieb receptors haven't fully developed yet.
>>
>>71910372
I don't like most music I heard in my teens.
>>
What makes Radiohead so good?
>>
I like stuff that sounds cool.
>>
>>71908724
Substance
>>
>>71913026
I'm still trying to figure that out, but somehow I do like what they do
>>
>>71908724

There is no such thing as good or bad music, only what you like and don't like. In order for something have positive and negative aspects it requires an objective quality and for music, there's no real concrete definition as to what it even is other than the fact that involves sound. Music is entirely subjective.

Consider a table. A triangle would make a bad table, it fails in the basic functionality of a table, the definition of a table. It has no flat surface to place things on. You have something to compare it to, the properties of the idea of a table and you can therefore call it better or worse than other tables. This does not exist with music, the only thing you can compare it to is other music and what other peoples opinions of it are.

Some will argue about the genius of bach, all the amazing technicalities and complexity of his harmony and contrapuntal motion, and try to say because it's difficult or important it has more merit but you can scream at people till you a blue in the face, they'll still call it shit and consider lil wayne the greatest artist who ever lived and their argument is just as valid
>>
>>71911935
That's why you're here
>>
>>71911615
nice jacksfilms reference lad
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.