[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people exist right now who believe this is a good, sad album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 8

File: a0249360790_16.jpg (57KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a0249360790_16.jpg
57KB, 700x700px
>people exist right now who believe this is a good, sad album
Literal Bottom hanging fruit of sad composition
>>
I enjoy it from a conspiratorial angle. This album is not what it seems.
>>
Jesus guys give it a break. The man lost his wife to cancer. He never asked anyone to freak out over this album. Stop trying to make it harder for him.
>>
the constant negative memeing of this album is proof that anyone calling anything "meme music" should be fucking hanged
>>
It's sad that this album about a man losing his wife has ruffled so many of your little underdeveloped hipster feathers. Newsflash: This album is not for you. You need life experience and the ability to empathise in order to fully appreciate this album for what it is: A man dealing with a loss that none of the meme posters on here can appreciate. They are therefore butthurt that they cannot fathom the pain caused by losing your soul mate. Angry, underage children yet to experience true love or loss should be ashamed of themselves for mocking somebody eloquent and brave enough to try and express these emotions through his music.
>>
>>71875524

This, all the threads joking about Phil murdering his wife what the actual holy fuck is wrong with you people
>>
>>71875430
you probably just don't get it because you are a pleb
>>
>>71875430
one of the most boring albums I've heard in a while
>>
>>71875430
I'm glad this album is weeding out all the edgy teenagers on this site. You don't have to love it, but if you can't appreciate it you are probably sociopathic in a literal sense to some degree.
>>
Honestly four tracks into it. It's just simple, barren acoustic guitar strummed to uncreative, cheesy lyrics trying it's damnest to be vulnerable and raw.

This isn't captivating without context. And even so, it only makes it desperate and cloying.

You didn't do your wife justice Phil. Try again.
>>
>>71876349
>>71875524
or maybe they just don't like the album for whatever reason. Holding someone an emotional hostage because of it is kinda retarded. It's shaming people for having a different opinion. Not everyone is equally emotionally involved in other peoples lives. And that's ok. Doesn't make them autistic/sociopath/psycho/etc. This isn't all geared at you specifically, just a sentiment I have reading these threads.
Obviously the other side of the coin (people claiming he's cashing in on his wife's death, wtf) is bad as well. I don't get the hate for the record, but if someone can't honestly say "meh, I didn't really like it" without people callling him a bunch of names, then that says something about your emotional maturity as well.
>>
>>71875430
literally benji 2.0
>>
A little too scared to listen to the whole album cause I don't wanna ruin my day but I gotta say I legitimately like "Real Death" front to back
>>
>>71875524
but this too
>>71877080

That being said this album made me publicly lose my shit. Quiet sobbing in public (on some must be raining shit) isn't something that comes easily to most dudes and this album coaxed it out of me. Not out of raw musicality but more so out of the truth of this album. Phil genuinely speaking the truth of losing someone you love permanently. Shit bangs just on that level. If you don't get it you won't get it. But you don't have to. Feels stupid i have to include that corollary
>>
The album consists entirely of Phil's guitar, voice and drum machine and features all the usual characteristics without ever matching up to The Glow, Pt. 2. One has to accept that Phil's songs necessarily require further augmentation, for whilst his own accompaniments are good the songs are not sufficiently strong to stand up without any embroidery at all. 'Soria Moria' makes it, so does 'Toothbrush/Trash' – but maybe it's time Mr. Elverum stopped acting so mysteriously and started getting something properly organised for himself.
>>
I'm fucking alpha bitches. That means I DON'T cry when I listen to a fucking song, I would much rather GET LAID or PUMP IRON. So naturally, when I heard this "Mountain Eerie" guy I was like "what the shit bruh". This is some gay ass singing. Can't believe he expects a brother like me to PAY for this. Like get over it bro
>>
Okay, I'm listening to it again.

First time through it sounded like a guy reading his sad journals in public while an inconsiderate guy in the audience strummed a guitar.
>>
>>71877365
when you said "brother like me," you immediately turned from a 16 year-old kid on the internet into a fully-grown black man
>>
>>71877184
They were both alright but benji is far better
>>
>>71876325

MUSIC IS FUN AND IM AN ADULT
>>
>>71877380
Not true at all. The first thing I noticed about this album is the guitar tone. Phil has truly mastered recording. If anything this album is foreshadowing for his next release, however long that is down the road. I'm hoping that once he isn't so emotionally depleted he'll come out with another masterpiece.
>>
There's value in an album filled with spontaneity and intense emotion, regardless of how long the person spent ironing everything out and perfecting it. Also fuck you.
>>
>>71877606
>fuck you
thnk
>>
That's your problem OP, the album wasn't meant to be good or bad, and I'm not quoting Fandango, all you need is a bit of common sense to realize that Phil is lost and shattered, he's just assembling his despair into music as a monument to his wife.
>>
>>71877365
I'm fucking alpha bitches > I'm fucking alpha, bitches
>>
If you can't empathize with this album then congrats sounds like you've had an easy life.
>>
>>71877759
>it's not SUPPOSED to be good it's just the way it is because phil's fucked up
>9/10
pathetic
>>
terrible bandcamp-core only liked because the artist's wife died
>>
>>71878789
>If I don't like it, it's not good
Stop listening to music
>>
>>71878741
I empathise with Phil Elvrum for his wife's death
This album is bad
>>
>>71878836
>This album is bad
Why?
>>
>>71878829
it's terrible though, it's bland singing with upfront lyrics over uninspired boring guitar chords
>>
wow, this board really is full of pathetic losers
kill yourselves with your shitty muh sad indie folk garbage
>>
>>71878836
If you could relate to the feelings on this album then you would like it. It sounds like you probably just can't, therefore, you don't like the album. That doesn't make it a bad album.
>>
>>71878885
"the music will be good if you feel bad because his wife died"
sad
>>
>>71878877
looks like your autism is especially bad today
>>
>>71878865
>it's bland singing
It fits the mood, so it's good
>upfront lyrics
Which fit's the material and the theme
>uninspired boring guitar chords
That gently support the lyrics,. which is warranted.

