[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantano is a genius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 4

File: 65876567985746.png (962KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
65876567985746.png
962KB, 1366x768px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbWyn-h-Oc
>>
>>71858013
Stop shilling yourself, cunt.
>>
>>71858025
Nice meme, now go back to being a pleb.
>>
>>71858025
hownewru?
>>
YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE HIS WIFE DIED BOOOO
>>
>>71858013
But it really isn't good. I feel like maybe my ears don't work because why is this getting good reviews?
>>
>>71858043
>>71858182
>implying Anthony never posts his own reviews here
>>
>>71858208
Because you are a beta faggot who hasn't the slightest clue on how to listen to and judge music.
>>
>>71858208
it's only getting rated this high because of the circumstance that inspired Phil to write this album.
>>
>>71858225
Even if that was true I'm still not Fantano.
>>
>>71858232
t. failed brain transplant
>>
>>71858208
muh dead wife
>>
>>71858225
>932,000 subscribers
>/mu/ hatewatches ever video he posts

Yeah I'll go ahead and be the one to say that Anthony Fantano probably no longer posts his reviews here
>>
Sauna was better.
>>
>>71858013
Looks like I'm gonna have to listen to it.
If fantano likes something, I have to listen to it
>>
I just cried to seaweed
>>
notice how everytime he says the name of his wife it sounds like it's a post recorded audio, like if he replaced what he said in the original video with the name of Phil's death wife
>>
love all these idiots on here saying "you only like it because his wife died" like that's suppose to be some sort of damning statement. are you too autistic to realize that personal circumstances like that are often what makes albums like this special? same thing with skeleton tree or blackstar. music doesn't exist in a bubble and the emotions put into a piece of art absolutely do elevate it. you people are honestly convinced yourself there's some kind of scientific objectivity to music, your brains are broken.
>>
>>71858530
I know what happened. He accidentally pronounced her name, Genevieve, as we in America do. However, she is actually French Canadian and Geneviève has a different pronunciation in French. Instead of saying JEN-EH-VEEV, it's pronounced JEUNE-VEE-EVV.
>>
>>71858583
this
>>
>>71858530
He probably pronounced her name Gen-er-veeve instead of the French pronunciation
>>
Fantano got that rating right. Anything who thinks the album is overrated because his wife died is letting their autism get in the way of their feelings.
>>
>>71858225
He didn't, he only did mini amas like years ago
>>
>>71858583

agree, that's a very shallow criticism
>>
>>71858583
>you people are honestly convinced yourself there's some kind of scientific objectivity to music
welcome to /mu/

>your brains are broken.
welcome to 4chan
>>
>>71858583
>implying this garbage id to be compared to Skeleton Tree and Blackstar

Off your fucking self
>>
>>71858583

>are you too autistic

they are
>>
>>71858699
That anon wasn't comparing them in terms of quality, which is subjective. You are free to think that Mount Eerie's album is great or awful. That's fine. But to criticize it for that reason as that anon said here >>71858583 is ridiculous as it shares that same value as those two albums.
>>
>>71858596
Damn, I've been saying her name wrong
>>
goddamn dont spoil it
>>
>>71858583
But is that not a valid criticism? It seems like that's more of a response to the people praising it because it's so raw and vulnerable (dead wife confessions). Neither points on their own are strong arguments for or against but don't act like people are pulling the "muh dead wife" out of nowhere.
>>
>>71858624
>>71858596
Why would he not know how is wife's name is pronounced?
>>
>>71858752
kys yourself
>>
>>71858747
I did too until I heard him say her name in Crow. You can hear it at 1:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r5y-6tapYo
>>
>>71858699

>unironically liking Memewie
>thinking Skeleton Tree isn't one of Nick Cave's worst albums (mad respect for the dude though)
>>
>>71858781
He's not French
>>
so did anyone like, not really /enjoy/ this album?
Like, it was a very beautiful, personal listen, that really moved and hurt me, but I didn't have even a little bit of like fun, or get any enjoyment in the way I traditionally enjoy music. Like, even with carrie and lowell, I can sing along and feel good listening, but this is nothing like that. it hurts to listen. It feels so close. It feels like I wasn't ever supposed to hear these songs
>>
>>71858834
It's his best since The Boatman's Call at the very least
>>
>>71858855
It was a completely one sided experience. We had to hear Phil go on about his wife while, to use your example, in Carrie and Lowell it seemed more like Sufjan bringing us with him.
>>
>>71858849
I thought you were talking about Phil not Fantano, lmao
>>
>>71858753
>"you only like it because his wife died"
>But is that not a valid criticism?
Not that anon but no it is not valid criticism because I have been in most of these threads on here and those responses were all made without inquiring further as to why other anons like the album. They just say "you only like it because his wife died" in one way or another.
>>
>>71858855
You should seriously watch Fandingo's review because judging by your post I don't think you have.
>>
>>71858871

