[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to listen to pic related, what am I in for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (155KB, 1200x1084px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
155KB, 1200x1084px
About to listen to pic related, what am I in for?
>>
The best piece of music ever provided you haven't already heard anything by Mozart.
>>
A 7.5/10 jazz album.
>>
>>71900718
It's kind of blue.
>>
fancy elevator music to tap your feet to
>>
not a big jazz fan, but ive heard its more accessible than bitches brew but not as good.
>>
A great album that you're going to call good, and then listen to 5 or 6 more jazz albums and call it overrated token jazz album for rockists, and then after becoming actually seasoned in jazz realize it was actually god-tier all along.
>>
>>71900772

You're a moron if you actually did this.
>>
>>71900772
this desu.

all the tracks were recorded in one fucking take. it's amazing. Miles' phrasing on the opening solo of So What is incredible. You have to also take into account that it was one of the first jazz albums coming out of bebop that the solo sounded like a person talking. It's like the trumpet is a part of Miles voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dou3aSZmEg0 watch this if you want to know more about why it is so great, and you might learn something more about jazz too
>>
>>71900841
plenty of people do this, so not sure what you're on about.
>>
>>71900745
whats 10/10?
>>
>>71900862
Shit, The Shape of Jazz to Come was released the same year? I thought it was several years later.
>>
OP here. Really digging the vibes so far, it's very comfy jazz
>>
>>71900882
nah dawg. 59 was incredible for the genre.
>>
>>71900894
y u trippin bruh
>>
File: niceguy.png (83KB, 414x371px) Image search: [Google]
niceguy.png
83KB, 414x371px
>>71900894
>>
>>71900718
a big of a letdown..it's a beautiful but lowkey album...just very introspective compared to music around the same time
>>
>>71900918
I'm sorry did I say something wrong
>>
>>71901026
trip code dadjoke
>>
>>71901063
Oh I'm retarded. Just tripping to stand out so people know I'm OP I guess
>>
Assuming you don't listen to much jazz, likely an enjoyable and relaxing experience but nothing too mind blowing. Otherwise, it might just sound like bland soup and possibly outright boring.
If you already listen to some jazz, classical or something similar already, it could be an incredibly powerful and emotional experience looking into the souls of some of the greatest musicians of all time at their peak.
>>
>>71901091
this post didn't go the way i thought it would at all considering we're on /mu/
>>
>>71900772
This. So hard.
It's such a mind blowing album, but hard to appreciate to the fullest without acclimatising to the music a little. Took me 2-3 years of exploring and listening jazz to really appreciate how incredible it is.
>>
>>71901114
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm >>71901141
And that was my experience getting into jazz. Didn't hit me that hard at first but now it's one of my favourite albums.
>>
>>71900877
bills evans live at the village
>>
>>71901337
god tier taste
no jazz bass player has even touched the playing on that album
>>
>>71901251
good thing. i was honestly expecting you to end with, if you already listen to some jazz then it's fucking normie numale pleb shit. since that seems to be the pervasive attitude towards 99% of classic albums outside of their genre specific threads.
>>
It's "Jimmy Cobbs clinic on groove" the album.
>>
File: jazz2.0.jpg (2MB, 1485x950px) Image search: [Google]
jazz2.0.jpg
2MB, 1485x950px
>>71901337
great album. his Conversations with Myself is awesome as well. here's my chart.
>>
>>71901337
>>71901375
Scott is my spirit animal so I couldn't agree with ye more about Bill at the Vanguard. Kind of Blue, is definitely also a 10/10 and Bill's second best performance, first being Vanguard 61.
>>71901381
There's a few of us fogie traditionalists going around the place anon. Don't lose hope.
>>
>>71901375
yeh my dad gave me his bill evans collection a couple of years ago on recommendation.
im just gutted I never got to see my grandad play jazz piano
>>
>>71901400
Good choices, but you gotta branch out more. Theres more to jazz than miles coltrane mingus and monk my man

Fuck with Sam Rivers
>>
>>71901400
I seen this chart round jazz threads before. Mingus Ah Um is brilliant. His best attempt at channelling his clear Duke influences into hard-bop IMO. Are you not a fan of the Black Saint?
>>
>>71901867
Ah fuck I didnt see it right fuckin there, my bad
>>
>>71901867
i is but i like mingus ah um more.

>>71901752
well yeah but it's a top 50.
>>
>>71900718

its pretty fucking sublime.

A nice 2 channel set up with killer speaks, killer wine and killer weed...and a pretty lady or 2 and you will be groovin it.
>>
>>71900718
It's really, really accessible.
>>
I don't suppose anyone has the old jazzthreadguy recommendation and jazz history list?
>>
File: jtg essentials.jpg (1MB, 1536x2976px) Image search: [Google]
jtg essentials.jpg
1MB, 1536x2976px
>>71902950
Here ya go.
>>
File: jtgchartextended.jpg (2MB, 3000x4593px) Image search: [Google]
jtgchartextended.jpg
2MB, 3000x4593px
>>71903006
And the companion chart that fills in some gaps and stuff like the lack of Monk or guitarists on the 1st chart.
>>
>>71903006
Aw shit man, thanks.
>>
>>71903006
>>71903032
I never really liked these charts that much but I do like to read his reviews sometimes
https://rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy
>>
>>71903077
He and they will forever have a place in my 4chan memories for introducing me to Ray Barretto's Indestructible.
>>
>>71900862
>recorded in one fucking take
Wut? first of all that's pretty much the idea of recorded jazz (no overdubs) and there were a bunch of different takes, they're bonus tracks on the reissues
>>
OP here. Finished the album, it was very relaxing. I'm not an expert so I can give a professional review but this is probably about a 4.5-5/5 for me. where should I go from here
>>
FUN FACT: Miles Davis considers this album a failed experiment. He was trying to make an album inspired by traditional African arrangements and specifically an African ballet troupe he saw.
>>
>>71903147
Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley and Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans if you want more that is "relaxing" and low-key

Giant Steps by John Coltrane and Moanin by Art Blakey if you want a little more energy

Also Blue Train. Pay attention to which solos you like best and then start looking into more of those players.
>>
>>71903207
Thanks for the advice :)
>>
>>71903121
the main tracks are from the first take. they recorded multiple takes but the first take is the one they used.

a lot of times the later takes get used since they have ideas that they've already explored and so they can expand on those. these are first time ideas.

watch the damn movie i posted.
>>
>>71903077
holy shit
had no idea he had rym
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.