Any real criticism?
>>71878900
>still missing the point
>>71878902
Lack of empathy is a sign of autism
>>
>>71878900
feeling bad is called sympathizing dumbass. sympathizing is useless. Relating to the music is a whole other thing.
>>
>>71878915
>it's supposed to be boring because of the """"""mood""""""
I gave you criticisms, but you keep reflecting them because his wife died, which all of a sudden makes the album perfect

>>71878927
good music doesn't require any """sympathizing""" to be good
stop trying to protect phil's feelings by saying the album is good, he can handle it
>>
>>71878955
>good music doesn't require any """sympathizing""" to be good
>what is context? gee idg
Yikes
>>71878955
>if I don't understand his emotions, it's boring
Huh
>because his wife died, which all of a sudden makes the album perfect
If you knew what that actually felt like, you'd realize it was perfect.

Thanks for playing though
>>
>>71878985
Context means nothing if the music itself is shit
>If you knew what that actually felt like, you'd realize it was perfect.
>you need to have a dead wife to appreciate this album
again, pathetic. a dead wife, once again, does not make an album good.
>>
im pretty disappointed with fantano and p4k for sucking phils dick so hard, a mans wife dying does not magically make an album better
>>
>>71879007
>music itself is shit
How do you know it's shit?
>you need to have a dead wife to appreciate this album
How is this wrong?
>>
>>71879029
>How do you know it's shit?
have you listened to it or just read articles about his dead wife?
>>
>>71879070
>have you listened to
Yep

Now answer the question.
>>
>>71879085
I already answered it previously, try reading my posts next time, but I'll expand:
-bland production
-rushed, unvaried songwriting
-only instrumentation is a boring acoustic guitar playing a few random chords with occasional synths that are super out of place
-lyrics that have no meter or rhyme, just bland sentences about death
-no musicianship in either the singing or previously mentioned instrumentation
-sounds like it was written in a week to sell copies asap

can't believe people rank this mess anywhere near the s/t album
>>
>>71879145
>>71879145
>-bland production
See: context
>-rushed, unvaried songwriting
>-only instrumentation is a boring acoustic guitar playing a few random chords with occasional synths that are super out of place
>-lyrics that have no meter or rhyme, just bland sentences about death
>-no musicianship in either the singing or previously mentioned instrumentation
see: context
>-sounds like it was written in a week to sell copies asap
see: context

Now do you understand?
>>
>>71879174
lmao, am I being trolled
>>
>>71879181
>Context means nothing if the music itself is shit
>I think it's shit because I ignored context
This is ignoring the fact that half of your criticisms are irrelevant
>>
>>71879204
so the quality of an album isn't based off how good the music is, but what happened to the artist before he made it? do you hear yourself right now?
>>
>>71879145
>albums need to have slick production to be good
>albums need to be varied and non-cohesive to be good
>if it's sparse it's bad
>lyrics need to have meter or rhyme
>if there's no wanky guitar solos, there's no musicianship
Spotted the metal pleb
>>
>>71879258
>the music doesn't matter, only the suffering of the artist counts
I hate metal, stop projecting
>>
>>71879233
You don't know if it's good unless you consider context. Haven't you listened to music before?
>>71879272
The suffering of the artist informs the music.
>>
>>71879272
>stop projecting
How am I projecting? Or did you just run out of things to say and randomly chose a buzzword?
>>
>>71879282
>"hey anonymous, let me play this fugue for you"
>"what do you think?"

>I'm not sure, did the composer's daughter die before he wrote it? if so, I love it, if not, it's bad

Does it work the other way, too? If the artist is a bad person, is the music bad? If Bach killed a man, is his music now trash?

>>71879301
>he hates this album so he must be a metalfag
the only one with buzzwords here is you, friend.
>>
>>71875430
lol he's even said in an interview that it's barley music. He manages to take you into his world of constantly feeling that everything seems to be be symbolic of his wife's passing, only to realize that it's all meaningless, and he does so without the o'l , Stuff means other things technique (metaphors), of "good" songwriting. Still, it's not entertaining, so to say it is a good album is in this case objectively wrong. Music entertains, this does not. It is a good...something though.
>>
File: 1488891147481.jpg (10KB, 232x194px) Image search: [Google]
1488891147481.jpg
10KB, 232x194px
>>71878829
>Dont discuss music on a music board
the "just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean its not good" argument is proof of blind plebeianity
>>
>>71879348
>>I'm not sure, did the composer's daughter die before he wrote it? if so, I love it, if not, it's bad
Are you intentionally ignoring how to critically analyze art? Or did you never learn it initially?
>If the artist is a bad person, is the music bad?
Well, is the music specifically about the artist's bad behavior?
>the only one with buzzwords here is you, friend.
Ooops you didn't answer the question. Try again.
>>
>>71879381
>"I don't like it" is a valid music discussion
Talk about blind plebeianity
>>
>>71875430
>nu-/mu/ can't grasp an album about actual depression or loss if it isn't glamorized and fashionable like Hospice or C&L