he will never come close to topping Tender Prey

I like him but Skeleton Tree was weak

and Bowie was a hack
>>
>>71858887
kek
>>
>>71858911
I did, my guy. I agree with fantano, but I din't see many people talking about that point specifically
>>
>>71858888
If I say that I don't like the album because it relied on a dead wife then that's a valid criticism. But, if I say I don't like it because other people are praising it because of a dead wife, that's not a valid criticism.

I can choose to dislike an album for whatever reason I want but, to be fair, it should be about the album itself and not other people's opinions on the album.
>>
>>71858834
If you think Skeleton Tree is one of his worst albums but A Crow Looked at Me is good or one of Phil's best then you should really do it and neck yourself my man
>>
>>71858855
thats the whole point
>>
>>71858978
valid criticism is a stretch but of course youre free to not like it for whatever reason.

what you're really saying is that you don't like it because its about his dead wife and its extremely personal. it's not enjoyable to listen to. at all. honestly i don't think you're supposed to 'like' it anyway, rather we should understand it. its honestly just a feel-along experience. like fantano said, basking in someone's pain. i can't even listen to the songs for too long because my dad died 3 months and 2 days ago at 54.
>>
I'm not feeling the lyrics on this album.
I get that it's supposed to be sad, but the lyrics are so flat its not doing anything for me. It's basically just an autobiography at this point. The lyrics would be more affecting if he did it more artfully.
>>
>>71858998

>telling someone on 4chan to kill themselves over a music opinion

wow dude you're so cool and edgy I bet you're really tough IRL, how many bitches did you fuck this week so far?
>>
>>71859113
>I get that it's supposed to be sad, but the lyrics are so flat its not doing anything for me. It's basically just an autobiography at this point. The lyrics would be more affecting if he did it more artfully.
I felt the same way, but I got shit on for my opinion. This is Blackstar 2.0 where if you don't like it, you're autistic and an asshole. But the difference is Blackstar was actually more than a mediocre album.

I feel bad for Phil, I lost someone really close to me recently myself, and I can at least to a degree understand the pain he's going through, but it doesn't excuse the flaws the album has and make it amazing.

It's a good snapshot of grief and pain, and a way for him to expose us to his personal life in a very open way, but I won't sit here and say it's even close to being a 9/10 or album of the year (so far).
>>
>>71858013
listening through it for the first time right now. Are the vocals are really bad, or what? I don't know if I can possibly like something like this. I will try tho
>>
>>71859928
Are the vocals really bad*

It sounds to me like he's out of tune all the fucking time, I dunno
>>
DUDE I KILLED MY WIFE FOR BNM LMAO
>>
>>71858583
But Skeleton Tree and Blackstar are both actually good.
>>
>>71859181
>This is Blackstar 2.0 where if you don't like it, you're autistic and an asshole

But how come this wasn't said of Carrie and Lowell or Skeleton Tree?
>>
>>71860034
carrie and lowell came out first you mong
even if it didn't it might have but again it's on par with a crow
>>
>>71858855
listen to the body i should die here it feels the same
>>
>>71859947
>Are the vocals really bad*
>It sounds to me like he's out of tune all the fucking time, I dunno
is this your first time listening to the microphones/ mount eerie?
>>
>>71860058
>carrie and lowell came out first you mong

I realize that, I'm saying that no one had any qualms about it when that "muh dead mommy!!" narrative was getting pushed.

Granted I think it's a musically and lyrically superior album.
>>
>>71858583
"his wife died" is not a valid argument
this kind of situation may give the songwriter the tools to make good album, but it doesn't make the album good
>>
Is this a great album purely from a musical standpoint?
>>
>>71860167
not >>71860058 but >>71859181. I wasn't around (on /mu/ or paying much attention to new releases due to personal issues in my life) for when Skeleton Tree came out so I can't say in that situation.

