[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is DrukQs not viewed as highly as his other work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

>>
it's silly
>>
>>71887806
In what way
>>
>>71887732
Because most song titles are unpronounceable
>>
id kill a man to own this on vinyl
>>
Brainlets can't understand this masterpiece.
>>
>>71887732
It's more of a mixtape than a cohesive album.
>>
>>71887732
weird

even for Aphex weird
>>
File: keko.png (169KB, 1860x3156px) Image search: [Google]
keko.png
169KB, 1860x3156px
>>71887732

REAL ANSWER:

It came a bit later in his career (he'd been meaningfully active since the early 90s), and so once the double album rolled round, the critics felt like they had a pretty good bead on him and were in a good position to do the critic-y thing and dismiss this newest work as a bit tryhard and boring. The pitchfork 5.5 (I suspect that this one single rating has much to do with the historical conception of the album's quality) has always been stupid and wrong, in particular. Upon review, I see that the irrelevant Rolling Stone also gave a FAKE REVIEW. Many such cases! Sad!

In truth, it is not /sublime/ like the earlier stuff but there's real art here which the critics felt obliged not to recognize at the time, in order to dig on an established artist a bit, take him down a peg. The irony is that the critics liked Syro much better while Drukqs is clearly the better album.

The third point worth making is that youth culture in music in general is bound up with people actually trying new things and being creative on the first few albums, and once you've been around for several years (if you even stick around) then people want to chew you up and spit you out. And there may even be good reason for that (your creativity lowers with age).

Aphex's recent output put me onto a jag of rediscovering the old stuff I have on CD, and going all autistic (pic related). /HE WAS INCREDIBLY FUCKING PROLIFIC FROM 1991-1996./, and not just viper-mixtape-tier either, like actually releasing dozens of things across various projects and labels. It's really crazy once you take it all in.
>>
Like every double album, filler

But when it peaks is pure gold
>>
>>71887732
Because p4k shat on it
>>
>>71889074
i mentioned this in a thread the other day.

about a year ago I came across a copy(s) for $40

sweet right?

wrong.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a copy of this that wasn't played to fucking hell.

an average person who was into vinyl in 01 was not listening to aphex twin, so the only people where were buying this was deejays.

and I dont know if you were around (very unlikely) for the late 90's early 00's party scene, but taking care of records was not at the top of most deejays list.

a deejay friend explained to me when he switch to cdj units
>you know those legendary deejays we see, they play those records. Those records are legendary too, set after set, spilled beer, sweat, being beaten on in their flight cases
something along those lines and it had me thinking.

tl;dr - you are really unlikely to find these records in decent shape, and for the price you will pay even for decent condition wont be worth their sound over mp3 or cd.
>>
>>71887732
I don't know OP, it's probably my favorite album by him
>>
>>71887732
This album was intended for people to listen through and then only keep their favorite songs, deleting whatever they don't enjoy or see as filler. And there's a bunch of songs.
>>
>>71889095
>>71890637
What's it like to be literally retarded?
>>71887806
It's probably his least silly work next to Syro and SAW.
>>71889095
What the fuck do you even think that means?
>>71889230
This is the root cause, faggots like this can't get into it because they should be listening to radio pop
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.