probably one of the more honest sad albums i've listened to in a while. I'm not totally surprised that high-schoolers don't get it, though
>>
>>71879390
>Are you intentionally ignoring how to critically analyze art? Or did you never learn it initially?
I've taken multiple music theory & appreciation courses, thanks for asking. I don't recall learning how to incorporate an artist's suffering into our critiques of the art itself, however. I wonder why that is.
>>
I don't get how people can be so insensitive with this album.
I don't get easily moved by songs and i cried like a fucking bitch to almost every song in this. I almost couldn't listen to the whole thing.
It completely baffles me how people can call this "boring".
I guess i'm happy for you if you have no idea what grieving and loss feel like
This is an extremely powerful album
>>
>>71879417
Prove it. Chart out the first five songs on the album
>>
>>71879455
Hell no, one listen was more than enough. Not even to prove to some random /mu/tant that I know more than him.
>>
AntiWarhol liked it, so you're a tasteless retard if you didn't.
>>
>>71879442
this
>>
>>71879474
antiwarhol (and normal warhol, for that matter) is a self-obsessed tasteless hack
>>
>>71879466
>dat damage control

Also
>I totally took classes in art appreciation!
>context, what's that?
>>
>>71879466
Don't be a little bitch
>>
All I got out of it is some guy talks over some generic sad guitar.
>>
>>71879490
I can send you pictures of notes and scores I analyzed if you really care that much. Context was discussed a little, but it should never overpower discussion of the actual music, which is what's going on here.
>>
>>71879417
Context always matters in art, you dumb fuck
>>
>>71879489
you've just outed yourself as an embryo

He's more knowledgeable than this entire thread combined

If you disliked the album, you officially have ZERO taste
>>
>how would you rate this wake?
>why would I do that?
>well the guy recorded it and is selling copies
>but I don't like wakes, they're not fun
>It not supposed to be fun
>Ok but I still don't like it
>Dude you have no empathy
>My mom died when I was younger so I get it
>No you don't if you did you'd like it
>K
>>
>>71879521
stop bootlicking some tasteless contrarian on the internet please

>>71879517
to a degree, but not so much that a dead wife makes a shitty album amazing.
>>
>>71879514
>I can send you pictures of notes and scores I analyzed if you really care that much
Do a roman numeral analysis of the first two songs on the album.
>Context was discussed a little, but it should never overpower discussion of the actual music
You didn't bother looking at either though
>>
>>71875524
Go away Phil
>>
>>71879544
Oh more circular logic, nice
>>
>>71879544
listen I get you're angry because you've been outed as a pleb

There is no way you have better taste than AntiWarhol. Admit it, you didn't get the album
>>
>>71878741
wow a person in your life dies, your life sure is fucking difficult
Guess what, literally everyone in your family older than you will most likely die before you, doesn't mean your life will get any more difficult you moron
>>
>>71879547
I'm not listening again to this terrible album that's all I V I V (my wife's dead my wife's dead) ii (oooooh she's dead)

>>71879571
Namedropping a RYMer, you sure showed me
>>
>>71878846
I didn't like the album mainly for the lyrics. Phil isn't even really making the lyrics fit the music. It's basically more of an autobiography than an album. If he was more artful in his approach to his lyrics, it would probably affect me more, but they're really one dimensional, and it makes the whole album sound less genuine than it actually is.
>>
>>71879007

>Unironically not understanding how empathy works

Literal autism holy shit
>>
>>71879620
I understand empathy, but it doesn't make an album good.
>>
>>71879596
>terrible album that's all I V I V
Oh, is that your final answer? Because that's not correct. I doubt you actually know music theory, or have studied art criticism beyond surfing deviantart for anime
>>71879610
>I didn't like the album
Not what I'm asking. Try again.
>>
This album is just an idiot strumming a guitar shitily. The Glow Pt. 2 is the same thing.

Never got why people liked this guy.
>>
>>71879517
Contextually you suck a metric ton of dicks as well, but that doesn't mean it is so, you dingdong.
Contextual meaning is entirely subjective and basing a final verdict on that is utterly moronic.
>>
>>71879633
If you had empathy, you'd understand why it's good.

Also, you are not empathetic anyways.
>>71879654
Not an argument
>>
>>71879634
I know it's not correct, it was a joke, lmao. I do know a bit, again, if you want, I can post my old notes and scores, but I won't bother if you'll just ignore them anyways.

>>71879652
The Glow Pt. 2 is actually good, this isn't
>>
>>71879634
I'm not the guy you originally responded to. I'm just explaining why most people think it's bad.
>>
>>71879661
>it's not an argument because I said so
Therefore I can claim this album is not good, because I said so.
>>
>>71879700
>I'm not the guy you originally responded to.
I didn't presume you were you were
>I'm just explaining why most people think it's bad.
When were you going to do this?
>>71879688
>I do know a bit, again, if you want, I can post random music theory images I pulled off the internet
Stop
>>
>>71879746
Do you want a timestamp, too? At this point you seem to want to avoid the fact that I know more than you.
>>
>>71879731
No, it's not an argument because you have no reasonable evidence to support your claim,m nor have you made any reasonable attempt to logically explain it
>>71879757
>At this point you seem to want to avoid the fact that I know more than you.
Well I've been playing in bands for longer than you've been alive, so this is doubtful.