As far as Carrie & Lowell it was just a better album and the instrumentation and lyricism were much better than anything on A Crow Looked At Me. On top of that /mu/ seems to like Sufjan better than Phil in general which is probably why the C&L opinions weren't as polarized. All that being said, I appreciated the album for what it is, but it's not AOTY material, and I feel a lot of people are just jumping on the hype train because if you aren't highly rating it because of the circumstance, you're an autistic asshole.

It's not a bad album, the concept in general is probably the best part about it (in terms of artistic quality), and some parts made me a bit emotional as I just lost one of my closest friends a month ago as well as my cat, but I won't lie to myself and say this album is some amazing recording that I will cherish for years.
>>71860270
pretty much how I feel summed up much better than I tried to
>>71860299
not really, no.
>>
>>71860299
Not really, but that's sort of the charm of this kind of indie. It's as emotionally raw as the playing.
>>
File: strong9.jpg (71KB, 721x493px) Image search: [Google]
strong9.jpg
71KB, 721x493px
androgynous filipino plz go.
>>
Jesus Christ guys when he says "I went back to feel alone" just like he did in The Moon did something fierce to me hot damn
>>
>>71858583
Inspiration in music doesnt sonically make it better.
>>
>>71862260
Sonically interesting sounds aren't the only thing that make music good.
>>
>>71860322
Nobody is jumping on a hype train about a dead guys wife, a lot of people heavily affected by this album. Why is that so hard to believe.

This album attempts to do something entirely different from C&L, it's absurd to compare them. Yes Carrie and Lowell by traditional standards is a "better" put together album, but A Crow... was a far more devastating listen to me in how it was both lyrically and musically presented. Phil is just doing something fundamentally different, technically experimental with this album but it accomplishes its goals as well as i could possibly imagine and provides a pretty emotionally intense experience. If something can do that, by whatever means, then IMO it's a pretty fucking good album.
>>
>>71858834
>Memewie
that's a new one
>>
>>71862898
It was thrown around a lot when Blackstar came out and similar discussions were had about the album.
>>
>>71862260
>probably a sociopath
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 260x200px
Is it really so hard for you autists to understand that art is subjective and can't be judged by objective standards? And that art can be either a form of emotional expression or aesthetic expression and not necessarily both?
>>
File: 1487708630712.png (124KB, 750x780px) Image search: [Google]
1487708630712.png
124KB, 750x780px
>>71863607
you are the only person who understands this. how do you do it?
>>
>>71863607

>art is subjective and can't be judged by objective standards?

do you really believe this?
>>
>>71858013
56 seconds in and he mentions the wife
>>
>>71863794
It's an universal truth. Don't we rank albums in a numerical scale here?
>>
>>71863607
And who in this thread said anything about objectivity?

It's perfectly valid to criticize an album on the grounds of its aesthetics, according to a given framework ("poorly played", etc.)

It may all be subjective in the end, but ignoring any discussion of technicality just blinds you to all the ways art communicates meaning.
>>
>>71864406
>It's perfectly valid to criticize an album on the grounds of its aesthetics
Not necessarily. And you're assuming that technicality is important all the time.
>>
>>71860270
>hurr durr his wife dying doesn't make the album good

the thing is it's not just a "tool to make a good album," it's literally the entire premise of the album.

like, it's not like it's just a circumstance that inspired the album, this experience is LITERALLY the album, in the form of him expressing his grief in a really blunt way.
>>
>>71865204
>And you're assuming that technicality is important all the time.

I am? All I'm saying is that it's a completely reasonable viewpoint, even if you make the argument that a particular album's appeal doesn't lie in its aesthetics.

For example, I could get a 5 year old to scribble a painting with his own shit, and say that "it's totally conceptual, technicality isn't the POINT, man".

