[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is actually the greatest thing I've ever heard.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: Mingus_Black_Saint.jpg (41KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mingus_Black_Saint.jpg
41KB, 300x300px
This is actually the greatest thing I've ever heard.
>>
But thats not this
>>
>>71903803
look at this faggot though

>Oh yeah man, tranquility
>I am at peace
>Everyone must love themselves before they can love one another
>Buddha
>I am meditating
>Once you realize that material possessions are meaningless you can transcend

what a bitch
>>
>>71903803
This
>>
>>71903839
Don't worry. That album was just an attempt to sell jazz to the hippy psych-rock LSD crowd. And people apparently still fall for it today.

People who actually like jazz think Karma is a joke.
>>
>>71903803
>>71903862
ty anons i will listen to this too

>>71903839
kek
>>
>>71903888
so it's only bad because of marketing? yikes
>>
>>71903768
awesome, it might be the best jazz record ever made. Better than Bitches Brew, more engaging than Kind of Blue, less haphazard than A Love Supreme.

It's a work of genius, and a work of art
>>
>>71903888
Yeah you're right pharoah sanders was very concerned about making sure the jazz music industry could capatalize on the hippy movement
>>
>>71903918
I'll admit i have pretty little experience with jazz but i just love how it has all these different melodies that it develops and then comes back to them all at the end with the final track, its like proper story telling with just the music
>>
Am I the only one that immediately thinks of Bunk from The Wire when I see this cover?
>>
>>71903888
Leaving aside cultural aspects it's still great music. I love jazz and I like Karma a lot.

I'm sure it gets respect even amongst trained musicians for bringing Eastern tonalities into Jazz music
>>
>>71903911
Still more reasoning than I've ever heard anyone give for it being good. I'm listening if you'd like to give it a shot but my guess is you'll just call me some silly name or maybe drop a couple buzzwords at best.
>>
>>71903945
I would check out Pithecanthropus Erectus next. It's almost a decade earlier and does similar work compositionally what with the developing motifs
>>
>>71903964
Which specific eastern tonalities did it bring into jazz?
>>
>>71903985
man it just sounds good
>>
>>71903999
Okay, ty for the rec
>>
>>71904008
your mom pussy
>>
>>71903953
not as of now
>>
>>71904008
I'm not educated enough to talk about keys but whatever two chords he extends throughout, and the collection instruments, are based on indian music
>>
>>71903768
Kind of Blue > A Love Supreme > Black Saint
>>
>>71904062
Wow, sounds like real groundbreaking stuff. Definitely not watered-down jazz made to appeal to rock fans who would happily enjoy anything that they were told had some vague "Eastern influence"
>>
>>71904112
Black Saint > Kind of Blue > A Love Supreme
>>
>>71903768
>>71903803
Is this the rockist jazz general?
>>
>>71904232
But don't you like "Eastern tonalities" man?
>>
>>71904112
>>71904216
Black Saint > A Love Supreme > Kind of Blue
>>
>>71904232
That's every jazz thread.
>>
>>71904232
>hurr anything besides muh bland white criss cross boring shitty album covers is rockist jazz
>>
>>71904141
this guy fucks
>>
>>71903768
>>71903803
>tfw just getting into jazz and these are some of my favorites so far
>suddenly /mu/ tells me they're bad
w-what should I listen to instead?
>>
>>71904508
No one who isn't retarded thinks Black Saint is bad
>>
>>71904508
they're not bad just entry level
>>
>>71904285
This is correct
>>
>>71904508
Black Saint is a great album
Karma is bad

I honestly never saw the point in listening to Pharoah when recordings of Coltrane exist
>>
>>71904469
lol you seem mad
>>
I knew /mu/'s taste in jazz is pretty bad, but about the guys putting Kind of Blue above literally any mingus album need to listen to more jazz cause there's so much more than the 5 jazz artists that they probably listen to
>>
>>71903985
I'm with you. I wouldn't say it's trash, but it doesn't have it.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.