You also don't know how to evaluate art properly, based on your posts anyways.
>>
File: 1481162406415.jpg (246KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481162406415.jpg
246KB, 900x900px
>>71879652
>This album is just an idiot strumming a guitar shitily.
gonna use this as a criticism of every rock album I don't like from now on
>>
>>71879787
wow you're in a BAND, how cool!!!!!! can I have your autograph?

>not loving an album solely because a dude's wife died = not """evaluating art properly"""
fuck off and learn something
>>
>>71879825
>loving an album solely because a dude's wife died
Quote me where I did that

Also, where are you on the spectrum? be honest
>>
>>71875468
The shitposting about it being thought as not good is ridiculous for sure, however the fact remains that there are valid reasons that this album might not be very great, that said though that doesn't seem to be the point of this album in the first place so what I'm saying about this doesn't really matter anyway.

>>71875484
>anyone calling anything "meme music" should be fucking hanged
yes
>>
>>71879848
Right here:
>>71879174
>>
>>71876349
I can appreciate it for what it is and there's plenty of value in that but at the end of the day it really isn't that great of an album, the entire thing seems sort of flat and the message/lyrics never really meet each other halfway, it doesn't really seemed very inspired. Like I said though that was never the point of it
>>
>>71879878
Sorry, I'm not seeing where I mentioned if I loved the album at all in that post, or that you need to love it because of any specific reason.

Try again?
>>
>>71879917
So you were trying to argue it wasn't good? Unless you ran out of ideas and are trying to argue semantics about words like "love."
>>
>>71879936
>So you were trying to argue it wasn't good?
Oh no, it is excellent
>Unless you ran out of ideas
I'm still focused on this one idea you can't seem to grasp.
>>
>>71879787
>you have no reasonable evidence that opinions are subjective

Holy shit you're a fucking moron
>>
>>71879971
>opinions are things that magically happen, with no rhyme or reason
How do you function in the world? Do you live in a group home?
>>
>>71879968
I understand what context is, but context doesn't make an album. This album is shit. Now go work on your homework.
>>
>>71879971
I thought it was just a guy baiting but that line suggests it might not be. It reeks of "I took philosophy 101".
>>
>>71880007
>This album is shit because I ignored the context
Wow I guess art just exists in a vacuum for your entertainment, right?
>>
>>71879996
You're claiming that opinions are objective and MUH CONTEXT you fucking moron, instead of realizing that opinions are completely subjective and objectivity is impossible.
This album is shit and you can say otherwise, but that doesn't make it so.
>>
>>71880052
>context is the ONLY THING that matters about an album
>I'm purposefully misinterpreting you so I can continue to pretend you don't know what context is and try to uphold my one final failing argument
>>
>>71880058
>You're claiming that opinions are objective
Quote me where I said that
>opinions are completely subjective
See >>71879996

Also
>opinions are subjective
>but mine is right and yours is wrong
Yikes
>>
>>71880084
>>context is the ONLY THING that matters about an album
Well, what else matters?

>I can't properly explain myself
>it's your fault!
Stop
>>
>>71880109
>Well, what else matters?
The music, you idiot.

>>71880109
I'm explaining myself perfectly fine, you just refuse to understand.
>>
>>71880147
>The music
What about it though?

>I'm explaining myself perfectly fine
Oh, so OK you are trained musician who doesn't listen to the compositions, and you took critical art classes but ignore context?

Are you Piero Scaruffi?
>>
>>71880086
>Quote me where I said that
Your entire argument consists of nothing but "this album is good because I said so and context"

>but mine is right and yours is wrong
Good job missing the entire point you chromosomian

Context matters fuck-all when it comes to opinions
Say you have a blank canvas
The """"artist""""" says that it represents how sad and empty he is inside (boo fucking hoo, your wife died)
Contextually appropriate, yes, but does that make it a good piece of art?
Absolutely fucking not

tl;dr you're a pretentious retard
>>
>>71878865
You sound like you'd enjoy some overly complex tryhard wankery. Go indulge yourself and stay the fuck out of this shit.
>>
>my wife died gimme good scores
And everyone took the bait
>>
>>71880193
No, I dislike that stuff too.

>>71880185
I already went over why the album sucks, but according to you none of it matters because his wife died. Before you say you never said that, you said it multiple times right here: >>71879174
Are you still pretending that I ignore context? How desperate are you getting?
>>
>>71879007
You need to actually drop your fucking balls before you get on /mu/
>>
>>71880232
hey nice argument there friendo
>>
>>71875524
>you need a certain intelligent's and life experiments to appreciate this album
i like the album but its not 10/10 SOAT album people are hyping it up to be. I emphasize with his plight but that simply doesn't make the album a perfect album or one without criticism, the instrumentation is bland and the delivery of the lyrics although show desolation and misery come across sometimes as flat.

there could also be the fact that this album is for phil's family only and we've gotten the privilege to listen to it
>>
>>71880250
ok, context actually means something
>>
File: jelly.gif (2MB, 595x921px) Image search: [Google]
jelly.gif
2MB, 595x921px
it's one of the best albums of the decade.

the only people who dont understand this are virgins who have no idea what its like to be in love.

phil was living the actual dream and it was all taken away from him. this is like a real life document of the story of job.

not surprised there are lots of dense underagers on /mu/
>>
>>71880187
>Your entire argument consists of nothing but "this album is good because I said so and context"
Quote me where I said that
>Good job missing the entire point
Oh, then explain it. Try to articulate this time.
And remember, "it's bad" because I don't like it" isn't a valid argument
>Context matters fuck-all when it comes to opinions
So... you think the Magic Opinion Fairies just come and put thoughts into your brain?
>""""artist"""""
Stopped reading right there.