Well sure, you could say that. Doesn't distract from the fact that it looks like shit on a technical level. (And on a conceptual level, but you get the idea.) The fact that it looks shitty is completely worth noting in its overall appeal.
>>
>>71865361
>The fact that

Er, "idea".
>>
>>71865361
Your example doesn't work because a baby doesn't smear his shit as a form of artistic expression (or in Phil's case, just expression not intended by him as art but that inevitably comes out as such).
>>
>>71858013
If he were actually a genius, he would be making music instead of reviewing it.
Or doing literally anything that requires real creativity instead of spending his time explaining what makes other people's art good or bad.
>>
>>71858013
I'm convinced none of you have empathy and that's why you hate this album
>>
>>71862514
This
>>
>>71866755
>because a baby doesn't smear his shit as a form of artistic expression

You're completely missing the point. I'm not even arguing about intentionality. Just say that I'M the one smearing my own shit randomly then, and that I did this to convey some sort of artistic message, or to abstractly voice my emotional pain like Phil did.

The example is to illustrate the idea that, JUST BECAUSE you can claim a certain artwork's appeal is more in the concept (in the album's case, the emotions of grief), doesn't invalidate someone's feeling that it looks/sounds like shit by traditional standards of technicality. Saying that something is poorly played isn't much different from saying it's blue, or it uses acoustic instruments, or it's lo-fi. It's just another feature of the work.
>>
>>71867275
You could smear your own shit in a canvas as a deliberate form of expression and that would be a valid example of modern art. Imagine how dumb it would be if someone comes and says "well this is bad because it stinks and doesn't look pretty. Paintings are supposed to be this and that and this doesn't fulfill those requirements so I don't see why everybody's raving about it".
>>
>>71858208
Same as Skeleton Tree "much dead son" and Blackstar "muh dead Bowie" and Carrie & Lowell "muh dead mum". Death is the easiest way for white artists to get perfect scores, almost as easy as a black artist making a BLM record.
>>
>>71858583
Blackstar was different, it had metaphors, deeper meanings. It had bridges and crippling emotion. This entire record feels phoned in, its nowhere near the amount of emotion that Bowie. It's not the same when someone else dies, compared to when you know that your existence will end soon.
>>
>>71858914
The Good Son, From Her to Eternity, Firstborn is Dead are all better than Tender Prey.
>>
>>71867460
>Imagine how dumb it would be if someone comes and says

But that wouldn't be dumb at all, in fact it's a common complaint that modern art ignores traditional standards in favor of conceptual wankery which doesn't resonate with anyone but the most theory-obsessed academics. The fact that it can alienate a significant portion of its audience is worth talking about.

And in the end ANY criticism of art amounts to saying "well, this artwork would be better if it were done according to MY STANDARDS of goodness".
>>
>>71867917
Exactly. That was my main point. Art is subjective and can't be scrutinized and measured under objective standards.
>>
>>71867989
>Art is subjective

Read my post chain, I never denied this.

>can't be scrutinized and measured under objective standards

How on earth does this follow from my post? I literally just said that you can, though it's completely up to you whether you think that scrutiny and measurement is relevant to the artwork's merits or not.

A lot of people have a strong sense of traditional standards, and a lot of people feel disgust when they hear something poorly played by traditional standards. My point is just that, if ANY criticism can be considered valid, then so should that one.

If you don't think any kind of criticism of art is valid, then why are you here?
>>
>>71858241
Nice try, melonboi
>>
One of his best reviews he's done. This album is really good from an instrumental POV, and the lyrics are nothing less than soulcrushing. The final line on "My Chasm" gave me a feeling that I have never had before listening to music. It literally feels like Phil breaks the 4th wall to tell you, personally, that death is real and it is terrible and that you will experience it.

Fantano put it best, this is not entertainment. But it is a tremendous piece of art.
>>
It's better than Glow Pt. 2 and anyone who says otherwise is a fucking brainlet retard.
>>
>>71860270
holy fuck why are you demanding that someone give a "valid argument" for enjoying something? it's music dude holy shit go outside
>>
>>71868171
Just because a form of art can be criticized by many standards doesn't mean it can be by all of them, sometimes not even the traditional ones, like in this case. Would you consider saying that your painting made with shit "lacks color and definition" a valid form criticism because it comes from traditional standards?
>>
This album is the musical equivalent of the coloring your kid did that you put on the fridge and insist that everyone look at but your one friend gets upset when your neighbor doesn't like it and tells him that he wouldn't hate it if he had kids but the neighbor says its just a kids drawing and it's nothing special and not to get so worked up about it just because the kid was hit by the ice cream truck.
>>
>>71862368

Its what makes it SOUND good. Thats all that matters when it comes to music
>>
>>71862368
Let me guess... you don't play any instruments or aren't particularly talented at any.
>>
>>71869173
>Thats all that matters when it comes to music

wanna know how I know that you never went to a good music school
>>
>>71869173
>music's sonic qualities are the only thing that makes it sound good
You legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.