You have never studied a word of music theory or art criticism have you?
>(boo fucking hoo, your wife died)
Lack of empathy is a sign of autism
>Contextually appropriate, yes, but does that make it a good piece of art?
Absolutely, yes. Because what you like or not has nothing to do with artistic intentions
>>71880229
>I already went over why the album sucks,
And I exposed your meaningless criticisms here >>71879258 and you haven't responded. Care too? I would love to know why sparse music is inherently bad and you think there's a lack of musicianship, although there are instruments playing at all times
>Are you still pretending that I ignore context?
Yep, because you just said

If the limit of your observation is "it's sad music beaus he's sad" you should just give up, and you arent actually really looking at the art and how the context applies
>>
>>71880309
>typing in that dumbass double-enter style that migrated from tumblr
>"the only people who dont understand this are virgins who have no idea what its like to be in love."
>mentions "underagers"
now guess why I know you're still in middleschool.
>>
>>71879258
>albums need to have slick production to be good

Sooooo, every album before 1980 along with genres like punk/hardcore and noise rock aren't good?
>>
>>71880316
>Are you still pretending that I ignore context?
>Yep, because you just said
I take that into consideration, and find that the album is trash. Many people are only taking that into consideration and proclaiming the album a success.
>>
>>71880316
>Quote me where I said that
>Quote this extremely specific thing from the culmination of all my posts which contextually imply a certain thing

Fuck off, retard

>Oh, then explain it. Try to articulate this time.
Okay, since your brain hasn't developed past that of a preschooler, let me explain it to you nice and simple.
Opinions
are
subjective

>Magic Opinion Fairies
Riiight, just like magic context fairies come and put context on things, or magic cancer fairies kill your wife, you fucking retard.

>Lack of empathy is a sign of autism
Crying over one loss is a sign of autism as well
I've lost more people than you can count, but I don't cry about it every night, because it's a natural thing that just fucking happens

>Because what you like or not has nothing to do with artistic intentions
>I-IT'S MEANT TO BE SHIT BECAUSE I WANTED IT TO BE
>>
>>71880309
stop typing in this horrible double space its uneccesary you wrote 4 sentences
>>
>>71880355
>>71880397
you only have to reply once
>>
>>71880388
>Options are subjective

So, if i make an album of me slapping my dick on a toaster for 20 minutes and 20 people like it, it's just as good as Abbey Road?
>>
>>71880447
considering how bad Abbey Road is, yeah probably
>>
>>71875524
This tbqh famalam
>>
>>71880447
Most likely since beatles is overrated trash
>>
File: index.png (3KB, 340x106px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
3KB, 340x106px
>>71880433
cmon anon
>>
>>71880447
to those 20 people it might be
>>
>>71880485
Why are you pretending to be me
>>
>>71880433
oh go away
>>
>>71880379
What?
>>71880384
>I take that into consideration
No you didn't. You made fun of a guy because his wife died. What's wrong with you?
>Many people are only taking that into consideration and proclaiming the album a success.
>how can people like what I don't like! They must be mistaken
Ugh

>>71880388
>Quote this extremely specific thing from the culmination of all my posts which contextually imply a certain thing
Correct. I'll be waiting. Unless you want to admit in making a strawman?
>Opinions
>are
>subjective
But you can still have a reason why you formed that opinion. Do you not understand your own emotions?
>magic context fairies come and put context on things
Well, yes, that does explain aspects of the album, if you look past (boo fucking hoo, your wife died).
Wow! isn't that amazing! It's like as if the cracked, meandering guitar playing represents his broken psyche! Wow, art is great! If only you could understand that though, huh? Maybe next time...
>Crying over one loss is a sign of autism as well
How so?
>I've lost more people than you can count
Like what? Name 10 of them and how you lost them. Was it your fault?

>I-IT'S MEANT TO BE SHIT BECAUSE I WANTED IT TO BE
>If I don't like it, it's shit!
>>
>>71880503
>>71880511
thats me though
>>
>>71880516
>No you didn't. You made fun of a guy because his wife died. What's wrong with you?
I'm not making fun of anyone, you must be misinterpreting my intentions.
Literally everyone who reviews this album only talks about how it's so sad that his wife died, nobody talks about the (terrible) music itself.
>>
>>71880588
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>71880516
>Correct. I'll be waiting. Unless you want to admit in making a strawman?
Stop moving the goalposts, you tasteless fuck

>But you can still have a reason why you formed that opinion
Because the thing you formulated an opinion about made you feel a very specific thing that you try to put into words
Therefore, it's fucking subjective, you retard

>Wow! isn't that amazing! It's like as if the cracked, meandering guitar playing represents his broken psyche!
Woah, then screamo must be the peak of artistry, I mean the constant screaming just reflects their agony and how broken the world is right???
No, get your head out of your ass, you pretentious fuck.

>How so?
Because everyone dies one day, you imbecile, by crying about it forever you are only crippling yourself and giving yourself an excuse to be a talentless loser.

>Name 10 of them and how you lost them
Several family members died of natural causes, two of them killed themselves
But I don't cry about it, because it was their time to go and changing that is beyond my control
What you have to do is grow up, sit down and realize that shit happens

>Was it your fault?
Was it Philly's fault his wife got cancer?
>>
>>71880615
Great argument!
>>
>>71880475
>>71880465
I honestly fucking hate the beatles but whatever i think is good people usually disagree because it's too pleb or too outlandish
>>
>having a kid
>in an overpopulated world that gets closer to collapse every second
>with the possibility of being born with some horrible sickness
>with the possibility of dying on a car crash, losing a mother, being bullied at school, never finding employment, living a miserable life
>while fully able to adopt a kid already in need instead of bringing another need-machine into this wretched world
>one that gains nothing by entering sentience, and had everything when it was a non-being that didn't desire to be alive
the sympathy... it's gone. nice calm album tho
>>
>>71880650
>Stop moving the goalposts
How am I moving goalposts? Ir is this just a buzzword misuse like earlier when you said I was projecting?
>>71880650
>made you feel a very specific thing that you try to put into words
OK but if those words are "this is shit" and "I don't like it", you might be 5 years old. As adults we can better articulate our feelings as well as why they are formed.
>Woah, then screamo must be the peak of artistry, I mean the constant screaming just reflects their agony and how broken the world is right???
Sure, why not
>Because everyone dies one day, you imbecile, by crying about it forever you are only crippling yourself and giving yourself an excuse to be a talentless loser.
You are on the spectrum, aren;t you?
>Several family members died of natural causes, two of them killed themselves
When are you following suit? Maybe everyone will take your advice and not cry over you?
>>71880661
No, it wasn't supposed to be an argument. I am honestly asking if you are a fucking idiot
>>71880670
What's wrong with the Beatles? it's fine
>>
>>71880768
>How am I moving goalposts
You said context matters, since you also said that subjective opinion isn't a thing you are, within context, implying that all opinions are objective
Emphasis on the word "implication"
I don't understand how you can evaluate art when you can't even read between the lines and understand that words go beyond what is actually being said

>As adults we can better articulate our feelings as well as why they are formed
Except your only argument in this case is "context"
if you only base your arguments and opinions around context you will no doubt reach a conclusion that absolute shite

>lol u r autistic
Nice argument, really goes to show how much of a retard you are
>>
>>71880835
>since you also said that subjective opinion isn't a thing
Quote me where I said that.
>I don't understand how you can evaluate art when you can't even read between the lines and understand that words go beyond what is actually being said
That's because you have no clue what I'm telling you, and you are too autistic to work outside of your own little head to understand
>Except your only argument in this case is "context"
Yep. that's fine.
>if you only base your arguments and opinions around context you will no doubt reach a conclusion that absolute shite
What do you mean?
>Nice argument
No, I am actually asking if you are autistic because you are showing three signs of autism:
1) all or nothing thinking
2) lack of empathy
3) patterned thought process
>>
>>71880898
>not loving an album solely because the artist lost his wife = being literally autistic
lol
>>
>>71880934
>all or nothing thinking
>>
philshills on red alert itt
>>
>>71880956
It was Antoine Fantoine the whole time
>>
>>71880944
try re-reading what that fallacy means before you embarrass yourself more kid
>>
>>71875468
>Stop trying to make it harder for him.
Yeah, I'm sure Phil's browsing /mu/ right now wondering what we think about his newest release.
>>
>>71880977
Which fallacy?
>>71880956
Not really. I just like to fuck with autists. Because lets face it, the only two arguments these cretins can come up with against it is
>I don't like it, so it's bad
and
>wah wah stop taking about your dead wife!
>>
>>71879354
>lol he's even said in an interview that it's barley music
the barely music part was my complaint about it. the bluntness of the lyrics is actually a strong point but its just like how the instruments are not even "riffs" and the singing really verges on if talking with a tune... I'll never listen to this album again
>>
>>71881043
>how the instruments are not even "riffs" and the singing really verges on if talking with a tune
But that fits, emotionally, with the blunt theme.
>>
>>71880898
>Quote me where I said that.
>>71879996 >>71880086 >>71880316 >>71880898

>lol u r autistic xDDD
You just invalidated your entire argument
Even my 14 year old brother can formulate better arguments than you

>What do you mean?
Oh I'm sorry, you're too autistic to understand

>No, I am actually asking if you are autistic because you are showing three signs of autism:
>1) all or nothing thinking
>2) lack of empathy
>3) patterned thought process

1) if you present options A or B, the answer will be either A or B, consider it a test, but since on the subject of music there can be thousands of different things to evaluate upon, we reach again the the topic of opinions, which you so hate because
oh shit
you have the "all or nothing thinking", since you can't realize that people aren't the same, everyone interprets things differently and can formulate opinions separate from those of others
2) I don't lack empathy, I simply accept the universe as is and I am at peace thanks to that
I bet you cry over spilled milk as well, you big baby
3) Except given that you only rely on "context" to form an opinion, instead of your brain and numerous amount of senses, you're the one with a patterned thought process

You sure you're not autistic, buddy?
You sure do talk like one.
>>
My only gripe with it is that literally nothing he sings rhymes and he's forcing his sentences to match the melodies. You could literally sing anything over these tracks if they were instrumentals and you could make it match what he's doing.
>>
>>71881020
"Which fallacy?," he says to a post replying to his own four words "all or nothing thinking"
I'm starting to think YOU'RE the autistic one here
>>
>replace "garbage fire death" with "cancer death" the album
>>
>>71881099
>>>71879996 (You) >>71880086 (You) >>71880316 (You) >>71880898 (You)
Hmmm, none of these posts have the words "Subjective opinions aren't a thing". Care to try again?
>since you can't realize that people aren't the same, everyone interprets things differently and can formulate opinions separate from those of others
lol I've literally been talking to you this whole thread, asking about your opinion because I care. You are not observant.
>I don't lack empathy
>(boo hoo his wife died)
Sure
>Except given that you only rely on "context" to form an opinion,
When did I say that? Please quote specifics. I have no time for your strawmen
>>71881154
I repeat: which fallacy?