And you can just pretend like it exists in a bathroom but there a space has obviously beem created to value performance/songwriting in music, and it a been like that for a pretty long time.

This kind of assertion that I see you poser fags hold with so much pride doesn't make you look smarter, just ignorant.

>>71869185
This is a stupid argument that's just going to turn into a pissing contest, but I probably play more instruments and have been writing and composing music for longer than than you.
>>
>>71869339
*exists in a vacuum, but A

autocorrect
>>
>>71858583

you know I understand the fact that his wife died but all in all, it's not good music, if crazy frog made an album about death would you consider it's brilliance even if it sound the same?
>>
>>71869420
if Crazy Frog literally made the same album as ACLAM, I would love it
>>
Reminds me of Kid A. Just no hope throughout the whole album just cold and brutal hits of death, disassociation, and loss. But this album hits harder than Thom Yorke ever could.
>>
>>71869462

with additional bing bing and bong bongs?
>>
>>71869420
You don't get to decide what is and isn't good music.

It uses songs to accomplish a specific artistic goal and elicit specific emotional results in the listener, and does do 100%. That's good music.
>>
>>71869339
I'm just meme'in playa. I've found (perceived) emotion to often be important in vocal delivery, but I'm mostly a robotic riff-fag. I find cold, calculated skill to be more important in writing the catchiest or heaviest chord progressions and riffs, though it is sometimes possible to come up with awesome stuff on the spot when you're really feeling it. Also, Ive noticed periods of creative productivity can (for me) coincide with either long periods of depression or just manic afternoons, or times before or right after sleep.

For pissing contest/civil discussion reference, I started cello at 9, got all cello youve got a bass at 11, guitar and drums soon after, no singing/brian wilson phase till 21, no real writing till the 22ish
>>
>decent to strong 9

Did emotion hit the meme head?
>>
>>71869507
death is bing bing
you are the bong bong
>>
Fantano is cool
>>
dead wife aside, is the music actually good?
>>
>>71867105
you cant just dismiss criticism of this album as being sociopathic thats idiot talk, however im listening to it again and its good but not "AOTC dont even try to make a sadder album", its 8/10 really
>>
reminder that /mu/ is populated by edgy kids under 20 years old. Literally take none of their shit opinions and criticisms seriously
>>
>>71869633
Yes, seriously one of the best album of this decade, but prepare for the feels though
>>
>>71869745
>reminder that /mu/ is populated by edgy kids under 20 years old
just turned i see, my bday was on the 14th :^)
>>
>>71858232
This is my favourite meme retards parade around whenever an artist makes something strongly tied to the death of a loved one
>>
>>71867460
first of all modern art is now dead you fucking idiot,second of all this is the most cliché thing you could say about art, now listen to this and learn you fucking retard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gVJ1IRxA0
>>
>>71867105
Honestly this could be pure projection and is mostly unrelated,

It's clear that with a different mindest most average guys are actually capable of maintaining a social circle and supporting themselves.

You are all empaths, extremely sensitive people who need reassurance and validation to do basic tasks. The reason you were bullied as a kid isnt because you were ugly, you were just "that" kid.

The quiet one, the nervous one, you wanted to be evil but you just couldnt do it. By the time you ended up evil, people had already been past that years ago.

And this site is just a justification for what is likely mental illness.

this is an edgy topic thats going to trigger lots of people
>>
>>71871066
I'm not even saying I like modern art or consider it art. I'm saying someone aproaching a piece of modern art can consider it as such because modern art is a thing. Yes, """""""artists""""""" cumming on a canvas and selling it is """"""""art"""""""" according to some. Deal with it.
>>
i like the album but it's just... indie folk? like a nick drake kind of thing? there's nothing controversial about the sound at all, and i read "this is spoken word, it's not art" and alike, so i expected something wild, like field recordings-drone-folk, but really it's just [gentle folk album]. a very enjoyable, pleasant listen to have in the background, but not much else.
>>
The same people spouting the "muh dead wife" thing are the same people that say Ian Curtis's suicide makes Joy Divisions work better because it's real
>>
>>71858497
most underrated/best song on the album
>>
>>71871162
But it is art.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.