Maybe you don't know what a fallacy is?
>>
>>71881242
Holy shit, you really are autistic
Your spectrum must span further than that of electromagnetic radiaton
>>
>>71881267
>I've literally been talking to you this whole thread, asking about your opinion because I care. You are not observant.
>Holy shit, you really are autistic
>>
>>71881281
>I defend garbage on an anonymous forum for several hours because I'm a pretentious retard

Yes, you're autistic
You don't understand the meanings of the words you say, you don't understand what context is despite preaching about it so much and you wouldn't know a well-composed piece if it hit you right in the face, instead preferring shoddily played tunes and uninspired lyricism
You are the definition of autism
>>
>>71877365
> this is what /mu/ thinks an alpha is

holy shit, no wonder all of you get so riled up when you get called nu-males
>>
>>71881340
Non sequitur
>>
>>71881393
>non sequitur
Same can be said about almost every one of your posts you fucking imbecile
>>
>>71881432
Oh you don't seem to know what a non sequitur is I see
>>
>>71881440
Nice strawman, autismo
>>
>>71881458
>>71881440
>>71881432
>>71881393
the cringiest type of 4chan argument is the one containing more than one poster who's read a couple wikipedia articles on logical fallacies and thinks they know shit. please stop.
>>
>>71881501
don't stop them. watching retards fight can be fun.
>>
>>71881501
You really added a lot to the argument
Congrats anon
Sadly you won't get anything from me since your wife isn't dead from cancer
>>
>>71881458
Oh you don't seem to know what a strawman is I see
>>
>>71881543
Did you know that constantly repeating meaningless things is a sign of autism?
How does that make you feel, bubble boy?
>>
This album was objectively bad
the context does not change a thing, nu-males
>>
>>71875430
Dawg, you need to have a little empathy and try being a fucking human for once, okay? The guy lost his fucking wife, on a human level I empathize with him so deeply and I listen to this record in solidarity with him. Try doing the same instead of thinking you're too cool to feel anything and fucking empathize with another human.
>>
>>71881577
>Dawg
>>
>>71881569
>Did you know that constantly repeating meaningless things
Except everything I've said logically follows the previous post.

Nice try though
>>
>>71881615
Yeah, everything an autist screeches is logical to an autist, you autist

Nice try though, autismo
>>
>>71876372
Kys
>>
>>71881637
While I don't agree with your opinion, I do respect it and I'm glad you shared it with me anon. :)
>>
>>71881660
Guess what autismo
I don't care
>>
>>71881711
>Lack of Empathy
>>
>>71875524
>You need life experience and the ability to empathise in order to fully appreciate this album for what it is: A man dealing with a loss that none of the meme posters on here can appreciate
I'm going to be thirty in a year basically, and I've experienced real loss. I appreciate the concept of the album, as a concept, it's great. However, I feel he could have executed the concept much better, and the album sonically is just nothing more than a 2.5-3/5. The lyrics are blunt, and yes I know that was intentional, but with a little more effort much more emotion could have been conveyed I feel. The music itself, is lacking greatly, sounding at times like some shit you would find on bandcamp made by an amateur. I guess it's a "good" album because of the concept/circumstances surrounding the production and release of this album, but outside that, it's forgettable and nothing I am going to revisit any time soon, if at all.

Sufjan, while it was not his wife, wrote an album dealing with a serious loss in his life, and it was much better in every possible way. Now you may use the argument "muh he didn't make his grief album in the way I wish he did" argument, but if we're talking about my view of the album, then if I don't like how it sounds, I still can say that's how I feel about it.

I'm sorry for Phil and his family. I hope they get through this hard time and brighter things are ahead, but I won't sit here and pretend this is AOTY 2017 because of the tragedy that struck them.

My best friend overdosed and died in the within the past few months, if I go in bandcamp and write an album about it will I get a high score on pitchfork and everyone on /mu/ riding my jock?
>>
>>71881749
>not caring about meaningless opinions means you lack empathy

Jeez, you really are autistic
>>
>>71881751
>My best friend overdosed and died in the within the past few months,
Unless he was also your husband and you had a few children, you aren't going through what Phil did

Nice try though
>>
>>71881826
I forgot grief is a contest.
>>
>>71881821
>all or nothing thinking
>>
>>71881844
>let me parrot more things out of context

At least you tried, autismo
>>
>>71881843
Well you seemed to remember that music is a contest
>>
>>71881861
>repeated thought patterns
>>
>>71881862
Well there are various companies, independent critics and other outlets that review and rate music, whereas I am unfamiliar with any that review and rate grief.

Stating my opinion on an album is completely valid.

You're just upset I don't think this album is half of what it's chalked up to be, and apparently my life experiences (only one of which I listed), while you don't know the circumstances or how much it affected my life, seem to think they're somehow less than whatever Phil is going through, so instantly my opinion is invalid.
>>
>>71882057
>You're just upset I don't think this album is half of what it's chalked up to be
Not really. You can believe what you want
>and apparently my life experiences (only one of which I listed), while you don't know the circumstances or how much it affected my life
What were they? tell us
>less than whatever Phil is going through, so instantly my opinion is invalid.
Well wait, you were the one who brought it up to back up your opinion
>>
>>71876372
This album wasn't made for you, it wasn't made for anybody.
>>
>>71882591
>it wasn't made for anybody.
then why release it? why not just keep a copy for yourself if it isn't made for anyone else to consume?
>>
>>71882640
Because people already paid for it from the Kickstarter
>>
>>71882479
>Not really. You can believe what you want
it got enough of a response for you to continue this conversation.
>What were they? tell us
"yeah anon tell us so we can invalidate them and/or shit on you for what they were." I'm all set on that.
>Well wait, you were the one who brought it up to back up your opinion
well >>71881826 seemed to heavily imply that my opinion was invalid because of the specifics of the example provided. At least that's how it seemed to me.
>>
>>71882696
>Because people already paid for it from the Kickstarter
Why not sell some poster, buttons, or random merch instead for the kickstarter? Clearly the album was made with some sort of intended listener besides himself if that's the case.
>>
I fucking hate nu-males
>>
>>71882734
>it got enough of a response for you to continue this conversation.
Oh, you aren't here to discuss music?
>"yeah anon tell us so we can invalidate them and/or shit on you for what they were." I'm all set on that.
OK continue to lie on the internet, doesn't bother me
>well >>71881826 (You) seemed to heavily imply that my opinion was invalid because of the specifics of the example provided.
well >>71881751 seemed to heavily imply that your opinion was valid because of the specifics of the example provided. At least that's how it seemed to me.
>>71882844
He's an artist. Artists make art.
>>
>>71882996
>Oh, you aren't here to discuss music?
we are having a discussion about music though? The discussion being about our differing views on the album and the reasons contributing to them. Although it's more so you picking apart my original post and first response and me replying to it becuase I have nothing better to do.
>OK continue to lie on the internet, doesn't bother me
I'd link his obit but I don't really feel like having his family deal with a bunch of 4chan trolls going and finding him on social media. As far as other things in my life, there's been more bad than good, I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not, why would I lie on an anonymous message board, it's not like I'm going to gain any sort of positive reputation or respect since there's no name attached to my posts. That and it'd be childish to make this shit up.
>well >>71881826 (You) seemed to heavily imply that my opinion was invalid because of the specifics of the example provided.
I meant to imply that since I experienced a close death that I still haven't really gotten over, that if I go write an album about it, despite how pedestrian it sounds as a final product, that it should receive higher than usual critical reception than if I just made some shitty album in general.
>>
>>71879348
Interestingly Bach wrote his chaconne in D minor for solo violin shortly after his wife's death. It's an incredibly powerful piece of music you should give it a listen
>>
File: lmao.png (92KB, 926x241px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
92KB, 926x241px
Reminder this is how Mount Eerie/Microphones fans see themselves as
>>
>>71883393
>Although it's more so you picking apart my original post
Yes, a music discussion. Why post if you don't want it?
>I'd link his obit but I don't really feel like having his family deal with a bunch of 4chan trolls going and finding him on social media.
OK continue to lie on the internet, doesn't bother me
>why would I lie on an anonymous message board
Why would you tell the truth? it's not like I'm going to gain any sort of positive reputation or respect since there's no name attached to my posts
>I meant to imply that since I experienced a close death that I still haven't really gotten over, that if I go write an album about it, despite how pedestrian it sounds as a final product, that it should receive higher than usual critical reception than if I just made some shitty album in general.
No you didn;t.
>>
File: img.png (15KB, 528x434px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
15KB, 528x434px
>>71883850
Here's your (you). What began as my critique of A Crow.. devolved into childish bullshit, probably partially due to me continuing to respond to your posts,Now it's completely removed from anything about music in general. Enjoy your shitty album and continue to lie to yourself it's good because muh dead wife.
>>
>>71884229
>here let me start a music discussion
>no wait I don't want to discuss it
OK
>devolved into childish bullshit
Explaining your opinions is childish? That's what grownups do
>Enjoy your shitty album and continue to lie to yourself it's good because muh dead wife.
Nice backpedaling
>>
>>71881076
at what point is it just music thats supposed to be bad though? it doesnt count as good
>>
>>71884559
>at what point is it just music thats supposed to be bad though?
Not relevant, since the music here is good
>>
>>71884595
then I guess 3/4 of bandcamp bedroom folk is too then.
>>
>>71884638
Yeah, it's fine.

Maybe the problem here is your concept of good music?
>>
>>71879904
Yeah you're fine, there's nothing wrong with not liking it and even though I love it I can see why others don't (it's all very mid tempo and samey musically, the lyrics are super blunt, etc). It's just the shitposters that are irritating.
>>
>>71884656
thats not the same person talking fwiw, I totally respect the fact you think its good music,
>>
>>71879904
i agree, as a matter of fact im getting really tired of this whole "its not good and thats the point" father john misty
>>
>>71884854
Thanks
>>
>>71879904
I've said this in so many different phrasings but apparently "I appreciate it for what it is, but don't find it to be that great of an album" is what the correct response is to not set off a litany of butthurt responses.
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.